Sign in to follow this  
R Hardman

Standalone Full ATC?

The biggest problem encountered by John Dekker - author of Radar Contact - was trying to take control of Ai aircraft. FS would constantly try to regain control. That's why Ai will occasionally taxi right through your aircraft and cut across you during taxi.

It's unlikely that problem can ever be resolved. Beside that an ATC program is probably the most complex to write and won't appeal to the casual flier. Hence Gerry's point that it's probably not commercially worthwhile.

Has the possibility of selling off the source code for Radar Contact ever been discussed?  Is that even possible?

IMO, RC4 is the best ATC client available but still, obviously has some major holes and tweaks that need to be filled/made before being a complete ATC solution.  Would be nice to have that as a base for someone to continue on with rather than re-inventing the wheel from scratch again.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Has the possibility of selling off the source code for Radar Contact ever been discussed?

Why - I understand Radar Contact is still earning money for the developers?

Why - I understand Radar Contact is still earning money for the developers?

So it can be further developed by someone that has the time/resources.  Maybe not sell it then but enter a partnership or hire someone that will continue on under the JDT LLC company.

I'm just curious and have no clue if any of it's possible, whether due to legal reasons, business reasons or just that JDT wouldn't sell.  But I don't recall ever seeing it discussed either and think it would be an option.  Even if JDT retains some of the profits or something, it would be nice to move it forward.  It really does just need a few holes filled and it would be right there.  Continuing on would cut how many years off development time for someone else vs starting from the ground up.  Heck, I'd love to see the code myself to see what I could even do with it.  Would be so nice to take care of what's missing and tweak some things.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Seem strange, but don't you agree with me that best ATC voices is still default ones?

Not if you only fly in European airspace

Has the possibility of selling off the source code for Radar Contact ever been discussed? Is that even possible?

I keep meaning to suggest that to John but there's nothing to stop any of you doing it. His email address can be found on the top locked topic on the RC forum. Maybe the more the merrier.

John doesn't visit the forum so a private email is the best option.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

John doesn't visit the forum so a private email is the best option.

and that is why I would never buy his product.

and that is why I would never buy his product.

Show me any request for help on the forum that has not been answered. Ron and I have provided unpaid support for years.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Has the possibility of selling off the source code for Radar Contact ever been discussed? Is that even possible?

IMO, RC4 is the best ATC client available but still, obviously has some major holes and tweaks that need to be filled/made before being a complete ATC solution. Would be nice to have that as a base for someone to continue on with rather than re-inventing the wheel from scratch again.

If you could continue to develop RC, buying its code, would be very appreciated, especially adding feature that actually are missing, like taxi guidance or SID/STARs procedure.

Will you be able to manage the code and renew RC?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

How much would it cost to buy the code for RC?

I suggest that RC's present owners would want to be paid RC annual sales year-on-year. Any new developers would have to pay those plus the costs of the costs of development rtc. Any posters here have the money for that?