Sign in to follow this  
R Hardman

Standalone Full ATC?

The default ATC in FSX not only controlled AI ground movement, holding at intersections, but overall, pretty decent ground control (in flight less to be desired). This is from a program released in 2006. So almost 10 years later after all the other add-ons to FSX why is there not a fully functional standalone ATC that I can find?  I'm not interested in online programs that I have wait for someone on the other end. I already have RC4 and ProAtc. I like RC4 but no ground control and there are no future releases. ProAtc, is... well... good in concept but updates are too slow coming and are too buggy. Does anyone know of another ATC program that is not required to be online, yet controls ground AI, tells you to taxi via A B C D1 and to hold if other aircraft are passing, and gives quality instructions in the air and can cope with SID STAR procedures, and provide info for the small airports that have no AIRAC charts?  Thanks.

I agree, it's disappointing we don't have better options for reliable, realistic ATC addons in FS.     But unfortunately, RC4, ProATCx, VoxATC and PFE remain the best around at this time.

I found that default ATC has been the best option for me. There's the occasional bug, but I can live with it.

I read that FSX-Steam has less bugs, but I'd have to test the validity of such claims.

I'm waiting for GoFlight to add support before I give FSX-Steam another go.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The ATC is FSX:Steam is identical to the ATC is MS FSX.

I personally find default ATC perfect for VFR flights.   It's actually really good in this regard.   But for IFR flights, the arrival and approach vectoring is just awful.   And the way climbs are managed is poor too (default ATC waits until you are almost levelling out at each climb altitude before giving the next climb clearance - very annoying!).

As an avid listener on ATCLIVE.NET I have no problem with using VoxATC.   I think it provides a very believable and reliable experience from Delivery to the arrival gate and it's voice controlled.   It handles SIDS/STARS, IFR, VFR, AI Traffic Management and emergencies.  I mean what else are you needing from your ATC system?

The only complaint I have with VoxATC is its Handoff Happy when you get to cruise.   I am fairly certain you aren't handed off to 6 different ARTCC's in one zone.   The author is aware of the problem but has not found a solution.   He actively develops and responds fairly quickly to e-mail inquires.

If you find that planes are taxing weird at an airport its not the ATC software either.  It's the AI pathing in the AFCAD.   The ground movements are only as good as the AI path setup.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Before this gets out of hand yet again: #TeamRC4forIFR

What on earth does that mean??

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

My vote goes for VoxATC and Pro-ATC. Both are fairly good but have their downside. Pro-ATC is still a bit buggy and occasionally crashes during a flight, and VoxATC takes over your AI traffic and sounds best only after you bought some additional voices from third-party companies. However, if you can live with one of these problems then you will get a good ATC experience.

Peter

What on earth does that mean??

In the first part, I believe he was predicting that this thread will go downhill and eventually lead to arguing and being locked. In the second part, he was stating that he thinks Radar Contact is the best ATC program for IFR flights.

Before this gets out of hand yet again: #TeamRC4forIFR

Please can we avoid this twitter type hashtag rubbish on this forum.

I have no idea, like the other poster what you are on about.

I've been lurking on these addon ATC topics for years.

The one common theme: there is no addon that is equal to FSX ATC.

Let me keep lurking...

supporter.jpg

All,

Thanks for the feedback and I did take a look at PFE and VoxATC.

VoxATC from initial looks, does not have a keyboard interface but looks like a major step in the right direction... but 99% of my flights need to be seen and not heard (headphones on and quiet for family). PFE, I'll dig more into reading it's capabilities and user reports to see if that may fit my needs. Thanks again!

Vatsim

Couldn't agree more! Other than occasional test flights, I don't ever fly single palyer. In addition to VATSIM, there are a number of Multiplayer networks that are available via the in-game multiplayer function.

Most of the "sessions" are listed at http://www.fsopen.co.uk Boston Virtual is more focused on IFR ops. Despite their name they do not limit operations to Boston. FSFlyboys also does a lot of ATC and some off of the cuff stuff. MSFlights is my home and personal favorite. Group flights and random flights involve a little of everything with ATC ops being the least common type of activity.

The big advantage of the multiplayer is community. Every network has a system of communcating via voice. TEAMSPEAK 3 is free software and used by almost 100% of the networks. A microphone is of course useful but text comms works to some degree as well. It's available at http://www.teamspeak.com

Enjoy the automated ATC for what it's worth. But don't think that all that FS is.