Sign in to follow this  
Beanf18

PMDG secret project

Please, not another glass Boeing.

I would be willing to pay $100... for an underdone 'Steam gauge' aircraft such as the 747-'Classics' (-100/200/300/SP). The 3-man crew part would be the only problem though... -_-

Just because the bird no longer really flies, doesn't mean we can forget her!  :P

Even at this point with so many glass cockpits in FSX, still looking forward to 747v2! (and definitely the DC-6!)

C.Pheiffer

I think from a return on investment aspect the 787 makes the most sense. And it fills the Boeing gap in the lineup. As much as I think the Quality Wings 787 will be great, lets face it, it will not be a PMDG. The NGX has ruined almost all other aftermarket aircraft for me. I bought the QW Avro/146 and its a great aircraft, but I found myself wanting more systems detail.

The 757/767 are also great aircraft, but they while there are a great many of them in the skies, they are of a slowly dying breed. Boeing is looking to the future with the 787 and as the only top shelf producer of flight sim Boeings, PMDG should follow suit.

Now on the flip side of that. My guilty pleasure would be a MD-80 in any variant. I don't know what it is about that aircraft but I have always liked it. I have the CLS MD-80/87, and again while a great aircraft, it is lacking visually and in system detail.

Also let me say I am eagerly waiting for the DC-6. This even in a "lighter" version will be fantastic.

Just my 2 cents.

I think from a return on investment aspect the 787 makes the most sense.

I agree with you Sean.  As RSR said in his latest update, PMDG will be tackling the very high end professional market with its P3D versions.  As such, I'm already surprised at the making of the 744, which is slowly retiring.  The plane that would make the most sense money-wise to PMDG is the 787, and while I am waiting for the QualityWings version, all those plans go to waste if PMDG makes it, because let's face it, it'll be the one hardcore simmers will buy for sure.

sig01.png

As such, I'm already surprised at the making of the 744, which is slowly retiring.

It depends on what the 744v2 is. If it's an update to the existing 744 then I don't think its surprising at all. She's not called the queen of the skies for nothing and she will be flying the virtual skies for along time even if not the real world. She could definitely use a internal visual update if nothing else. And as such I would be ready and willing to pay out another 25-40 bucks for an "update". Now, if it's a completely new one off aircraft from the ground up, then I would be surprised and maybe a little disappointed. They have a good foundation that just needs updated. I would be hard pressed to pay out a full PMDG price for another 744.

Well, PMDG is a business, not a charity, and needs to make some profit for the tremendous effort required to build a product of that quality. But there is no way they would make some money building a Tupolev or a DC-3, or even rebuilding the MD-11. An MD-80? Perhaps better chances there. I am sure they are reading this thread and they can definitely use opinions expressed here as a mini-poll - something they could also use by emailing all their customers and requesting some input. Most people would be more than happy to contribute.

I read some good thoughts here - building an aircraft that is already available and with very reasonable quality isn't probably the best idea. Perhaps the 787 is a good option but perhaps too early for that to gather all the information and input required.

I remember years ago when RSRandazzo said an Airbus would be the next build - but that was before PMDG got somehow "attached" to Boeing and dropped that plan. The truth is, the A320 series is one of the most successful airliners in the world, with a great future and many fanatics. The most decent product in the market isn't close to PMDG realism (yes I have it, that's my own view). Perhaps that's an interesting option? Boeing is a good friend, but doesn't pay the bills - WE do. 

Happy landings

Michael

It depends on what the 744v2 is. If it's an update to the existing 744 then I don't think its surprising at all. She's not called the queen of the skies for nothing and she will be flying the virtual skies for along time even if not the real world. She could definitely use a internal visual update if nothing else. And as such I would be ready and willing to pay out another 25-40 bucks for an "update". Now, if it's a completely new one off aircraft from the ground up, then I would be surprised and maybe a little disappointed. They have a good foundation that just needs updated. I would be hard pressed to pay out a full PMDG price for another 744.

They are completely rebuilding it from the ground up, it will be a completely new plane with the quality of the 777. The existing was was originally built for FS9 and then brought over to FSX. 

But there is no way they would make some money building a Tupolev or a DC-3, or even rebuilding the MD-11.

So how come they're building a DC-6?

A2A got a reasonable return on investment on their original accusim 377 and followup COTS package.  (They wouldn't have bothered with a follow up package of the original was a dud).   Granted they sold a lot more 172 and Cherokees, but they still made enough from the 377 and warbirds to make those projects worth while.  I doubt one of the most famous transport planes in history like the Gooney Bird  would be a poor seller.

Cheers

TJ

I doubt one of the most famous transport planes in history like the Gooney Bird  would be a poor seller.

Couldn't agree more.  Sort of odd, when you think about it, that the best (by far) execution of a C-47/DC-3 in FSX or P3D is a freeware package.  Don't get me wrong - it's beyond wonderful that Manfred and his team, and now Jan and his team, are willing to give us something like this.  But given the likely interest in the aircraft - and the fact that it's perfect for the big population of flightsimmers who don't have much time on their hands and mostly do short-haul - it's odd that none of the big payware houses has done it justice.  

I recently watched the old Virgin Atlantic 742 video and I couldn't help but smile and miss the old steam cockpit 747's!   The 747 in any variant is always my favourite, and my most favourite being the 744, but I will always petition for a 742 or the 747SP for that matter, even if some of the FE's functions aren't properly modeled.  

I understand the whole three crew thing, but I managed the RFP 742 without any trouble which was almost a complete simulation of the 747 classic.   If you want a challenge and bit of a learning curve, why not give that a go lol.

Now if ever PMDG would do a 747 classic I would pay almost any amount of money for it.   The classics are far more basic requiring more basic airmanship and it keeps you on your toes.   I enjoy the CS 707 very much.

Kind regards

If I were to idly speculate, I wonder if the -6 is being used as a test bed for handling a crew of three (or four)...

Other than the X-Plane secret project, is there one? Not that it's really relevant.

What makes you sure they'll make money on it?

Shameless self-quote (I've typed this, and derivatives thereof too many times to type it again):

I'm really not sure how people still aren't understanding the DC-6 line of products here...

The DC-6 line of products are, as Thomas mentioned, backburner products.  They're there to be worked on when the various developers are working on their primary tasks (the main line of products - also, I want a gold star for perfect use of there/their/they're in a single sentence :P ).  As such, these backburner products will essentially be making money where money was not made before.  Additionally, in order to allow the developers to "decompress" some, these add-ons are "lighter" in nature, in that they aren't as in-depth with failures models and so on.  As such, if even some money is being made where none was before, and developers need to decompress a little between tougher, more in-depth products, it would behoove the developers to choose projects that truly interest them, and not necessarily products that will sell well.

It's like me:
I have my primary job where I make money.  It's a job, and it's challenging.  After that main job, I have a varying amount of side projects to make money where money is not made in my primary job.  In order to avoid burnout and stressing myself out, I keep my side projects to those that interest me: a little graphic design, some database (and gen comp work, usually for friends so as to avoid most stresses), and a heap of aviation work.  The side projects need not make me tons of money, but they make me some money in addition to my main job, and it's mostly fun because I make the calls on what I will and won't do.

But that's just it:
I limit it to my interests, and it cannot take precedence over my main job.  Same thing here.

---------------

I remember years ago when RSRandazzo said an Airbus would be the next build - but that was before PMDG got somehow "attached" to Boeing and dropped that plan.

That's actually false. PMDG has had a relationship with Boeing for quite some time. If you look at the past membership of PMDG and current membership of another developer, you'd see that the Airbus getting dropped, and somehow popping up as a product offering of their company coincide. It has nothing to do with the relationship with Boeing.

Kyle Rodgers

Show of hands - How many people will actually fly an old DC if PMDG makes it?

hand

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png