Sign in to follow this  
BamaKevin

Rex Weather Architect

I am curious if anyone is using Rex Weather Architect? Looking for some reviews if you are.

Kevin Humphryes

Nope - I use ASN - no reason to switch.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ASN user here too. I have no use for a weather creator when I can get the most realistic weather with the click of a button.

That may be, but Weather Architect has one feature that I am very curious about. Some how it is able to select the appropriate cloud textures from texture direct based on whether data.

If that works well, then I'm sure it is a precursor to Weather Direct... And ASN will have some stiff competition then!

Not hardly. Think about what you posted - what are "appropriate" cloud textures? You mean when the weather is bad you get dark clouds? gee - I get them too!

Sorry to be poking fun but hype is hype. Once the sim (FSX/P3D) is loaded, you cannot change the clouds - all the relevant files have been loaded. If you know what the weather is going to be before you fly, you can select varying cloud sets, if you wish.

But as I said - right now - I get the perfect cloud for the weather using ASN (and REX clouds).

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am using it since Sunday. Have made a few scenarios which seemed to work OK. I don't have the texture direct installed (have it though) so I can't comment on that portion. I do have the soft cloud stand alone pack which seems to work fine with it. One thing I do like is that you can check the actual radar/satellite of the weather channel then make it closely to as seen on TV. It definitely doesn't have the effect on FPS that weather injectors do and the clouds don't just go from they're here to POOF THEY GONE as they do with some other programs. So my theory is, works as advertised you just have to put in the effort to have the weather..

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

@rparson99 - Weather Architect uses a similar processes developed within REX Texture Direct for real weather.  Weather Direct is different.

@Pivot - Thank you for you kind words and am glad you are enjoying Weather Architect.

@Vic - Not to be disrespectful, what rparson99 was referring to was the ability for Weather Architect to read what weather you have created and select the textures that better match the scenario you have created.  There are cloud structures within TD that match closer to specific weather situations.  Is it perfect - no.  No one every said it was perfect. But neither is FSX or P3D for that matter.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Frankly, I don't know what the purpose of this product is. Maybe someone who's into creating fancy screen shots might find some use for it. I'd rather have realistic real-world weather, and not something I need to "design" myself. But if someone can convince me that by buying this product I will be able to turn out visuals like those presented in their marketing images, I'll be happy to hand over some cash...

@rstough - ok, Reed - that makes more sense. It's is essentially what As2012 did in selecting weather based themes. The premise works.  So it should be a good thing.

Vic

It's a really nice product. What's often important to some is that the weather is set and remains predictable for the entire route, flight plan, and intended runways.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

What's also appealing is the prospect of being able to put together a weather scenario for some distant region or other - say, the Pacific Northwest or Norway or something else far away from my US East Coast out-the-window view - without being tied to the current weather or having to research historical weather. Sometimes I don't necessarily want to fly in my home region or be tied to real or historical weather at all. I could see this being a useful alternative when "typical" or some particular variety of weather is as much as I need. So in a way it could help some users expand the reach of the sim. I haven't bought it yet but I'd consider it for this kind of use.

• Upvote 1

No. Don't see a need for this ASN does all this except for being able to draw some colorful squares on the sim. I'll stick with ASN.

It's a really nice product. What's often important to some is that the weather is set and remains predictable for the entire route, flight plan, and intended runways.

Which is one of the things I wouldn't like at all. As usual everyone has their own preferences for certain things so I can indeed imagine some people may find this add-on great and very useful! However, knowing exactly what weather I will get because I created it myself seems utterly boring to me. Besides, to get a bit of variation you have to put in a lot of work, it seems to me: way too much work for my taste. I think a lot of people will end up with rather generic and simple weather (when it comes to the details which have to be edited for every kind of cell).

But again, this is a personal view: I certainly can see its use for some people. And I have to say REX did a nice job on the interface: painting weather like that is a nice way of getting things done. I also have to add that if ASN didn't have its awesome historic weather feature I might consider getting this architect because I also don't want to fly with current real weather all the time (like during the winter or when I am flying in the evening or on the other side of the world).

I will be able to turn out visuals like those presented in their marketing images

Those visuals have nothing to do with the architect but with their textures. You can get images like that with any weather engine if you would use the same textures.

ASN does all this except for being able to draw some colorful squares on the sim. I'll stick with ASN.

BTW This architect isn't an alternative for ASN: it's something else and some people will find use for both. It's not a weather engine like ASN is. So you can't simply say ASN does all this because, in fact, it does nothing the architect does. 

OP is asking for reviews on Rex Weather Architect only . It would be nice if we can let that happen

• Upvote 1

ZORAN