Sign in to follow this  
justinxfan

ORBX Files Got Deleted?

He did mentioned this happened after installing the latest Orbx library (not a good sign), hopefully it is something simple, but as mentioned I would ask over at the Orbx forum and perhaps they can help you with your specific issue.

Good luck Mark!

Doesn't FTX central remove the full-fat region entries from the scenery.cfg when it's set to global rather than just disabling them? That might explain Mark's issue?

OK, hadn't realized that. Let me check into it. I usually run Global and hybrid mode but had not noticed this before, although I don't visit my Scenery.cfg on a  regular basis! I just happened to notice that I am ~30 entries too short in my file for some reason. The rest you know.

Just to dispel any rumors, I have no pirated Orbx s/w on my PC. Every product fully paid for either through FSS or purchased boxed versions. All legit.

I have reported this issue over at the Orbx forums also, so hopefully they can shed some light on what transpired.

Thx for the insights and sorry for diverting the thread a little.

Cheers,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Problem solved!

Was running Global but Hybrid unchecked. Was unaware this "removed" all the FTX region entries from Scenery.cfg . All back when Hybrid was re-selected in FTX Central. "Panic" over. :smile:

Spoiler

Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge

Glad I could help Mark, I had a similar "where did my orbx entries go!?" moment a few months back :smile:

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yes, many thanks for that tip!  :wink:

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge

I can not understand how they can erase all folders (with vector, global etc...) when a installer found a pirate copy of, for example, one of them. Imagine you have bought Global & Europe LC and Vector has been downloaded in an illegal manner. All your bought soft will be also erased ??? what ??? And you will have to re-install windows ??? what ??? Why don´t they erase only the pirated soft ??? Are you sure they are going to delete all the Orbx folders ?

And better, why don´t they do the option to go and buy the soft and problem solved ??? I think the anticopy protection is extremely stronge and negative for it. All we know that re-install windows is a lost of time issue. In my opinion, they must give the option to buy the soft and thus remove the anti piracy protection. 

I can not understand how they can erase all folders (with vector, global etc...) when a installer found a pirate copy of, for example, one of them. Imagine you have bought Global & Europe LC and Vector has been downloaded in an illegal manner. All your bought soft will be also erased ??? what ??? And you will have to re-install windows ??? what ??? Why don´t they erase only the pirated soft ??? Are you sure they are going to delete all the Orbx folders ?

And better, why don´t they do the option to go and buy the soft and problem solved ??? I think the anticopy protection is extremely stronge and negative for it. All we know that re-install windows is a lost of time issue. In my opinion, they must give the option to buy the soft and thus remove the anti piracy protection.

This is how.

"Every now and again we release products (they can be Orbxlibs, regions, airports - these are random) where the installer checks for any evidence of past unauthorised Orbx products having been installed on your PC. In that instance if we detect a breach of the EULA, we reserve our right to remove all our intellectual property from the ORBX folder. You have essentially forfeited your privilege to use our software, so we're enforcing our rights as the owner and publisher of it. Please note that we do not touch anything outside the ORBX folder, nor interfere with your Windows or PC installation or other vendors' products."

Read more from the part I quoted here-> http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/105948-disappearing-orbx-folder-read-on/?page=1

If you're not installing pirated versions of their software then there is no need to worry or be upset. When you do buy their software and agree to their EULA then you're agreeing to have it all taken away from you if you breach the EULA as mentioned in the quoted text.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Castro,

You're not going to get an awful lot of sympathy around these parts (in fact anything other than "string the barstewards up by their nads" is usually met with suspicion and accusation).

Whilst I'm very uncomfortable with amateur vigilante software randomly deleting things (they may be pro scenery developers, but they are most definitely amateurs in the anti-piracy game, nor do I trust them not to give in to temptation to delete "just a little bit more"), and JVs statements are based on an interpretation of their EULA that is rather "generous" (to put it politely), it's hard to have sympathy for those that are downloading pirated stuff in such a small community.

So yeah, just do it legally and you won't have to worry.  And if they have genuinely screwed up and deleted everything in error, sue them.

I repeat. An example, as I said in a previous post .. "I can not understand how they can erase all folders (with vector, global etc...) when a installer found a pirate copy of, for example, one of them. >>>>Imagine you have bought Global & Europe LC and Vector has been downloaded in an illegal manner, because You thought to try before buy it <<<<" Are they going to delete all the ORBX folder ? And what´s happen with the bought products, GLOBAL and EUROPE ??? Will they been deleted ???

I don´t like this manner to give a solution to the problem. For example, what´s happen if the users decided to buy VECTOR ??? Will they also have to re-install windows ??? Three products bought and you have to re-install of windows ??? No my friend, ... This is not the way to solve the problem. In fact, I will not buy anything of ORBX if they "touch" my hard disk and, of course, I will not re-install windows to use their products. 

I understand Orbx could see if you have illegal copies of software and, in this case, delete it. I agree with it. But, if you buy the product, later and in your computer you only have legal copies, they must not to touch in your hard disk. Re-install windows, yes or yes, is unacceptable. 

Castro,  if you were to steel a car and drive this stolen car to a shop, you legitimately buy a Jacket,  you put this Jacket into the stolen car and drive around until a police person stops you and realizes that you have stolen this car, the police person will arrest you, take the car off you and everything inside, including your nice new Jacket.

Castro,  why do you think the Police person will take your new Jacket off you as well even though you purchased it legitimately?   

Thanks for your example. I only try to say that If you have an ilegal copy of VECTOR and you have bought GLOBAL and EUROPE LC they can not erase these two last ones. They can do it ? I will not buy anything more of ORBX, never. 

Respect to the jacket. I have the ticket, and it is mine. Orbx EULA talk about the Soft is not of our property, ok, but nevertheless, GLOBAL and EUROPE LC were bought and they should not be deleted. 

In your example above, they can and will erase all 3, Vector, Global and Europe LC as stated in their EULA. So I suspect you will no longer be buying anything from Orbx. Now you can remove Vector and re-install WIndows and re-install your legal copies of Global and Europe LC and that will work, it's a lot of work but unfortunately that is the price for having an illegal copy of their software on your machine.