Sign in to follow this  
KL791

Global AI Ship Traffic FSX and P3D News and Support

Once again - thanks for the many positive feedbacks on the Global Package.

Chris, the feedback received here and on other forums is generally speaking no hit on FPS; around 550 of the 600+ ships have only two drawcalls; some of the others have more but generally speaking almost all the models were done with AI purpose in mind. The latest additions in terms of models are more detailed than the first models, but also better optimised in terms of vertices. All my own testing has been done on a standard laptop... Finally ships are mostly out on the oceans alone so there is not that much more around to affect your performance. Only little issue is a slightly increased loading time at start up; I run with all WOAI + additional AI air traffic on 100 % on my installation and that takes a bit to load at start up.

To those asking for routes across the Oceans... I will look into it, but patience needed. No new updates right now.

Henrik, Thank you for clarifying. I have also read the manual, and one could also use only the traffic bgl files required for a certain region if there should be performance reasons.

It is great now to have a single package for easy installation instead of multiple downloads.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

You are absolutely right - if you just fly in one area e.g. the US you can sort the traffic files alphabetically and just install all the ones starting with US; you could also make folders with the traffic files by region in scenery add-on and then just activate the region you currently fly in.

Henrik, allow me to join the legion of grateful users who have, with great justification, heaped praise on you and your fellow team members for this outstanding achievement. I've been using your models and routes since your first upload and just never fly without them enabled now.

While I imagine that you have zero motivation to work on this any more right now, and just want a break from it, can I make somewhat off-the-wall suggestion for a future project? How about classic steam-era vessels i.e. ships from 1930-1960? These could be used on the existing routes, but would be a welcome alternative for those of us who like to fly classic-era aircraft and routes. I know there are a few in the existing project, but there's scope for many other variations.

Andy

To those asking for routes across the Oceans... I will look into it, but patience needed. No new updates right now.

No hurry, thank you. Also routes around all the Pacific islands would be great too.

There actually already routes around many of the Pacific islands, but apart from Hawaii, they are mostly in the Southern Pacific

Henrik, allow me to join the legion of grateful users who have, with great justification, heaped praise on you and your fellow team members for this outstanding achievement. I've been using your models and routes since your first upload and just never fly without them enabled now.

While I imagine that you have zero motivation to work on this any more right now, and just want a break from it, can I make somewhat off-the-wall suggestion for a future project? How about classic steam-era vessels i.e. ships from 1930-1960? These could be used on the existing routes, but would be a welcome alternative for those of us who like to fly classic-era aircraft and routes. I know there are a few in the existing project, but there's scope for many other variations.

Andy

Hi Andy, If you look deep inside the package you will realize that part of what you ask for is already there... Without counting exactly I think there are around 25 non-activated classic models in the package, just awaiting a route update. On top there are 30 - 40 ships, mostly sail boats though, which are still active today in real life and consequently activated on routes include in the package. Among those ships not activated you will find civil and navy versions of T2-tankers, Victory Class and Liberty Class freighters. On top both Erwin, Jean-Pierre, and I have additional classic models on stock so a classic package might not be unrealistic, however it will not be right now. If you want to activate some of the ships hidden in the package you can do that quite easily yourself with Google Earth and the freeware AIBTC.

Below just some of the ships included but not activated:

15080901553216112913495812.jpg

15072207243616112913462701.jpg

15080901454016112913495784.jpg

Sorry I had to post this here in the FSX forum, because this might P3DV3 related with this addon and wanted to keep everything in one place, but I noticed that when I was at Southampton EGHI airport in the UK, I could hear some very loud engine sounds in the background which I then realised was related to one of the sound files that I had installed in the package. The file playing was this one.

kkskogoy1.wav

I noticed this as well, the wav file is part of the global package and the sound is used on several ships and set way to loud.  There's a couple ways you can fix this.

1. rename the wav file or replace it with a silent wav file.  There aren't many occasions when you should even hear ships sounds and as you discovered when you do you really shouldn't be able to with them being miles away. 

2.  Edit the Fx file for every ship in the package that uses it. It's in the wake effect, for example, in fx_wake_haa_tanker_183.fx you'll find the section below... change the 20 to 5 or less.  Note some have this set at 50 and possibly a few at 40 and 45.

[sound]
FileName=kkgasturb.wav
MinAttenuationDistance=20.00
Looping=TRUE

3. Or just delete the entire Sound section from the fx file.   There's about of 100 of these fx files with sounds when I last looked under the old package.  I believe notepad++ has the ability to do a text replace across multiple files to make short work of this.
  • Upvote 1

Superb! Yeah, I was aware of some of them. I was thinking along the lines of the many passenger types which proliferated before jet travel shrank the planet, as well as the everyday tramp steamers, colliers and early tankers that plied the oceans back then. Still, as you say, what is there is an excellent place to start learning how to build the routes and schedules.

Cheers,

Andy

Superb! Yeah, I was aware of some of them. I was thinking along the lines of the many passenger types which proliferated before jet travel shrank the planet, as well as the everyday tramp steamers, colliers and early tankers that plied the oceans back then. Still, as you say, what is there is an excellent place to start learning how to build the routes and schedules.

Cheers,

Andy

On Jean-Pierre's website you will find a beautiful classic passenger ship the Empress of Ireland as well as a few others: http://www.jpfil.com/quebecfsx/scenes-navires.php

I noticed this as well, the wav file is part of the global package and the sound is used on several ships and set way to loud.  There's a couple ways you can fix this.

1. rename the wav file or replace it with a silent wav file.  There aren't many occasions when you should even hear ships sounds and as you discovered when you do you really shouldn't be able to with them being miles away. 

2.  Edit the Fx file for every ship in the package that uses it. It's in the wake effect, for example, in fx_wake_haa_tanker_183.fx you'll find the section below... change the 20 to 5 or less.

[sound]
FileName=kkgasturb.wav
MinAttenuationDistance=20.00
Looping=TRUE

3. Or just delete the entire Sound section from the fx file.   There's about of 100 of these fx files with sounds when I last looked under the old package.  I believe notepad++ has the ability to do a text replace across multiple files to make short work of this.

If you do not use to land on the ships i would recommend just to delete the three sound files rather than enter into changing all the effects; the question of how loud the sound should be has had many opinions and I think it really depends on the usage of the sim; personally I can live without the sound as I mostly look at the ships from above, but after the first package which was without sound I got many feedbacks asking for sound, and that it should be noticeable...

• Upvote 1

@KL791,

@AoA

Thanks for the advice about the sound file.

Much appreciated from you both.

16040508531516112914124634.jpg

Another of the "hidden" ships - the SS Martha, which was made famous in a Danish cult movie of the same name:

There actually already routes around many of the Pacific islands, but apart from Hawaii, they are mostly in the Southern Pacific

Nothing north of the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and in the north of PNG. Like Guam, Micronesia, Marshall Islands. Are there any plans to add routes in these areas?

Cheers, thank you Dave and everyone elses hard work. </p>

I understand where you are coming from -- I downloaded and the AVSIM servers were fast...I didn't have that experience last time -- downloading from Australia.

My thoughts, torrents can save bandwidth cost -- the free HD mesh available utilizes this method (40+ gb). </p>

My only recommendations would be to put the 'no torrent' clause in the readme file.

Thank you

Ben

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Hi Ben,

I will include that more explicitely in future readme's.

Henrik