Sign in to follow this  
justinxfan

ORBX Files Got Deleted?

After installing patches for several of my ORBX products, the files for many of my sceneries have completely vanished! Entire folders have been wiped! I first noticed this with the Vector files. Then, on the next start, more of the folders were gone!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I haven't been on the Orbx forums lately. So I don't know if you posted there as of yet... But you're more likely to find quicker answers there, provided you have your proof of purchases ready.

Yes! What's the matter?

olli4740 beat me to it.

You can tell I'm not a frequent poster but this has my curiosity for some odd reason. To be clear... What did you buy last week? And what exactly got deleted?

My only suggestion would be reinstall whatever got deleted. However, as stated previously, you will get more definitive answers from the Orbx forums on their own site. I would link it here but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

from eBay for $10.

LOL

Did you expect it to be unused? Why didn't you just get if from the approved store? flightismstore.com.

I'm sorry man but that wasn't smart.

I will word this carefully as I'm not accusing but.

Orbx does have a system in place if what you're installing detects a pirated copy of an Orbx product installed it will delete everything in your Orbx folder whether you had legitimate items in it or not. I believe this started around the time Orbx Global was introduced.

Word of advice, never buy anything outside of legitimate websites.  $10 probably looked too good to be true.  There is an answer but you have to be a legitimate owner of the product and ask at the Orbx website. 

**EDIT**

Didn't realize there was something in place to deal with pirated software, forget my answer then, nothing will fix it.  Be advised, the users and owner of AVSIM do not take lightly to pirated material being installed, you may get banned from the site.

Still didn't get over to the Orbx site, I guess.

So far, I have gathered that you have Vector, which got deleted. You updated FTX Global, which means you've had prior versions, and you have PNW.

I have those three products, amongst others, and nothing has been deleted when I run updates. So again, my suggestion would be to reinstall what got deleted, or create a new topic in the Orbx support forum on their site. They are very cool over there and will help you to the end, as long as you show them proof of purchase.

My curiosity is satisfied. I do hope you get it solved.

I bought FTX PNW from eBay for $10.

If this was your honest (and only!) mistake - make up for it. After buying a legitimate licence for PNW everything should install and update fine.

Looks like orbx is doing it again, cant blame them really, looks like lots of users are 'outing' themsleves as pirates lol

• Upvote 1

Looks like orbx is doing it again, cant blame them really, looks like lots of users are 'outing' themsleves as pirates lol

Have they really confirmed that pirated products is what causes this problem? I haven't read anything about that. Just outsiders claiming "pirated serials" causes this phenomenon. There are people at their forums having this problem that have massive amounts of products/order numbers in their forums signatures (which are required to get support there in the first place).

I understand that ORBX has to protect their product somehow, but in the end these crazy DRM and protection schemes only hurt legitimate users. People who want to pirate will do it regardless. It's a shame that legitimate buyers are the ones that have to suffer sometimes.

Have they really confirmed that pirated products is what causes this problem? I haven't read anything about that. Just outsiders claiming "pirated serials" causes this phenomenon. There are people at their forums having this problem that have massive amounts of products/order numbers in their forums signatures (which are required to get support there in the first place).

While neither confirming or denying that the deletion of the entire ORBX folder is an anti-piracy measure, ORBX support rep Ed Correia (writing on the official ORBX support forum) clearly alluded to it when he advised users who had experienced this issue that when re-installing their products, to be very sure that the installers were the "properly wrapped" (i.e. licensed) executables from the users' accounts at the Flight Sim Store.

Getting the point across without overtly pointing fingers at any particular user who was complaining...

He also said that there was no plan to update or re-issue the latest ORBXLIBS installer because a small minority of users had "lost everything", leading me to think that he clearly knew that there was not a problem with the installer itself.

Not all those experiencing this problem are necessarily overt pirates. An earlier poster to this thread, had innocently purchased an ORBX title from a user on eBay, not realizing that ORBX licenses are not transferable, and that once installed and registered on one user's computer, it will be flagged as an unauthorized copy if it is later resold and installed on a different computer. Quite possibly neither the seller nor the buyer knew that.

So far as I know, this is NOT the same issue that some other users have experienced getting the objectflow.dll to install or register properly - that may well be a problem with the latest ORBXLIBS.

ORBX are gradually ending disc versions for this very reason

The latest measures taken by ORBX is yet another example of how consumers don't realize that every piece of software they 'buy' is not theirs to own but only a gateway to allow them to use the software owned by the creator.

-Jim

• Upvote 1

Oh i don't know,  when i buy something,  Its mine  :smile:  Its mine its mine its mine,  Of course not to do anything illegal with it,  that would be wrong.  Its still mine though  :smile:

Glad to hear Orbtx is cleaning up lose ends.