Sign in to follow this  

Looking for something bigger

I too look at the Q400 and... I'm just not sure.  I love good systems depth, but I'm not a "systems" flier.  By that I mean I want to fly a plane with well fleshed out systems, not fly a plane who's well fleshed out systems actually fly the plane while I manage them.  One day it sounds like the Q400 is the former, and the next day it looks more to me like the latter.

Its definitely more the former than just about all the tubeliners everyone flies these days. No autothrottle, alarmingly ineffective yaw damper, manual RPM control separate from Power lever, a very limited VNAV that you can happily not use, very short landing roll, STOL capability, insanely powerful engines, a high wing aircraft thats very lively in heavy wind conditions. The systems aren't Airbus or Boeing level, that is to say the real airplane isn't meant to be flown with hands off all the time. Sure, you can mostly leave it on the FMS route if you want, but its not an autoland aircraft. In fact the systems can be very twitchy so you need to constantly monitoring whatever you automate to be ready to just take over.

Interesting thing is that its also nearly as fast as a jet on short flights, only about 5 minutes slower on a typical 1 hour flight. Its a very interesting mix of everything. Frankly other than following the magenta path as a matter of normal operations the autopilot systems aren't too much more complex than what you find in advanced GA aircraft. Its all pretty much user generated. Even the VNAV has to be programmed by the user, it doesn't automatically calculate the descent path like a Boeing, and if you go off it too much it disconnects and you're back to flying it yourself. You can even just use the VNAV as a calculator to put the TOD on the map and then when you manually fly down the descent path the VNAV page will tell you whether you're high or low on the path telling you what VS to fly to stay or get onto it. Its pretty much the opposite of the way people seem to be beholden to the typical Boeing VNAV where they don't know what its doing but they're afraid to turn it off. In the Dash you're pretty much always eying the VNAV like you know it can't be relied on to do it all by itself. Soon as the ATC gives you a vector from the magenta, it becomes utterly useless and you have to start doing mental math to figure out speed against descent rate to reach a certain alt at a given point so many minutes ahead.

Its so much fun, and landing it is so weird too. Think about it. This aircraft actually wants you to buy rudder pedals. Ever since I recently started to really focus on it I haven't touched another plane. I can fly 3 or 4 sectors over several hours, seeing all sorts of scenery, doing multiple landings, approaches, all that jazz, meanwhile the Boeing or Airbus people have spent all that time on Facebook during the cruise. Its the most fun IFR plane I've ever used.

My goodness, you guys aren't making this any easier LOL

After looking at all the suggestions I notice I'd really like a 'small airliner' and not a large GA with more buttons so the Q400 is still the kind of airplane I'd like to get... while, as I said, at the same time it seems a bit too much already. (I'm not making this any easier myself LOL) Still, it's the more er... computerized and automated part that's attracting me right now. Somehow. I guess... 

Afaik it's not uncommon if I start my flights in a plane like this already 'warm' instead of cold and dark, right? I don't have to go from cold and dark to cold and dark every time, of course. Then again, the plane can be started within a minute or two, I guess. Well, anyway, I will have to give all this some more thought. Thanks for all suggestions!

P.S. Apart from the Q400 the MilViz King Air 350i seems interesting too with its Universal FMS! The main thing that's holding me back is that it is unclear how soon this plane will be finished...

One thing no-one has mentioned so far, Airline2Sim have a great set of Q400 videos available which walk you through all the flows and processes you will need.to learn.  If budget allows, this is a very worthwhile purchase, especially if it is your first step into tubeliners.

I'm currently working on a set of flows that combines the default checklist, tips I have taken from the A2S videos and (importantly for me) are FS2Crew compatible.  I suggest you plan to do the same, the default checklists are great but it's much easier to have a single checklist in one place with personalised flows.

+1 Q400 and Airline2sim training. Use my checklist too and you'll be ready to taxi within 10-15 minutes. The Q400 is THE most realistic add on aircraft next to the Cherokee for Prepar3d and is perfectly suited to 40 minute flights.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

How are the frame rates of the B55 in P3Dv2 now?
I read frequently that in FSX it could be quite heavy on the frames, especially with the GPS's on.

Difficult to be precise but they are similar to the RealAir Legacy  for me so less that the A2A Cherokee 180. Should be no problem for J van E on his system.

Afaik it's not uncommon if I start my flights in a plane like this already 'warm' instead of cold and dark, right? I don't have to go from cold and dark to cold and dark every time, of course. Then again, the plane can be started within a minute or two, I guess.

Well, for guys like you (and me) the Twin Otter has this option on the checklist that you just have to click:

"Ready to fly"

And that says it all.  B)

twin_10.jpg

Afaik it's not uncommon if I start my flights in a plane like this already 'warm' instead of cold and dark, right? I don't have to go from cold and dark to cold and dark every time, of course. Then again, the plane can be started within a minute or two, I guess. Well, anyway, I will have to give all this some more thought. Thanks for all suggestions!

The Q400 default starting state is "warm" it's on battery's. You can choose to connect ground power(I do)or APU. You could start the engines within 2 mins if you wanted to, but that's not what it's about. Like I said to you before I have my own flows for the Q400, a walk though if you like, but ofc you need to know two things, how to set V speeds, and use the FMS to load a short flight plan and just add in ZFW and fuel.

It's the only aircraft I know that you use a different axis to taxi(spoiler for me) Its a gem.

I really think you should just get it, learn it over a few nights and you will never turn back.

--------

The Twin Otter above is nice depends if you just want a nice plane to fly or a since of achievement when you shut down. As nice as the Twin Otter is, it still just another "nice" aircraft. Q400 is A*

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I recommend the Milviz King Air 350i. While it is still considered in the alpha stage it has pretty much everything you need to fly short hops or even 2-3 hour hauls. The MilViz version of the Proline 21 uses a Universal FMS, which is pretty easy to use. I've been flying around SoCal on Pilot Edge and having a blast doing it.

Another aircraft I love is the Eaglesoft Citation X. As far as business jets go, it doesn't get much better. The interior is a little dated but avionics and systems are excellent. It looks sexy in P3Dv2. Plus at 0.92M you'll blow past the airliners at FL430 on a short hop from KSFO to KLAX.

Todd

Oh yeah! As a step up from GA, this is a great choice. A little more complicated engine and systems management. Plus the promise of a nice FMC.

If you can wait just a few more weeks, the Aerosoft A318/319 will be out and P3D v2.3 ready!

Personally I love the baby bus.  :wub:

Q400 or QW146

146 is actually harder to operate than the Q400 I find due to it being an older cockpit layout.

Both are excellent regional haulers.

If you can wait just a few more weeks, the Aerosoft A318/319 will be out and P3D v2.3 ready!

Personally I love the baby bus.  :wub:

Hmmmmm, interesting... I have to say I've always had a soft spot for the Airbus... As I said I think I figured out I want something more 'computerized' so the Twin Otter (and similar planes) isn't what I am looking for because (if I may say so) those kind of planes are 'simply' extended versions of a plane like the Cherokee. If you know what I mean. So after figuring that out this afternoon I even considered upgrading the old Airbus X I own to the Extended version because it is 'computerized', so totally different than the Cherokee 180 and I know from my experiences with Airbusses that they are quite simple to handle (if you know what you're doing... but that obviously goes for every plane LOL). But well, the 320 is a bit too big and also not officially 2.3 ready so I quickly forgot about it again. At the same time the posts about the Q400 (stating that it's a handful to handle and you've got to do a lot manually) only pushed me away from it LOL

Aaaaaaanyway, long story short (I sometimes talk too much...) a A318/319 sounds interesting at this moment...! Specially if it's 2.3 ready! I'll go and check out the Aerosoft forums.

I really hope nobody minds my frickle behaviour and change of mind all the time... I just still don't know what I want, really... but I sure do appreciate all tips and help! ^_^

I really hope nobody minds my frickle behaviour and change of mind all the time... I just still don't know what I want, really... but I sure do appreciate all tips and help! ^_^

One get used to it. :lol:

Spirit

The Twin Otter above is nice depends if you just want a nice plane to fly or a since of achievement when you shut down. As nice as the Twin Otter is, it still just another "nice" aircraft. Q400 is A*

Much as I like the Q400, that might be a little harsh on the Twin Otter.  

There is no reason you can't get that sense of achievement in either aircraft, they are just in different niches (in spite of their outward similarities).  19 seat STOL capable short hopper vs 78 regional airliner bigger than many regional jets.  The use cases are pretty different. 

They are both bigger than a Cherokee but outside the realm of long haul buses, both are good models, so it's really a question of systems satisfaction vs. how the #@$* did I just get into that strip?  Pick one...

Have you looked into the Milviz 737-200 combi ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Well, if it helps, I'll add my vote for the Q400 too! To tell the truth I generally can't be bothered with FMS programming and so on either these days. However, I used to spend an awful lot of time just hand flying approaches in the Dash 8. (I say 'used to' because I've become a bit Cherokee obsessed at the moment!)

It performs so smoothly on my system, but is a challenge to land nicely and I can't recommend it highly enough! When they eventually release the 'professional' version this will add a whole new level of depth...

Having said that, I also own the Aerosoft Twin Otter which is a great little GA/airliner crossover. I'd probably have flown it a lot more if it wasn't for the Q400. It's nicely priced and - as other have pointed out - is easy on frame rates.

Get them both I say!  :wink:

Cheers,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations