Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Prepar3D-ORBX warning that there are quite a few bugs to fix in Ver 2.5

Looks like it may be a while yet before V2.5 will be ready for release. It is good to know the Beta Testers are finding the problems and fixing before release. Many Thanks to all the guys @ LM and all the testers. As usual a special thanks to Rob for keeping us in the loop.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Is it bugs with Prepar3D 2.5? Based on John Venema's post, I'd wager they are working on compatibility issues with Orbx's deep-dive systems and v2.5.

If Lockheed is making substantial adjustments to various files, locations, configurations and such, I would imagine that Prepar3D itself will work just fine, but lots of 3rd party developed items will need some updating as well.

What benefits does this massive re-organization of the P3D folder structure actually bring? The old mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems fitting here.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yet on the other hand, restructuring now makes it quite evident that LM's design for P3d is not in keeping with the current layout.  So, much to consider and I for one I'm interesting on details/plans for the path ahead...

What benefits does this massive re-organization of the P3D folder structure actually bring? The old mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems fitting here.

To provide 3rd party with more flexibility in the future.  Key files have been moved to allow for more structured 3rd party interaction ... terrain.cfg (this impacts Orbx or anyone writing to the file), suneffect.cfg (this would impact REX), shadersHLSL.cfg (this is pretty cool, think of some great 3rd party possibilities here).  It's obviously going to cause some work with 3rd party but I'm glad John V. and his crew are already on top of it ... and Pete D. with FSUIPC is already on top of even with his of a pending vacation :)

3rd party obviously don't like to do additional work, but they have been very supportive.

LM have always been in this for the long haul ... it's only those few and regular members that keep suggesting the end is near ... but hopefully people realize by now that LM is going on v2.5 that those who spread such speculation are indeed not accurate.

We're in the Beta process right now, then we move into RC process, then final release.  However long that takes is however long that takes ;)

Cheers, Rob.

My guess is that LM is trying to get most of V2.* organized and stable. I think once that is done then it may be quite sometime before V3.0. Just seems like at some point things need to slow down a bit in order for Dev's to catch up......... LOL Users also!

Never mind me....What Rob said above!!!! :lol:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Thanks Rob, very useful and clear.

This means that also the collaboration with Nvidia is postponed?

This means that also the collaboration with Nvidia is postponed?

No idea why you would say that?

Cheers, Rob.

Just seems like at some point things need to slow down a bit in order for Dev's to catch up

LM will also need to provide updated documentation for the SDK.  But also keep in mind the SDK isn't just for "official" 3rd party developers, it's really for anyone that wants to extend the platform ... so keeping it updated is important.

Cheers, Rob.

No idea why you would say that?

Cheers, Rob.

Maybe Nvidia expects the 2.5 for a dedicated driver to P3D?

Maybe Nvidia expects the 2.5 for a dedicated driver to P3D?

I'm sure LM have provided nVidia whatever they want/need and it would not postpone an ongoing communication and/or work efforts.

Back on course, these are some of the key files that have moved out of the root of P3D:

airlines.cfg

AirObjectVisuals.xml

cameras.cfg

DefaultRecordAndPlayback.xml

Display.cfg

OxyPlot.Wpf.xml

Scenery.cfg

SimDisplay.xml

SlimDX.xml

suneffect.cfg

terrain.cfg

ThermalDescriptions.xml

WatersConstants.xml

As you can see, these are all "configuration" type files so it makes sense to move them to ProgramData path.  It would also make it easier for LM to provide "updates" (rather than complete re-installs) when their application root contains only core product components and not configuration files.  It makes logical sense, but it of course has implications for anyone (3rd party or otherwise) that reads/writes to those files.

For testing, I have to manually copy the 3rd party adjusted files from P3D root over to ProgramData path.

Cheers, Rob.

You know Rob that they could avoid all of this by simply not having the program install in the stupid Program Files(x86) folder to begin with... :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Back on course, these are some of the key files that have moved out of the root of P3D:

Rob,

Please convey to LM that in the interim, they could put symlinks to all those files in the main P3d folder. That would allow for an easier transition for 3rd party developers.

To provide 3rd party with more flexibility in the future.  Key files have been moved to allow for more structured 3rd party interaction ... terrain.cfg (this impacts Orbx or anyone writing to the file), suneffect.cfg (this would impact REX), shadersHLSL.cfg (this is pretty cool, think of some great 3rd party possibilities here).  It's obviously going to cause some work with 3rd party but I'm glad John V. and his crew are already on top of it ... and Pete D. with FSUIPC is already on top of even with his of a pending vacation :)

3rd party obviously don't like to do additional work, but they have been very supportive.

LM have always been in this for the long haul ... it's only those few and regular members that keep suggesting the end is near ... but hopefully people realize by now that LM is going on v2.5 that those who spread such speculation are indeed not accurate.

We're in the Beta process right now, then we move into RC process, then final release.  However long that takes is however long that takes ;)

Cheers, Rob.

I'm just curious, and I stress I have no information to suggest there is an issue, but if Pete was to decide he wasn't going to bother anymore, what impact would this have on the flight-sim world with regard to developments and updates?

Ian S

38.jpg

3rd party obviously don't like to do additional work, but they have been very supportive

Well thanks for that Rob. Understand there are things you can't discuss, but with the relocation of files, will some addons be broken? If so, will there be a temporary workaround? Thanks.

I'm just curious, and I stress I have no information to suggest there is an issue, but if Pete was to decide he wasn't going to bother anymore, what impact would this have on the flight-sim world with regard to developments and updates?

Ian,

I have no information either, but I can't imagine Peter Dowson allowing development of FSUIPC to lapse while there is still a need for the product. It is a commercial project, but owned by an individual who has genuine concerns for those swimming through the interesting waters of flight sim.

As for impact if the product lapsed: FSUIPC was the second purchase I made after FSX. Had it not been for that, I'm sure I would've given up in disgust.

I would hazard a guess that if he decided to disappear onto some small island somewhere; either he or a successor would keep the wrenches turned. That's my take...all speculation.

Personally I feel that at one point P3Dv2 will become really stable and restructured for the next level.

No more moving around of config files (like with the ORBX Config tool) etc. should be neccessary just to fly from one region to another. I do realize that these are limitation work-arounds since the old FSX days, but now that the code is being further developed, it would be nice if it would be made so flexible, that these work-arounds are not neccessary anymore. 

It would also be nice if Addons like ORBX Global, REX or ActiveSky would not need to overwrite original texture files in order to do their magic but rather the sim be so flexibly configurable to use these textures instead. So if one needs/wants to go back to vanilla, this should be easyly possible by deactivating addons, and not through reinstallations of P3D.

Hopefully this restructuring is part of this broader effort.

kind regards