Sign in to follow this  
jzimmermann

P3Dv2.5 Water - Is It Really That Bad?

I've seen quite a few messages here on Avsim that seem to indicate a general dislike for the way water is shown in P3Dv2.5, and the impression I have is that many feel that it looks much better in FSX.

I do think that FSX with Steve's DX10 Fix did a great job showing water, I also feel that P3Dv2.5 does quite a good job.

What is your own experience? Do you like it or dislike it? Do you have any magic settings that you feel make it look much better than the default look in P3dV2.5?

Below is a short video clip showing default P3Dv2.5 water, no extra textures or anything have been added. I think it's actually quite good.

What do you think?

I've also added a video from the Beta phase where someone was showing off the water.

Cheers,

Jerome

http://goo.gl/J5KIZN

waterhbamm.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_Vo-JukmQ

The problem with almost anything in the sim is it's all based on people's own perception and/or interpretation of what real life looks like to them.  No one will ever agree on that across the board I don't think.

I've wondered the same as you and think P3D's water is better than FSX.  But, there are people here that swear FSX still blows P3D away in this category.  I also love X-Plane's water.  But, again, there are people here that think that is wrong too.  Who's eyes are right?

I think if you showed ten people a set of different pictures of the same scene and asked them which one is the real picture and which is computer generated, you'd probably get 10 different answers.  At least you'd get 10 different answers on which looks the best anyway.  :)

Hi Brett,

My water settings are maxed, textures are default, no REX or any other add-on water textures are installed.

Cheers,

Jerome

I've seen quite a few messages here on Avsim that seem to indicate a general dislike for the way water is shown in P3Dv2.5, and the impression I have is that many feel that it looks much better in FSX.

That is correct. Although I am still on P3D 2.3 I have not seen much improvements in 2.5.

Although I have moved on to P3D I still have heartburn when flying over the vast ocean... When there is no sun light, the water visual of ocean is a flat in-animated linoleum texture. (I'd rather fly over clouds now in P3D)  I miss the  tiny white wakes that appear and disappear in FSX which gives the impression the ocean is alive. P3D has given me the amazing Volumetric fog and took away my oceans.

IF LM puts out a single patch to give me back the same FSX water...that would be one huge upgrade!

No, it does not work, and moreover the maker Striking Software does not have any intention to make it compatible.

Kind regards, Michael

......hmmm......probably not safe to drink!   But otherwise, quite pleasant under some situations...lacking in others.  All around, a step forward.

My hunch is that eventually REX will offer a more suited P3D

They already have. IT has not come close to FSX Animation. They too are limited by what LM does.

It's with LM 100%. Unless they think this is a serious item and a big win, we are not gonna  see any significant improvement.

i can';t believe DX11 water cannot be as good as DX10 water.  This has been my biggest gripe against P3D. IF LM solves this issue (and better VAS management), then FSX  is out. and we can truly move on.

i can';t believe DX11 water cannot be as good as DX10 water.  This has been my biggest gripe against P3D.

Agree completely.  It's just dull.

I think it looks pretty good

In all your screen shots you have it with the reflection of the sun. Can you post from the  other side? see how dull and flat and non animated it is.

In all your screen shots you have it with the reflection of the sun. Can you post from the  other side? see how dull and flat and non animated it is.

2015_5_10_22_22_37_479.jpg

I also love X-Plane's water. But, again, there are people here that think that is wrong too. Who's eyes are right?

^_^ Remind me you created a thread in FSX forum saying X-plane's water is better than FSX and an Admin immediately asked you whether you were trolling.

^_^ Remind me you created a thread in FSX forum saying X-plane's water is better than FSX and an Admin immediately asked you whether you were trolling.

What does that have to do with anything?  I'm not saying one IS better than the other here.  There IS no definitive answer on this because we all see things differently or have different ideas of what real looks like.  So I'm just stating my opinion and also stating that we aren't going to all agree here as to what looks best, as is obviously the case here.

The only gripe I have with it is that the 3D modeled waves are only visible from a relatively low altitude.

The good thing about the P3D waves are that they are actually dependent on wind direction. That might be why getting a good animation to suit is difficult in P3D, E.g. REX wave animation might be oriented differently to actually wind induced wave direction.

I think it looks pretty good

Great shots there David, thanks for posting them!

Cheers,

Jerome