Sign in to follow this  
pracines

An impressive FSX-SE report

Dovetail has been active with updates

I wonder what does this mean? Is Dovetail actively improving SE and we will see more updates and improvement?

I hope so. I know there reputation with updates for Train Simulator add-ons. It usually comes from the community itself or we have to wait another year.

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

If I may jump in..

We are. or should be aware by now that Dovetail has excluded the SDK from it's release, & also read the comments on another forum here..

Maybe, just maybe... (I'm copying what I posted on another forum..)..

Could it be that Dovetail is actually chuckling at us & the SDK is a non issue with them?

Maybe Dovetail's marketing plan is to release FSX:Steam to the newbies out there, their 'captive market' & not really for the, shall we call them. the hard core simmers. or even the more experienced guys that already are into the hobby.

So, their marketing idea could be that their release is a complete ready to run package, with suitable add-ons being released as DLC's?

Maybe we should consider FSX:Steam not as a replacement for FSX, but a completely 'new' sim geared for their market & to introduce new blood to simming. The fact that there are devs releasing & modding for FSX:SE is a bonus, but I think, maybe, they have released their version as a precurser to their own sim that is rumoured.

Could they be practising on the market?

This could be a worry if their 'new' release will be open to DLC's only?

Just my thoughts driving to work this morning.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Ok now that I have been running the new Beta things have changed for the better.

On 3/9/2015 DTG released a fix for the crashing issues that I (and some others) have been plagued with.

I fly all kinds of flights from circuits in the trike, to scenic island float plane tours, to the gladness of glider flights, to serious A2A C182 IFR missions, and even PMDG 777LR flights from WSSS- KEWR.

I did not get crashes in SE at first but I enjoyed excellent performance so I took the time to fly around places that usually in FSX-DVD brought my FPS to below 15 and I found that I was not having that problem anymore with SE. I could never fly around the New York City area with a freshly installed copy of FSX-DVD, default settings,  w/ Acceleration, and/or up to date with service packs. I always had to adjust FSX.cfg, NV inspector, and reduce the water slider full left but even then the performance of FSX-DVD was unacceptable. 99% of you know that same drill. 

When it came to a stress test in FSX-SE ( long hauls between the highly detailed airports) I found I could crash consistently no matter what settings. I had set even bare (full left/ all off) minimum. I knew for sure that there was a problem with SE. At the time I was amazed that anybody else was not getting these crashes even on long flights, but I knew it was not me or my systems. I tested on 3 different systems with 3 different OS's with the same crashing. After some testing of FSUIPC settings with Pete Dowson I decided that I needed to get out before I got mad, because DTG was not acknowledging the crashes. So I took a break from flight simming at the end of January and went to Euro Truck Sim 2 (which is very nice BTW). But I had hope because I knew Pete and DTG would get together and solve something, plus the fact that Hi Fi Simulations was having the same stability issues among their team.

Well this week with the new beta the first thing I did was Install FSUIPC and fly from EHAM to PANC- all total default settings, a flight that always crashed on me about 2 hours into the flight. I made it to PANC and it was smooth as Crisco Butter, something I did not expect. I expected that if DTG could make it stable, there would have to be a trade off and we would have to lose performance. I was very happy to make it to PANC and I decided to take it further w/o exiting FSX-SE and planned a flight to KATL flew it and made it no problem and I was getting excellent performance plus its still smooth. Well then I figured since this is still in beta, I will do every thing I know to make it crash, so I increased the graphic settings; full AI traffic, full scenery (but not water) sliders & DX9 mode. Without exiting FSX-SE since the day before, I flew From KATL to RJAA to YSSY to HAAB to NZAA and finally to KSFO. I thought for sure one morning I would wake to find a blank Windows desktop, but no, days of flying all over and still stutter free stable and ready for more. Well I exited FSX-SE to test this out on 2 other PC's to see how they do and got the same stability on 6+ hour flights. Last night I rebooted my PC added Bloom to the mix, all shadows and max water so I had all settings on and at MAX except DX10. I flew from KSFO and landed 3 hours ago at VNKT am on the way to LFPG and still stable and smooth.

With only about 4 hours of sleep per 24hrs this week it has been a total joy because there is very little worse in simming than a CTD especially when there has been lots of investment (planning <time>/add-ons <$>) in each flight. I may not even sleep over the weekend because I'm having too much fun trying to get FSX-SE to CTD ....who would have thought, even with 32 bit limitations. Once this fix is out of beta and 3rd parties have done their fixes I will slowly add my library of add-ons yet realizing that this is still a 32bit platform so I'm looking to the future for stability with major add-ons.       

The best of both worlds currently and I wonder why we could not have had this back in 2006 by the original MSFS Aces? I mean I have tested the SE version on the exact same PC I had during the FSX-DVD beta, it runs very smooth and I get 15-18 FPS at EGLL with MAX sliders! I could not even think of attempting this with FSX-DVD because I could only hope for 4 FPS. I'm glad that I never had to pay for FSX-DVD ( because I was on the beta team) as the $69 or whatever was steep for the headaches that we have endured. $4.99 was a blessing for SE and now FSX is more worth $200 ( when we compare the price of some 3rd party add-ons today and P3D gouging I mean pricing ugh) today then it has ever been.     

Anyway I want to thank Pete Dowson for all the excellent leadership and knowledge he was able to bring to DTG. I'm sure there were others that have contributed to this new fix and I appreciate all of you.

I encourage all simmers to voice their wishlist to DTG for the simulator that they are working on now. We may have a healthy competitor for P3D and XPlane. Lets not let DTG create another MS Flight that depends on DLC but rather a full world with MS Flight- UTX/GEX- ORBX or Google Earth like detail in DX12, running at 64bit, with A2A/PMDG quality planes as default. With ASNext quality weather that has clouds much more realistic than P3D even "never the same thing twice" like real life. With GSX like service for all airports and all aircraft (even AI!), with available FS2Crew and FS Passengers like services to enhance the immersion. With a 64 Bit platform these enhancements could and should be the default. Let 3rd parties go on to bigger and better things. Lets push the envelope because that is what we should be doing in flight simulation. And lets even encourage DTG to make it such that if we have current hi end hardware then we *ARE* able to use total max settings and get the pegged 20 ( even 30... possibly...maybe...hopefully <grin>) FPS at KORD with heavy thunderstorms and the scene mimics real life. This is not asking too much in 2015. Lets make real airline captains jealous over what we simulate with compared to what they use (besides the full motion for most of us), and make airlines come to the simulator we use for its 2nd to none realistic environment, that fools us all into thinking we are actually there. 

If DTG sees a huge backing from all of us I would even venture to think that they could make a separate department for a steam flight sim game like MS Flight with all the DLC and something separate like I describe above not even sold on steam.   

Lets get back to the track of steady progress that Mr. Bruce Artwick paved for PC Flight Simulation long ago.... its really the only choice we have or PC Flight Simulation will die.          

Lets push the envelope because that is what we should be doing in flight simulation. And lets even encourage DTG to make it such that if we have current hi end hardware then we *ARE* able to use total max settings and get the pegged 20 ( even 30... possibly...maybe...hopefully <grin>) FPS at KORD with heavy thunderstorms and the scene mimics real life. This is not asking too much in 2015. Lets make real airline captains jealous over what we simulate with compared to what they use (besides the full motion for most of us), and make airlines come to the simulator we use for its 2nd to none realistic environment, that fools us all into thinking we are actually there. 

Well, we can hope.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

6 flight at 14 hours using FSX:SE with no OOMs is good stuff

UAE.png
YPAD OMDB B777-36NER
(A6-ECN) 13:42 -258 fpm 17/04/2015
tick_icon.png
Add A Comment
Edit PIREP
UAE.png
OMDB YPAD B777-36NER