Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

22Jul14 - Sp1 Monitoring Items Updated

Captains-

I am initiating this thread in order to provide a bit more information on our efforts to squash some items that appear to be affecting some users.  Please note that this is not intended to be an "all inclusive" thread, and as such you should refrain from responding to this thread with "have you looked at" or, worse, orders that I should examine some other item because it is not addressed here.  Generally speaking we are vacuuming up reports from all over the forum and support.

Okay- with that being said:

We are currently focused primarily on issues of "display/cockpit/airplane freezes" and "FSX whole-sim pauses."

PAUSING BEHAVIOR OF FSX:

We are still investigating this behavior with the help of the many reports we have collected from users here and via technical support.  As of this moment, we suspect that the pausing problem is not in the 777, but is caused by some defect in FSX but is aggravated by the 777.  One of the challenges we have had in resolving this issue is that none of our Tech or Beta team sees the problem- nor do any of our developers.  We have reached out to a couple of users who have the problem in a severe form- and we securing access to their machines in order to conduct further research.

I am confident that we will ultimately identify the problem- and even if we cannot fix it we can certainly begin the process of developing strategies to mitigate it.  Depending upon what the core of the problem turns out to be- we might be able to make changes to the 777 that reduce the product's tendency to aggravate the underlying condition...

Work continues and we will give you occasional progress updates in this regard.

(NOTE:  We are calling this a PAUSE intentionally- because in almost all cases, users report that the sim eventually un-pauses and continues on as if nothing had happened.  It would be most helpful if you guys would adopt the same terminology- because it will help us to know that you are talking about THIS issue...)

COCKPIT DISPLAY FREEZE CONDITION 1: 

We are still researching a situation that some users induce by having multiple external view windows overlaid on top of their virtual cockpit while flying.  This can occasionally cause the VC displays to cease updating- and it appears as if they have died when in fact clicking on the displays will show you that the pop-ups are updating normally even if the VC displays are not.  We have learned that you can "un-freeze" the VC displays by clicking on any switch on the overhead panel (the lights or fuel pumps for example) and then life continues on normally.

This is a nuisance in that it can be easily resolved by closing the external views or clicking on the overhead panel as described, (and it is related to a know problem in FSX) but we think there may be some ways to prevent it and we are researching those methods.

COCKPIT DISPLAY FREEZE CONDITION 2:

We received a number of reports from users that during flight the displays would cease updating, the cockpit would cease to respond to clicks, and the flight controls would freeze, rendering the airplane uncontrollable.

This issue has been resolved and will be corrected by an update to SP1 shortly.  We collected a significant number of reports of this behavior, and after some back and forth with reporting customers, we found and fixed this issue.  The issue relates to a condition in which the user would establish a set of flight conditions that would allow the FMS to effectively progress beyond the end of the useful navigation information.  This could be done by not entering a flight plan, entering a flight plan that was extremely short, leaving a disconnect between the route and the arrival and then flying through the disconnect, flying past the end of the planned route without an arrival selected, doing the same with an arrival not connected to an approach, etc.  (There are probably 200 other ways you could do this...)  When the FMS would progress beyond it's last useful navigation segment, we wound up with an unprotected mathematical equation and the airplane could cease responding....  This has been resolved and is in testing currently.

In the mean time- make certain you have a flight plan and path all the way to the ground and you won't run into THIS problem.  (You don't have to program your arrival and approach and runway until later in the flight, just don't fly beyond the end of the route you do have planned...  Simple, right?)

It is sort of amusing that this went unnoticed- but our beta team is doing a very good job of flying the airplane as it was intended- and some of you are doing a good job of flying the airplane as... it wasn't intended to be flown.  :ph34r:

THANK YOU to those who were involved in exchanging information with us on this on... 

AIRPLANE BANKS AGGRESSIVELY IN 8x or 16x:

This issue has been identified and we are currently examining ways to resolve it.  The issue comes up when a user places a long navigation segment into the FMS and then asks the airplane to fly that segment in accelerated time.  At 2x or 4x the airplane manages the mathematics without too much problem, but at 8x and greater speeds the airplane is unable to crunch through all of the great circle mathematics with enough precision to prevent it from effectively "cracking the whip" on the very long navigation segment.

While we work on a fix for this- we recommend avoiding the programming of very long leg segments into your route of flight.  Generally speaking, using a flight planning program that works realistically, such as PFPX, will keep you clear of trouble.  (Many, but not all of the users we interviewed when tracking this issue were reporting the behavior on legs in excess of 400nm...  the average leg length was around 1200nm and one fellow even had a 6000nm leg programmed..  The CEP (circle error probable) on a leg of that length becomes rather excessive and while the airplane can handle it at normal time- getting into higher acceleration rates makes it almost impossible to compute solutions fast enough and with enough accuracy to prevent the wing wagging....

We are working on a long term solution for this and we will keep you posted.

SHIP'S CLOCK AND FMS CLOCK OUT OF SYNC:

We exchanged some information with a few users reporting this item and we found that this problem can be caused by using a panel state file that was created with the RTM v1.00 of the 777.  We were unable to maintain compatibility with the older versions so we encourage users to delete all of their old panel state files and create new ones using the SP1 version of the 777.  We feel confident that doings so will prevent this problem from occurring.

AND SOME ITEMS I FORGOT:

I am certain that once Ryan reads this he will remind me that I forgot to tell you about something else- so I am putting this slot here so that I can come back and list those items below this line. B)

UPDATE TIMELINE:

We are currently planning to issue an interim SP1 update (SP1b) before the coming weekend.  This update will not be mandatory- but we recommend it for any users who are experiencing problems that we have resolved by the time it is built.

This update will install right over the top of any existing 777 installation, for ease of use on your end.

Okay- back to chasing down pauses...  Thanks for your support of the 777- you guys have really done a great job feeding us information to help nail down these obscure items- and the cooperation is very much appreciated!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm experiencing no issues here, but hopefully this update helps those that are still seeing a problem or two.  Thanks a bunch Robert and team!!

Excellent! Thanks for the super quick response time, you fellas are doing a great job! :)

Thanks RSR, I am having the pausing issue and CTD, but I'm confident you and your group will find the solution, that's why rather not bother because you have enough complaints about it, so why add another. For now I'll just jet around the Ole U.S.A, till a fix or solution is found. B)

Just a quick thought - if any of the pauses inside the cockpit happen, has anyone tried the F9 key to refresh the VC?   I sometimes get this, not in the 777 specifically but in most other VC's.    It is something inside FSX I think rather than anything else.   When I hit the F9 key, everything works right again.

Like I said, just a thought...

Kind regards

Im off to fly now I know what is causing VC freezing condition #2!!! Thanks Robert and team!!!!

PAUSING BEHAVIOR OF FSX:

I used to have this issue, suspected of everything, tried reinstalls, etc. Ultimately (in my case), it had to do with CORE0 being used by the simulator. I never had experienced this before i purchased my GTX780, so something in the BUS changed and somehow FSX didn't like it. As soon as i added an AffinityMask to my config releasing CORE0 for whatever duties it had to do, the freezes were gone.

My freezes were totally random and usually lasted ~4 minutes. After the freeze, FSX would resume normal operation. These could happen in a short flight, long flight or never at all - Totally random.

Hope this helps nail it down.

Well, I do not need to put a long segment route in the FMS. It also occurs when I want to hold the heading or maintaining it for a long time (it happens 10-20 seconds later once I activate 8x or 16x time rate). But happy to hear that it will be fixed.  :rolleyes:

Great work again, PMDG. 

I the cockpit freeze in condition 2, indeed after continuing beyond the planned route with no STAR selected. 

I am glad that you guys are working on an update. Thank you for that.

I am having the 8x compression issue and it happens even with short legs as short as 30nm and I am using PFPX for my flight plans.

It is sort of amusing that this went unnoticed- but our beta team is doing a very good job of flying the airplane as it was intended- and some of you are doing a good job of flying the airplane as... it wasn't intended to be flown. :ph34r:

Guilty as charged! :crazy:

I am so relieved to read that you found the cause for "FREEZE #2". Your description matches exactly the scenario I was having the freeze in. Very short testflight route with only one waypoint with the same DEP and DEST airport. If I remember correctly, the freeze happened at the moment I was passing the only waypoint. Of cause I hadn't programmed the approach yet, as I wanted to try out the new behaviour of manual flight and trimming at/around this waypoint.

I really hope you can track the other issues down, so that all users get to fly the bird properly. This freeze was the first time in many years I was unable to finish a flight and land the plane safely in FSX. It felt bad... I feel with the users who are struggeling since the RTM version. Keep it up PMDG!

PAUSING BEHAVIOR OF FSX:

Not to throw a spanner in the works, or derail this thread, but i have had this in the Majestic Q400, stops for about 7 seconds, looks like a crash and then resumes happy as a clown, not the usual OOM, hard crash (requires reset) or the spinning cursor of death.

Never had it in any other plane including the NGX...could it relate to weather radar?

Is anyone getting FPS drops when using the dome and master brightness knobs?

Also, is anyone getting ops center telling them to restore liveries that are already present and running correctly?

:S

Hi all,

I've been getting the pause issue - i'm currently flying from LOWW to OMDB with ASN and the weather radar on and it's pausing more often than usual - twice so far and i've been in the air for 20 minutes...

Could it be something with the weather integration that's making it worse?

Jamie Boreham

Thanks RSR for this update, nice to see your efforts after release to help people who have these kind of issues.

Regarding PAUSES, for my case: 

I had already this particular point with the NGX (it happened a few times some months after I installed it). It's really a PAUSE, the simulator stops working , and it is ALWAYS during 8 minutes (not less, not more). It was happening really randomly and stopped to happen without doing anything. 

When I have installed the 777-200LR the issue happened again, still 8 minutes, and the simulator always continues working on after this pause. What I have done is set my FSX settings a little bit lower, For the time being it did not happened any more, finger crossed.

I have also seen some topics on other forums which are called "8 minutes freeze" but unsolved yet, and note that what I've read was not concerning especially PMDG products.

@Robert,

The issue we were talking about with the prog page, is that on the list? Or am I somehow using an old panel state?

Alex

The issues I had with two flights with the 777 SP1 is not really pauses but a complete system reboot, once mid flight while programming the FMC for an offset course to avoid weather (WX radar active at that time), and once on final approach into LOWW at 10 DME RWY 29. My system never did that before, and it has been stable for over two years now.

What I did do afterwards is go into the advanced system settings (Win7 x64) and uncheck "Restart system on error detection" or something alike.

I also downclocked my CPU from 4.4ghz to 4.2ghz because I suspected it might have run a little hot (again, had no problems running at 4.4 during two years, but did it just as a precaution).

Did one full flight after that (EGLL - OMDB) and everything went fine, didn't have the restart issue, but might be a coincidence too. More tests will need to determine if that indeed solved the problem.

But anyway good to know you guys are planning to release a fix for the pauses mentioned, many thanks for that !

Mathieu

Thank you Robert,(and team of course). the 8X issue  was the only thing giving me less than 100% enjoyment of the aircraft. 

As always PMDG doing the best job they can. Thanks for the update Mr Robert. Hope the 8x/16x time acceleration can be solved. Is the only issue i have

I am writing this because it might help, I used to have a freeze/pause where screen freezes and becomes unusable - didn't try then the F9 or lights or fuel pumps switches-......1) Not only with PMDG products.....2) at flights exceeds 750nm......It could be minutes up to 1/2 an hour.......3) The engine still consumes fuel.......4) I learned that once it happened  it will happen again at same flight......5) if freeze took than half an hour I know it's useless to continue the flight so I abort.........7) I knew if I reduce details it will happen less......8) plane was unflyble for longer than 750nm ......

I am no expert.....when I did some research on the net for sometime .....I came to the following steps which I applied carefully......with all details set to MAX.

·         I deleted FSX.cfg

·         I use CCleaner every two weeks

·         I used FS_Registrey_Repair from Flight 1 like every month

·         I used from AVSIM FSX CTD Guide, I increased Heap Limitation, tool from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246 ( because I have two screens and I will have about 5 windows running at same time)

·         I added the file UIAutomationCore.dll V. 6.0.6001.1800 to FSX root........ I added/corrected to FSX.cfg the following lines:

[bufferPools]

BufferPools=1

PoolSize=10485760

RejectThreshold=524288

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[Graphics]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

[Display]

WideViewAspect=True

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80

[Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

After implementing the above I made 10s of flights goes up to 7,000nm with no problem in-whatsoever......the only occurring is a pause of a second or less and mostly at taxiing or departure phases ! everything else goes just fine. 

So Now I am 99.5% satisfied but I thought I would right this here also so you can see my computer specifications 

Thank you PMDG :)

In the mean time- make certain you have a flight plan and path all the way to the ground and you won't run into THIS problem. 

Does this include STAR vectors?  Do we need to tell the airplane to proceed after the vector to IAF or can we assume heading select to intercept the ILS? 

Just to let u know, I am experiencing this on shorter legs as well. Any length really. Pre SP1 I could easily do 16X between waypoints, no matter how far apart. Now the max is 4X

Yep, absolutely.

Same for me, length of leg is irrelevant.