Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

FSX Fiber Accelerator?

Thanks a lot for this, but I can't get RunIf to do anything. I've verified the path, and checked the docs, but the only way I can seem to get Fiber to start is if I use Run1 (with no options of course). Any idea what might be wrong?

The only difference between Run1 and RunIf1 is that the latter doesn't do anything if the program is already running.

Note that you can only have 1 "RunIf1". For the next one it must be "RunIf2" etc -- i.e. increment the sequence number. Maybe you already had a RunIf1. Each parameter in an INI or CFG file must have a unique name -- hence the sequence numbers.

Also the "Ready" parameter says don't execute the parameter until FS is ready to fly.

The "Close" parameter is only relevant when you get to close FS.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Hi Ray,

Thanks a lot for this, but I can't get RunIf to do anything. I've verified the path, and checked the docs, but the only way I can seem to get Fiber to start is if I use Run1 (with no options of course). Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!

John Francis

[i completely misunderstood the nature of the READY option, as explained by Pete].

This will start and terminate Fiber upon launch and exit of FSX:

RunIf1=CLOSE,"C:\Program Files (x86)\FSPS\FSX Fiber Accelerator\FSX Fiber Accelerator.exe"

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

John Francis

[NinjaEdit] Removed bogus equals sign.

The only difference between Run1 and RunIf1 is that the latter doesn't do anything if the program is already running.

Note that you can only have 1 "RunIf1". For the next one it must be "RunIf2" etc -- i.e. increment the sequence number. Maybe you already had a RunIf1. Each parameter in an INI or CFG file must have a unique name -- hence the sequence numbers.

Also the "Ready" parameter says don't execute the parameter until FS is ready to fly.

The "Close" parameter is only relevant when you get to close FS.

Pete

Thanks, Pete! That was my source of confusion!

Regards,

John Francis

John Francis

Okay, I've figured this out... apparently the READY parameter doesn't work with Fiber.

Well, it certainly should do. All "READY" does is make FSUIPC wait till FS is ready to fly before running the program.

Are you sure FSUIPC is getting to the point where it knows FS is ready to fly? There should be a line saying "Starting everything now ..." in the FSUIPC4.LOG file. If there isn't, then FSUIPC is not actually starting up fully and will not be supplying the services to applications it should do, and other things might go wrong.

If you aren't sure, show me the log -- though it might be better to transfer this over to my Support Forum.

Pete

Well, it certainly should do. All "READY" does is make FSUIPC wait till FS is ready to fly before running the program.

Are you sure FSUIPC is getting to the point where it knows FS is ready to fly? There should be a line saying "Starting everything now ..." in the FSUIPC4.LOG file. If there isn't, then FSUIPC is not actually starting up fully and will not be supplying the services to applications it should do, and other things might go wrong.

If you aren't sure, show me the log -- though it might be better to transfer this over to my Support Forum.

Pete

Hi Pete,

No it works exactly as you explain. Unfortunately, a side effect of RunIf=READY, if you're runnning full screen, is that FSX bops back out to the desktop to fire up Fiber, which is sort of annoying. Dropping the READY and it just starts up with FSX which works perfectly for me.

Thanks!

John Francis

John Francis

@adam.

As already said the only thing that is related to fsx.cfg is the Target Frame entry which is changed by FSX when FSX closes. We told that from the first day, just exit FIBER before FSX and you are secured .

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the app that may harm your fsx in any way.

BD - thanks for your comprehensive (and very reassuring) answer - I hope we haven't forced you to give away any trade secrets!

As far as I'm concerned, it's "over and out" from me on this one (you'll be relieved to hear LOL).

Since my last post, I've rebuilt the shaders cache and re-indexed the sceneries. My FSX now seems to be back where it was (phew!!). Also - uninstalling FA properly from the Windows CP removed all traces of FA in the registry (apart from a couple of entries for the WinZip history, which is perfectly OK) - so I'm certainly not seeing any left-overs there.

So ... basically ... I can't comment on what's happening for others, but I'm all good now - many thanks!

BTW - I used to be a graphic designer before becoming a web developer, so "proof reading" *everything* is almost an impossible habit for me to break. Considering English isn't your 1st languge, you do damn' well :).

Adam.

Edited by n4gix
Do not quote the entire message when replying, please!

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Hi Pete,

No it works exactly as you explain. Unfortunately, a side effect of RunIf=READY, if you're runnning full screen, is that FSX bops back out to the desktop to fire up Fiber, which is sort of annoying. Dropping the READY and it just starts up with FSX which works perfectly for me.

Thanks!

John Francis

John, if you close FSX and FA is closing to, does your framelimiter change to unlimmited, my does so.

Cheers Tom

John, if you close FSX and FA is closing to, does your framelimiter change to unlimmited, my does so.

Cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, if I've been running in an area where Fiber has set the framerate to unlimited and I then exit the flight and exit FSX, Fiber is shut down, and the FSX framerate is left at unlimited. Don't know that there's a way around that (you might try KILL), but I'm more interested in having utilities start with FSX than the shutdown order, so it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Regards,

John Francis

John Francis

@vodoo try to make a new cfg. only some tweaks as Word Not Allowed suggest. Do not set your fsx settings to heavy, give it a bit space. Use NVI as Word Not Allowed suggest, maybe not the 1/2 refresh rate but vs on (I do this)

Beneath the feature what pete dowson ask for I ask for a possibillty to make setups for different planes. Why - cause different planes request different cpu and graphic power. Right now I fly the pmdg ngx. The start in edds with heavy rain asked the lower FA setting for 26 frames to stay in the green with cpu terrain power, in the air at fl380 the terrain power is at 90% but rhe fsx cpu load between 80 and 90%. With planes which are not so fsx cpu power demanding I could set it up with a hgher lower frame.

Also a shortcut for changing the lower frame slider would be very cool.

Kind regards Tom

Ps stupid me - easy to make presets with the FA settings.xml. Just some aliases on the desktop and a drop of the desired settings - done.

Well, despite an initial thought of waiting this one out... I went ahead and downloaded the longer demo.  To my (somewhat) surprise, this thing works, so I bought it.   

What I am finding is that the ability to dynamically tweak the sim while you are in session is tremendous.   For instance, mostly a lower frame rate of 23-24 will do pretty well for me.   However, if I am at a heavier FPS airport like KLAX and I am taxiing to the gate,  I can turn the lower FPS down to about 14 and the rendering of the airport etc, goes way up.     However, when I am departing and need smooth graphics, I can turn this Lower FPS up to 24 and depart no problem.  

Since this is a new tool, I'm still really learning the tactics of how to use this ability smartly.  Leads me to flying a lot in windowed mode.  I don't like that.

While the tool is great, I wish that there was an APP for this for the iPad or Android.   To be able to use simconnect to link an app that controlled FPS and graphics from a tablet, while in Full screen mode on the PC would be FANTASTIC.   To me this would be a killer app and I would pay for it. 

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

- Been at a "hard" situation while FIBER is forcing at that point FSX to change "Unlimited" fps. (You can see that either with shift+z or on the bottom bar on FIBER)

Fiber Accelerator is not only a "give you frames" application. Its job is to :

1) "Trying to give you the target frame rate when you are on a difficult situation"

2) "If you are on an easy situation tries to gives you the best possible graphics at max distance, keeping the frame rate" and

3) "If it can keep the target frame rate AND the best possible graphics THEN give further frames".

Hi Simmers,

actually that's doing the trick: switching from limted fps (what gives FSX time to draw sharp textures) to unlimted fps (which gives generally a plus of 5fps or more on my system, but leaves some blurries, when scenery is consuming ressources) ... and the point of switching is adjustable by setting the minimum fps in FA.

Everything else in the graphic management is done by FSX itself, isn't it? So to me it seems FA is JUST DOING THIS: switching between "limted" and "unlimited" fps at a certain framerate, which is set by the user.

Knowing this could take all the anxieties about mystic manipulation of FSX innards by FA, possibly doing any harm to preciuos settings.

Otherwise it could look a bit disappointing: That's ALL, what FA does?

To be honest: so far nobody had this Idea to switch automatically between "limted fps" and "unlimited fps". For my part - i did that manually when starting a flight at consuming sceneries fps set to unlimited, interrupting the flight when airborne and clean, adjusting to 30fps limit to get sharp ground textures, and while approaching to another heavy airport interrupting agian to return to unlimited fps. To get that done by FA helps a lot to enjoy my flights without fumbling with the options and settings inflight!

I have no idea how complicated was that to program.... but it is the idea, what counts, and FSPS are the first to come up with. It is a real innovation for FSX and makes my flights much more immersive.

I still might underestimate FA - is there MORE it does, then just to switch between "limted" and "unlimted" frames (and all the rest done by FSX)?

Point 2:  "If you are on an easy situation tries to gives you the best possible graphics at max distance, keeping the frame rate"

Does FA exceed the LOD radius beyond setting in FSX.cfg (in my case standard 4.5)? That could explain some OOMs, which I never have since DX10-Fixer (but happen with FA in NYC). Or is the graphic ressources management still handeled by FSX according to FSX.cfg. settings?

Point 3: "If it can keep the target frame rate AND the best possible graphics THEN give further frames".

Does FA switch to unlimited again, when fps are hitting the upper limit in FSX?

Greetings from Germany,

Michael

What I am finding is that the ability to dynamically tweak the sim while you are in session is tremendous.   For instance, mostly a lower frame rate of 23-24 will do pretty well for me.   However, if I am at a heavier FPS airport like KLAX and I am taxiing to the gate,  I can turn the lower FPS down to about 14 and the rendering of the airport etc, goes way up.     However, when I am departing and need smooth graphics, I can turn this Lower FPS up to 24 and depart no problem.  

That is exactly, why I like FA!

Looks like I be purchasing this addon this week, went and loaded  the ngx  at ymml (Orbox Airport) to yssy  I gained about 5 fps on the ground, At Sally vor  I gained 7, at Dosel vor I gained about 11fps,  and  at toc  I only  gained about 7 fps   so overall it has improved my fps  

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I always thought it would be fantastic, if we could not only make fixed settings in P3D/FSX but if we could set a target frame rate and a range for all the other settings (e.g. we could set autogen-building-settings in a range from “medium” to “max” / autogen-vegetation-settings from “high” to “max” / cloud shadow distance from 30 to 0 miles, water settings from … to …, etc, etc). This would enable the system to adjust certain values to keep fps at the target fps or in a certain range around it.

For example: When I fly over the back country all the values can be maxed out and still 30 fps can be reached. If I fly into Orbx San Francisco or default Seattle P3D/FSX would automatically tune down the “flexible” settings to maintain the target fps as good as possible. After I leave the city the settings should be increased as far as possible to have the best visual experience P3D/FSX can provide on that specific system.

In a second step this could be combined with a monitoring tool that detects if the current “bottle neck” results from a shortage of CPU-power or GPU-power. Then the most effective changes can be made to bring relief to the computer at the “lowest cost” of visual immersion. So if the fps suffers due to a lack of CPU-power (e.g. too much autogen, too much AI-objects) it does not help to tune down the shadows!

In a third step certain values of the simulation could be taken into account (e.g. (i) if you are at the ground you hardly need cloud shadows more than 10 km away, (ii) if you fly above 3,000 ft AGL you hardly need shadows from buildings and vegetation, (iii) if you fly there at night (in the dark) you may not even need any vegetation at all) and if you fly in the mid-west USA (or the Netherlands) you don’t need a mesh resolution of 5 m.

If this is what this tool does it is long awaited!          

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Great program, well worth the money!!

Didn't even bother with the demo. I just googled you tube for Fiber Accelerator and came across Frooglesims clip.

After watching that I was sold.

Parked at EGLL with EFB, AS Next,  Supertraffic board and Radar contact running I saw a FPS increase of 15 on my pc.

FroogleSim clip: 

I'm sold.

Thanks FSPS from a HAPPY customer.

Unfortunately, a side effect of RunIf=READY, if you're runnning full screen, is that FSX bops back out to the desktop to fire up Fiber, which is sort of annoying. Dropping the READY and it just starts up with FSX which works perfectly for me.

Okay, that's fine then. (I think I have the option set in FA which makes it start up minimised, which I also have for other programs I start with "READY").

Pete

Yes, if I've been running in an area where Fiber has set the framerate to unlimited and I then exit the flight and exit FSX, Fiber is shut down, and the FSX framerate is left at unlimited. Don't know that there's a way around that (you might try KILL), but I'm more interested in having utilities start with FSX than the shutdown order, so it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Hmm. That's a shame, though. It must be a timing issue, that though FA is certainly being told to close before FSUIPC and then FSX close, it's taking longer for you than it seems to here. With FSX that last thing it does is save the CFG file -- which is the reason options don't get saved if FSX doesn't close properly, with some add-on's thread still preventing it doing so.

I've just thought, one difference on my system is that I have 8 WideFS clients which are all sent close down messages when FS closes, and FSUIPC keeps fS running for a few seconds to ensure those messages go out correctly. That probably makes all the difference.

As you suggest, the "KILL" option might solve it -- that should make FA dramatically disappear in a way it cannot delay. The only downside of that would be if you'd changed any of its options and it saves them, like FSX, on close.

Regards

Pete

As a very sophisticated user of FSX and after a years of tweeking and searching for best solutions for my simulators, specialy for FSX, I can say only this: GREAT JOB GUYS !! Sceptical, very sceptical before, very surprised after! I can only say, go for it! My comp is high end system, tweeked, with NVidia inspector also, but with FSDT JFK + Aerosoft Manhattan: MA San Francisco KSFO + Aerosoft's San Francisco city (very demanding); MA Amsterdam EHAM and many other tested sceneries, with my old settings, just WOW! Better then ever before! I'm following all this discutions and I was realy sceptical, but now... I'm happy to fly with this program! GENIUS!