Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

A question on the download. Is it possible to download the SE version but NOT install it at that time? I ask this primarilay so that if 'yes' I can take advantage of the sale yet hold off any install untill the game-changing issues for me are resolved.

Paul

Yes, you can buy now and install later. When you purchase a Steam title, it will give you the option of installing immediately, or not. If you don't install right away, you can install it later by going to your Steam Library.

There is no "FSX-SE.cfg" file, which I already reported. There is only the same old "fsx.cfg" file...

There is a "FSXSEConfig.exe" program in the root folder, but I have no idea what it is for...

There is, what appears to be, a definitive post relating to the new Dovetail registry keys over at the

FSD  forum. From what I gleened there, it LOOKS like both FSX and FSX-SE can live on the same system and installers can determine the two separate instal locations, knowing the registry keys.

I still see 'no FSUIPC4 support' and 'no Direct Connect' for MP to be show-stoppers for me!

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

There is no "FSX-SE.cfg" file, which I already reported. There is only the same old "fsx.cfg" file...

There is a "FSXSEConfig.exe" program in the root folder, but I have no idea what it is for...

Bavarian reported that there are two folders in appdata FSX and FSX_SE, I'm guessing he has both installed? Did you say you only had FSX:SE installed?

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

I still see 'no FSUIPC4 support

Paul, as I posted above, give Pete Dowson time to update his installer. DTG don't provide support for FSUIPC, Pete does

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Actually I don't think it is a good insurance policy. DTG is not immune to going belly up at some point in the future, so if you hadn't downloaded it by then, you may lose your ability to do it if that happens. If you have the disk space, I think it's best to install it, and just not use it, unless you lose you're DVD's   

If you buy a game on Steam then you always have the right to redownload it, even if the game is removed from Steam for any reason.

Really curious on the "recompiled in VS 2013" ... that can only be accomplished with source code and Dovetail's statement indicated they do NOT have the rights to the source code?  Confused?  I'm not sure what it is with Flight Sim publishers and content providers, but clarity is certainly NOT their strong point ... I'm assuming on purpose.

Anyway, with that said, I'm glad to see this bringing out some new flight simmers, I hope they stay for the long game and more importantly discover 3rd party support.

Cheers, Rob. 

Rob, they'd have to have the source code in order to recompile under VS2013. I'm quite sure that their rights to modify the source code to strip out the GameSpy crud and insert their own multi-player code was very carefully defined in their license agreement. In fact, they'd have to have the source code to change the multi-player code anyway!

What makes you think the ~500 folks who've bought already are "new" anyway? I suspect that many - if not most - are long-time FSX users who're taking advantage of the sale! :LMAO:

Any news about whether the SDK comes with it or do I need to install from my DVD?

The SDK is included. It is cleverly hidden in the ...\FSX\SDK folder! :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Did a manual install of the 777 and it works(Note: This is for users with the 777 installed in their main FSX folder). NOTE: This involves copying. PUT THEM IN THEIR RESPECTIVE FOLDERS INSIDE OF FSX:SE

1. Go to your main FSX.

2. Go to the PMDG folder

3. Copy the following folders/files:

DEM

DLL

PMDG777

Icons

FLIGHTPLANS

NAVDATA

SIDSTARS

WX

PMDG_Interface.dll

60da9ed3-1fa0-4a07-bb23-dc5defeb0131.index

4. Go to the Gauges file in the main directory

5. Copy the following files:

PMDG_777X.dll

PMDG_777X_2.dll

PMDG_777X_3.dll

PMDG_777X_3.ini

6.Go to the simobjects folder in your main directory then go to airplanes. Copy over everything that says PMDG 777

7. Go to where your config file is

8. copy the dll.xml file(Take out the FSUIPC4.dll line from the this file it will crash the sim)

9. ???

10. Profit

11. I might have missed a few things here and there. I will continue checking the FSX folders for anything else.

Edited by Gokau

Interesting... 80% of people buying but not installing :lol: I think that´s the first time i see people buying a "game" -- sorry -- and goes direct to the shelf. This air simmers are strange guys :P

That's normal on Steam. I have several games that I bought when there was a big sale, even years ago, that I never had the time to download, let alone play...

Bavarian reported that there are two folders in appdata FSX and FSX_SE, I'm guessing he has both installed? Did you say you only had FSX:SE installed?

I do have only FSX:SE installed on this dev computer. I will install FSX:SE on my sim machine tomorrow and see what differences are in the Registry...

Ryan (PMDG) has already confirmed that if the FSX:SE installer detects an existing FSX(MS) installed, then it will offer the option for a side-by-side install of FSX:SE.

However, I already know that FSX:SE by itself uses the same Registry Key that FSX:MS uses, so that still presents a potential problem for those of us who code the installers for our projects.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Our old gal just got a face lift. Bought, if nothing else, it will be a backup. I might remove original fsx and install "new" eventually. Depends on addon availability.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Any news about whether the SDK comes with it or do I need to install from my DVD?

It comes with it

Matthew Kane

I'm downloading it right now.  Looks to be over 4 hours to get it done, but for a fiver, it is worth the wait.

CaptainKen