Sign in to follow this  
Beanf18

PMDG secret project

Shameless self-quote (I've typed this, and derivatives thereof too many times to type it again):

Agreed.  But if we're being really precise (and why not?  precision is fun!), note that I didn't say they'd make a profit on the DC-6, only that they'd make money.  Realistically - and in keeping with your scenario - they'd bring in some revenue while keeping developers occupied and making them happy.  If the project was going to lead to a catastrophic loss - either because of no sales or high costs, maybe costs on the scale of the MD-11, they probably wouldn't take it on, developer morale notwithstanding.

It's Econ 101 - the shut-down solution (as in, you continue the project if it covers more than half the variable costs, even if it doesn't contribute to fixed costs).  Youse could look it up...  B)

By the way, I'm right alongside you as Grumpy Grammarian - have often thought of writing posts about usage here by some of our creative friends but, you know, popularity, the risk of death threats...

Oh, and guys - am still hands up for my DC-6 and maybe 3...

That's actually false. PMDG has had a relationship with Boeing for quite some time. If you look at the past membership of PMDG and current membership of another developer, you'd see that the Airbus getting dropped, and somehow popping up as a product offering of their company coincide. It has nothing to do with the relationship with Boeing.

It may be so, I don't know PMDG's relationships with Boeing, but the fact is that PMDG once planned to release an Airbus and then dropped the plan. I am convinced this would be -by far- the product that would be the best in terms of commercial success. There still isn't a high class Airbus product in the market - there has never been. THere is a decent one, but that's it. That's a business opportunity! If that will affect their relationship with Boeing, that's another story, and subject of PMDG's cost-benefit analysis.

They are doing a fantasy Boeing 797!

So how come they're building a DC-6?

The DC-6, like the JS41 is a project which they can work on when the full staff cannot work on the main project. As development cycles peak you need all hands on deck, as the main project gets closer to completion or modelers are no longer needed they can be working on a side project which allows PMDG to utilize their resources in a much more efficient manner than to just have people sitting around and shaking their thumbs.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

The DC-6, like the JS41 is a project which they can work on when the full staff cannot work on the main project.

Yes, understood - see my post #151 just above.  I'm not saying they'll make their fortunes on it, only that there's some money to be made.  If there wasn't, they'd probably pick some other project to keep developers occupied and entertained, rather than writing that time off as a total loss.  What I'm arguing against is the idea that there's absolutely no commercial demand for a DC-6.  If that was the case, then A2A would have gone out of business years ago.  I understand also that the vast majority of PMDG customers probably aren't into old piston airliners, but there's a world of difference between "I'd never buy that' and "no one will buy it."  Again citing A2A, when they moved into general aviation last year, they irritated some of their warbird customers but found a new customer base, with some crossover.  Not an exact analogy because demand for GA is greater than the demand for old piston iron.  But when the PMDG DC-6 comes out, they'll probably sell a few.

Yes, understood - see my post #151 just above.  I'm not saying they'll make their fortunes on it, only that there's some money to be made.  If there wasn't, they'd probably pick some other project to keep developers occupied and entertained, rather than writing that time off as a total loss.  What I'm arguing against is the idea that there's absolutely no commercial demand for a DC-6.  If that was the case, then A2A would have gone out of business years ago.  I understand also that the vast majority of PMDG customers probably aren't into old piston airliners, but there's a world of difference between "I'd never buy that' and "no one will buy it."  Again citing A2A, when they moved into general aviation last year, they irritated some of their warbird customers but found a new customer base, with some crossover.  Not an exact analogy because demand for GA is greater than the demand for old piston iron.  But when the PMDG DC-6 comes out, they'll probably sell a few.

I would say more than a few; you appeal to those who traditionally like old iron (new customer base), then there are those who are PMDG "######" (please excuse the term) who will buy every aircraft which PMDG develops. Then you have those who follow various bloggers/vloggers and will purchase. I expect the DC-6 to do quite well even though it isn't a glass sim like most PMDG makes.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

It may be so, I don't know PMDG's relationships with Boeing, but the fact is that PMDG once planned to release an Airbus and then dropped the plan. I am convinced this would be -by far- the product that would be the best in terms of commercial success. There still isn't a high class Airbus product in the market - there has never been. THere is a decent one, but that's it. That's a business opportunity! If that will affect their relationship with Boeing, that's another story, and subject of PMDG's cost-benefit analysis.

You missed Kyle's strong hint about why PMDG dropped the Airbus product. It has nothing to do with the link to Boeing. It has everything to do with FSL making an in depth A320 and the ex PMDG member who is now on the FSL team. What would be the point in PMDG competing directly with that project?

As for the link with Boeing, do you really think Boeing would block PMDG's access because they made an addon for a rival manufacturers aircraft? These matters are down to commercial and contractual agreements not trivial favouritism.

PMDG have repeatedly said they make sims of aircraft they are interested in. That is the key determining factor in what comes next.

ki9cAAb.jpg

What would be the point in PMDG competing directly with that project?

Because, just like the CRJ project that was 'almost complete' when taken over by a major and respected sim producer, just a month after FSL announced that they had started on the Airbus series, working on a project does not mean releasing a project.

Along with Boeing, Airbus is one of the most significant airline manufacturers in the world and yet the aviation sim industry does not have a single high end Airbus on the market. I admire PMDG's respect for their former colleague, but I hope they consider putting a timelimit on their loyalty. FSL have had a clear field for four and a half years and have not taken advantage of it.

Because, just like the CRJ project that was 'almost complete' when taken over by a major and respected sim producer, just a month after FSL announced that they had started on the Airbus series, working on a project does not mean releasing a project.

Along with Boeing, Airbus is one of the most significant airline manufacturers in the world and yet the aviation sim industry does not have a single high end Airbus on the market. I admire PMDG's respect for their former colleague, but I hope they consider putting a timelimit on their loyalty. FSL have had a clear field for four and a half years and have not taken advantage of it.

How long do you think PMDG take on a project designed from scratch? Especially taken to the depth FSL report they've gone to. If PMDG started an Airbus tomorrow we might expect to see it no earlier than 2018. Two in depth Airbuses means half the revenue for each provider. Better for them to do something different and maximise revenue.

I doubt PMDG are holding off developing an Airbus out of respect for their former colleague. It's more that the current team aren't keen on making an Airbus. Especially not an A380, sadly (Ryan said it was too ugly). But duplication is also a serious issue.

As for in depth Airbus sims, the Aerosoft Airbus X series is getting more complex with each update. No failure model but it's the best there is right now. It's a very good sim to fly (the most important thing) and now has EGPWS terrain and working WXR. I don't doubt the FSL A320 will make it to release at some time in the future. Also there is the NLS A380 which seems to be back on again. I want a good Airbus sim as much as you do, but I don't think PMDG will be making one any time soon.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Its a Drone

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X; ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 OC Edition,; Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64GBSamsung Odyssey G70B 32inch 144Hz 4K UHD IPS Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160
Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; Tobii 5 Eye Tracker,  Trustmaster Boeing Yoke & Quadrant 

Paul Nicholls