Sign in to follow this  
CrewF16

PMDG and VATSIM

For what it's worth, vPilot can be used over the network.

While I keep all of my computing power in my room, I don't have a TV or much else interesting down there. Apart from doing laundry, I usually take my computer running vPilot upstairs to monitor for any contact messages as I watch TV, or otherwise get outside of the one room the sim is in. If it's nice out, the wireless is good enough to let me sit outside and work on other projects.

No joke. I've been flying on VATSIM for 10 years, and I honestly have never thought about this. I even have widefs installed. I've been using remote desktop to my computer when flying longhaul and not being in the same room, to check up on PMs and ATC, but the idea of just running it on my surface pro is genious! Thank you Kyle!

Well, it is obvious that there is a wealth of information and great people that are willing to help. I have not made my first flight yet (it will probably be this weekend) but I will get back and let you know how it went.

No joke. I've been flying on VATSIM for 10 years, and I honestly have never thought about this. I even have widefs installed. I've been using remote desktop to my computer when flying longhaul and not being in the same room, to check up on PMs and ATC, but the idea of just running it on my surface pro is genious! Thank you Kyle!

You're welcome. I'll admit, it took me quite a long time to even figure that out. It only came up one day when I wanted to drag my comp upstairs to keep doing work. I initially thought "oh man, I can't move it away from the sim comp..."

...and then it hit me.

Well, it is obvious that there is a wealth of information and great people that are willing to help. I have not made my first flight yet (it will probably be this weekend) but I will get back and let you know how it went.

For what it's worth, if you want to get used to it, I'd gladly log on at IAD, DCA, BWI, RIC, ORF, CHO, ROA (somewhere in that area).

Kyle Rodgers

You're welcome. I'll admit, it took me quite a long time to even figure that out. It only came up one day when I wanted to drag my comp upstairs to keep doing work. I initially thought "oh man, I can't move it away from the sim comp..."

...and then it hit me.

For what it's worth, if you want to get used to it, I'd gladly log on at IAD, DCA, BWI, RIC, ORF, CHO, ROA (somewhere in that area).

Thanks Kyle, I appreciate the offer and will let you know. The amazing thing is that so far the only thing I have found that will cost anything is Navigraph. That says a lot for what we do and the people involved. 

I keep threatening to start flying online- but every time I sit in front of the computer, I usually wind up coding/debugging...  (which you guys probably would prefer anyway.  LOL)

The only time I ever tried online flying was back in 1997...  It wasn't very authentic and I never went back.

One of these days, maybe. 

I'll probably be coming to you guys for help!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I went up this past weekend. It was not stellar. I took my Lancair for a short IFR hop between WACO and Austin TX. When I started center said that I was not in his area so I started out squaking 1200. I contacted Austin tower enroot and he said that I was too far out and he did not see me on radar to try again when I was closer. After flying a little more he went off line. With all of the frustration I landed on the wrong runway (which I figured out when the localizer started going haywire) and did not taxi back which left a red mark on Vat Spy. But I did make it lol. 

I went up this past weekend. It was not stellar. I took my Lancair for a short IFR hop between WACO and Austin TX. When I started center said that I was not in his area so I started out squaking 1200. I contacted Austin tower enroot and he said that I was too far out and he did not see me on radar to try again when I was closer. After flying a little more he went off line. With all of the frustration I landed on the wrong runway (which I figured out when the localizer started going haywire) and did not taxi back which left a red mark on Vat Spy. But I did make it lol. 

Don't be too hard on yourself. I still remember my first flight, KLAX-KSFO.  I was so damn nervous. I had practiced the flight off line at least 20 times.  They don't swtich the departing/landing runways at those airports too much, so I had a very good idea where I would be taking off and landing.  I would also log into an area where ATC was online and just listen without flying.  I did this for quite a long time.  I usually contact tower about 10 mi out from the runway I'm landing unless they call me. 

Chris B. Trane

RE networked computers, I have 2 in my office (flight deck) one for FSX, one for vPilot and everthing else, but I also have one in the livingroom area to use on the TV but run aivlasoft display unit, vatspy, and FSX Google earth tracker. With my wireless headset, can even make dinner whilst monitoring my flight. ^_^

While I keep all of my computing power in my room, I don't have a TV or much else interesting down there. Apart from doing laundry, I usually take my computer running vPilot upstairs to monitor for any contact messages as I watch TV, or otherwise get outside of the one room the sim is in. If it's nice out, the wireless is good enough to let me sit outside and work on other projects.

Hey Kyle,

I don't mean to to derail the thread into quesitons about networking but I did have one.  I've tried to network W7 and XP but I got fed up and it wasn't really worth it.  My flight sim is on W7 and I just got a laptop with W8.1.  Do you think I could network the W8 laptop to W7 desktop and run vPilot on the laptop? 

Chris B. Trane

I don't mean to to derail the thread into quesitons about networking but I did have one.  I've tried to network W7 and XP but I got fed up and it wasn't really worth it.  My flight sim is on W7 and I just got a laptop with W8.1.  Do you think I could network the W8 laptop to W7 desktop and run vPilot on the laptop? 

Hey Chris - don't forget that a networked config requires a properly set up SimConnect (HiFi's ASN Setup guide has a good procedure for you - even if you don't have ASN, you can still see the manual if you google it).

In order to avoid forcing my computers to resolve names, I just forced IP addresses. Setting a static IP is pretty easy, and, despite needing dynamic IPs on the network (because my roommates aren't as computer adept), I just gave my computers IPs up in the 200s. So you could have 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.1.202 as your sim comp and other comp. Unless you have a ton of people on your network, you won't ever get a dynamic IP assigned to conflict.

From there, you just need to install vPilot on both machines. Run Traffic Proxy on the sim machine (and hit CTRL+SHIFT+S to configure a PTT key that it'll send across the network to the other machine), and then run vPilot on the other. Done.

Kyle Rodgers

Ahh yes, I forgot about Simconnect.  I do have ASN and remember the explanation.  I'll do some re-reading and check it out.  Thanks much!

C.

Chris B. Trane

Thanks much!

Welcome - good luck! If you have questions, definitely post them on the AVSIM forum. There are lots of good network guys hanging out here. I think the ASN bit combined with that I gave you should get you going, though.

Kyle Rodgers

Guess what? I went up yesterday and what fun. I flew from Little Rock to Memphis in my Lancair in IFR conditions (about 800' ovc). Memphis Approach picked me up as soon as I climbed out of Little Rock and took me all the way. My PPL and Listening to the scanner has helped a lot with the radio on vatsim. The flight went off without a hitch and I loved every minute of it. Will probably get a chance to go up again Saturday. Thanks to all that has helped and a Merry Christmas to All.