Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

***PSA***NVidia 352.86 Drivers Do Not Work With X-Plane

http://developer.x-plane.com/2015/05/nvidia-352-86-drivers-do-not-work-with-x-plane/

NVidia 352.86 Drivers Do Not Work With X-Plane
Posted on May 18, 2015 by Ben Supnik

I’ve received a few bug reports about this today: NVidia’s new 352.86 WHQL drivers for Windows do not work with X-Plane 10. I’m contacting Nvidia now to figure out what has happened.

In the meantime, to fly X-Plane, use the previous 340.52 WHQL driver.

I’ll post more when I learn more; we’ll resolve this with either a driver update or an X-Plane update, based on what has actually gone wrong and which can happen first.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nvidia has been so eager to cater to the latest big budget titles, that they seem to be dropping the ball on other things.

Oh, snap. But I run both The Witcher 3 and X-Plane... Here's hoping Nvidia releases a fix soon.

Yea,I couldn't even get XPlane to boot up,Had to roll back.

Update: NVidia was able to suggest a work-around in our shaders that avoids what I think is a driver bug. Since we can cut an X-Plane build faster than NVidia can re-release their drivers, I have cut X-Plane 10.36 rc1.

You can get 10.36 rc1 by running the updater and checking “get new betas”; the updater will run even with the newest NVidia drivers.

10.36 rc1 is identical to 10.35 except for version number and a single shader change, but it’s also highly untested; I wanted to get it posted ASAP to accelerate the process. So please give it a try and file a bug if it doesn’t work like 10.35 (but working with the new NVidia drivers.)

Awesome dev work on the quick fix. That's what I call fast. :Shocked:

And thanks for the hu in general, Vincent. :smile: Greetings to all Witcher fans.

I can confirm that this 10.36r1 update solves the problem with that latest nVidia update, at least on my machine. All working fine now.

Thank you!

:smile: And greetings to all Witcher fans.

Yeah, I didn't want to admit to why I didn't want to roll back. But there it is.  :P

Everyone happy on this local HD and SSD now.

Ran updater for beta and says the d/l size is 128gb - have it on a ssd250 with 58gb remaining - how do I d/l the ver 10.36r1?

Like Phantom88 will not load - do not want to reinstall other driver - using it for other progs.

I like xplane too.

Denis B

Hi,

Like bursco I ran the updater and it wanted to download 20GB data. I will wait and see if there is a leaner fix than this.

Keep up the good work,

John.

Tried again for curosity and its jumped to a 360gb d/l - whoops???

Denis B

I have the luxury of a pair of big 4TB drives, but the pain of a slow DSL internet connection.  Perhaps I can trade with someone ... :lol:

Hold on a few - This should help

Update 2: Sigh…this is what happens when I try to rush out a patch. The 10.36 patch’s free space calculation is totally borked. This will be fixed some time today. (This will be the third time I cut a patch.)

Hold on a few - This should help

Update 2: Sigh…this is what happens when I try to rush out a patch. The 10.36 patch’s free space calculation is totally borked. This will be fixed some time today. (This will be the [/size]third time I cut a patch.)[/size]

Thankyou sir - will take a look later - very quick response

Denis B

Downloaded the beta update (10.36rc1, 135mb) and installed the NVIDIA driver (352.86) and it works, sort of. X-Plane crashes sometimes after a while and seems a little unstable. But hey! this is Beta.

What I really like is the fact that there are dedicated guys working on this great Sim, keep up the good work, thank you!!

Edited by torfih

A bit off-topic but not completely

While Ben is in talks with Nvidia  (as I believe 10.36 is a termporary solution until nvidia fixes their drivers) , I saw in the comment on the blog that wasn't  aware of the problem with threaded optimization/newer drivers and stutters.

Personaly Im not suferring from these anymore , but if somebody is , please file a bug report about this , that drivers which are newer than 337.88 are causing some stutters.

Ben said that threaded optimization in theory , may increase performance , however right now as we can see it causes stutters , so if Nvidia will be aware of this and in talks with Ben they might fix all of those issues in their next drivers.

Installed update and now xplane works - not well up with the technical things in xplane, just as long as it works.

Thanks

DMB

Did you guys see any difference in display quality or performance with the new drivers?

I'm not sure about quality but I am fairly certain my FPS have leaped up quite a bit.  I like to run three monitors with XP but my FPS always tanked to 15 or so.  With this driver they have stayed up in the 40's. 

I might be hallucinating but seems like the FPS has improved for me.

I also saw some reports about fps increase , some report a HUGE increase.

I didn't notice anything though , but very interesting.

Just before update fps 53/54

2 minutes after update 57/59

Maybe a cloud had moved a wee bit :lol:

I too have seen higher FRs.  They have been moderate - approximately 10%.  I do, however, still find that the later nVidia drivers cause "stutters".  While flying at a 59-60 FR, it will suddenly "lock up" for several seconds and when it starts again, the FR count will be very low and then go back to where it was.  Yes, I use TrackIR and some might blame the movement factor, but I can turn it off and get the same results.  Reinstall 337.88 (I think - on another computer in a different area now) and I have the FRs back with no studder. In short, the new driver issue seems to be be fixed, but the OpenGL thing has not - at least for me.  No problem, I'm to old to play all the games the new drivers seem to support, so I have my favorite simulator giving me the experience I require.  I have been "playing" with different settings for several days now to decide if I was just seeing things or if it is real and not seeing "stutters" tells me I am on to something.  There may be some drivers newer than those mentioned that provide a "stutter free" experience, but these work for me. 

John