Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

22Jul14 - Sp1 Monitoring Items Updated

I had my first ever OOM in the T7 yesterday going into FlyTampa's YUL with the -300.  ASN producing cloudy conditions, with rain.  No other fancy scenery installed... I've got FSUIPC displaying the available virtual memory in the sim.  At the time of the OOM, I had 1.4 GB left...  I'll re-read the introduction manual to make sure I haven't missed anything. 

If you have an entire 1.4Gb remaining, that means that FSX was using just a little over half of it's alotted memory usage. Perhaps it wasn't an OOM? Or it is an OOM, but it isn't virtual memory that users are running out of. I just set the 777 at fltampa's CYUL (memory hog), with asn and heavy showers and overcast. FSX used at the most 1.8 GB. 

Kevin i am seriously wondering if English is your first language. At no point did i state that 2Gb was a VAS limit. I did say that with stock FSX and the 777 running that I use around 2Gb.

My statement regarding FSX started with "I think", i.e. my opinion, i.e. not a fact.

Please don't patronise with comments like that. I could give you plenty of proof of my native English linguistic ability but I'd probably be banned.

As you can run the 777 and have 2 GB spare VAS, then that's quite a lot left over for the extras you might want to use on top. A system running with 50% spare capacity hasn't had it.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Today is the first time in the 777 that I have noticed these "pauses".

On Sunday I flew Air Canada flight 856 with the PMDG 777-200LR. During cruise the flight ran smoothly, no problems. Sadly, as soon as the landing gears touched down at Heathrow, my simulator "crashed" (it appears not to be an OOM).

Today, I am currently flying ACA 856 again. Same aircraft. This time, I am noticing these pauses. The simulation continues fine afterwards. They appears to be occurring at particular points... Before I continue - I have made a change to FSX since Sunday. I updated my FSUIPC after downloading some IVAO software to allow me to see other models in VATSIM. 

The pauses are appearing to occur at either 5 past or 25 past the hour, zulu time. At these points the speed in EXACTLY at .84 mach (as set by the FMC due to NAT crossing), the altitude is at EXACTLY 37'000 feet and the engine N1 indication is at EXACTLY 80.9 (which is the target N1 speed set by the FMC). This might have absolutely nothing to do with it, but just an observation I appear to be seeing on my system.

The pauses last on average 7 minutes. After which the flight continues BUT the fuel appears to have decreased which now means I will be landing without sufficient fuel to get to my alternates.

After this flight, I will consider removing FSUIPC and see if it helps on tomorrow's flight back to Toronto.

Please don't patronise with comments like that. I could give you plenty of proof of my native English linguistic ability but I'd probably be banned.

As you can run the 777 and have 2 GB spare VAS, then that's quite a lot left over for the extras you might want to use on top. A system running with 50% spare capacity hasn't had it.

<sigh>...Kevin i don't want to turn this thread into an argument between the two of us.

Please re-read my posts, i CAN run STOCK FSX with just the PMDG 777 and experience only 2Gb used of VAS.  I dare say i could run just stock FSX and the stock aircraft and have 3Gb of VAS remaining, that's not the point; I want to run UK2000 airports, ORBX, ASN, REX Textures AND PMDG planes the 8 year old FSX engine is only just capable of this on a knife edge.  

What is frankly baffling me is why you appear to have taken this as a personal slight?  FSX is 8 years old, do you have any hardware in your PC that old, do you have any other software that is 8 years old?  If MS (or replacement company) came out tomorrow with FSXI (actually i guess FSXII) 64-bit, DX11 etc would you migrate to that software?

Ian R Tyldesley

There are three things I do before I start any flight which seem to have alleviated the pausing in FSX.

1. Disable ALL add-on scenery, using SceneryConfigEditor, except for my departure, arrival airports and ORBX Global.  I also disable all ORBX regions/airports that may exist if FTX Central does not disable them.  For VFR flights I'll enable the specific regions I'm flying in or keep them disabled if I'm not in any of them.

2. Created a seperate dll.xml file that has all ORBX dll's disabled so they will not load on initial FSX startup.  That way I have an xml file for IFR flights(non-ORBX) and another xml file for VFR flights(ORBX enabled).  I initially did this to save on VAS memory.

3. Purge all folders/files in the "Shaders" cache directory before starting FSX.  Remove all folders/files under "/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Microsoft/FSX/Shaders/" .  Usually there's five folders under there that I remove before starting FSX.

Doing these three steps every time before starting FSX has virtually eliminated the pausing issues I experienced in the past.

Cheers!

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

OK, the notification was SP1b release the last Weekend (may be before). Now, anybody knows the next release date?  I cant find further information about that^^. I want to push the PMDG - Crew, but  a wish a little bit more information, especially it was her own timeline. I´m in trouble with the SP1 an wait for the solution. Sorry, i mean it no harm.

The beta team have had a couple of builds I believe, so don't think it should be too long.

You can't put a timeframe on this sort of thing because software development is inherently unpredictable.

No offence to the beta team, but I just can't see how any of them just didn't have the major issues that a majority of people are having on release of SP1.

I'm surprised that the 8x auto cruise issue wasn't picked up on. Also the issue of switching off auto cruise with clicking the CHR button on the clock.

Also the CTD's and freezing issues.

Are the PC's that the beta team uses been remotely confirgured by PMDG for optimal performance etc before they are given SP1 to test?

I'm not having ago at the beta team, just don't understand how they don't seem to have the issues when testing the RTM SP1.

No offence to the beta team, but I just can't see how any of them just didn't have the major issues that a majority of people are having on release of SP1.

I am really not sure that a majority of people have issues with SP1. People who have to problem with SP1 probably do not post on the forum, at least not as much as captains who encounter certain problems.

I'm not having ago at the beta team, just don't understand how they don't seem to have the issues when testing the RTM SP1.
They'll never find everything. No team can. There's just too many combinations of things to test, with many combinations of computer hardware, and background software (ASN, FSUIPC...)

It can't be OOM related. I just compared VAS usage between the NGX and 777-300ER. VAS was relatively the same, never had a pause with the NGX. I think there is a minor flaw in coding affecting some but definitely not all. If the beta team can't recreate the problem, then it isn't even worth releasing a patch.

They'll never find everything. No team can. There's just too many combinations of things to test, with many combinations of computer hardware, and background software (ASN, FSUIPC...)

I agree they can't find everything and yes everyone's setup is different. But how the 8x auto cruise issue was never seen still honestly baffles me as that seems to be a bug everyone has.

I'm sure PMDG will sort the issues. I've been fairly lucky, had a couple of CTD's but I think that was due to ASN hotfix 5. Had the CTD's with it before SP1 and after SP1. I deleted ASN and as I purchased ASN from its release I've got all the installers from Hotfix 1 onwards and now reinstalled upto Hotfix 4 only and everything is running ok.

In regards to SP1 issues, as said, there are many that don't have any issues. I don't have any OOM's, or freezes. The only issues I have is a somewhat tricky trim and the 8X auto cruise issue.

What was baffling was why the beta team didn't spot immediately that the trim was totally wrong in RTM. I spotted it immediately, as did others... but that's old news now of course.

Same here. None OOM or freezes. Only the trim on approach is giving me problems...Maybe it´s my fault, but land this ac is very difficult now.

Best.

Miquel Egea.