Sign in to follow this  
reecemj

Realair Legacy Release

Free castoring wheel does need a deft touch on the pedals. Coming to a halt in particular. both pedals need to be used at the same rate. I was far too heavy footed to start with. It's still very squirly if the landing is a tad hot.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Free castoring seems squirrely to me when flying the cirrus in real life - never flown a legacy though

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Free castoring wheel does need a deft touch on the pedals. Coming to a halt in particular. both pedals need to be used at the same rate. I was far too heavy footed to start with. It's still very squirly if the landing is a tad hot.

Ok. But even when using the brake button on my joystick, which I presume mimics a perfect use of both toe brakes at once (?), result in my plane going sideways. But well, rudders for steering are fine too. For now.

Free castoring seems squirrely to me when flying the cirrus in real life - never flown a legacy though

Ok. So free castoring is supposed to be a bit crap. ;) But I can't imagine it could result in the plane going sideways in real life. But maybe I am mistaken.

I haven't had any issues with the legacy on my end - I use free castoring option with saitek combat pedals.

Can you post your controller page setup?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I haven't had any issues with the legacy on my end - I use free castoring option with saitek combat pedals.

Same here..

Bert

I'm not a huge fan of free-castoring nose wheels in the sim but they can be just fine in real life once you get the hang of them.  The only reason I don't care for them in the sim is that, in real life brakes have feel and feedback.  In the sim that's obviously not the case and that makes it hard to keep braking clean and well modulated - a necessity for a credible job of steering control.  I've always accepted that limitation and set the Legacy to nose wheel steering linked to the rudder pedals.  It's basically a concession to sim limitations in my mind.

Scott

Can you post your controller page setup?

Saitek Pro Flight Control Rubber Pedals

Brake (left axis) Sensitivity 127 Null Zone 1

Brake (right axis) Sensitivity 127 Null Zone 1

Rudder axis Sensitivity 64 Null Zone 5

Too sensitive...? You'd expect that to be better but maybe I am wrong...

Ok. But even when using the brake button on my joystick, which I presume mimics a perfect use of both toe brakes at once (?), result in my plane going sideways. But well, rudders for steering are fine too. For now.

Ok. So free castoring is supposed to be a bit crap. ;) But I can't imagine it could result in the plane going sideways in real life. But maybe I am mistaken.

How fast are you taxiing to actually go sideways when trying to Stop? Have you tried a smooth and gradual stop?

Regards,

Rsy

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

The guide covers this subject with quite a detailed paragraph. I can confirm that there are no bugs in the brakes or the steering on the Legacy. If you are getting a lurch to one side or another that isn't actually commanded by the pedals then it has to be a calibration error.

What you do have to watch though is that compared with larger aircraft the Legacy has a tiny wheel base. That means it is very sensitive under braking and steering compared with, say, an airliner which has hugely more inertia and a very long wheel base.

As the guide says, you can use the standard key for balanced braking. If you want more control then you have to practice very even pressure on the pedals. I was pretty crap at this until I got used to it. You can also apply full braking with both feet and that will automatically keep you dead straight. With differential braking the rudder alone will steer you at speeds over 10-15 knots, or slower if you "blip" the throttle briefly.

A rather glaring flaw with FSX and P3d is that the parameter to cut down the severity of pedal differential braking is broken. It defaults to a value of 1.0 but if you set it to 0.1 or even 0.0001 it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Jereon: You can slightly reduce rudder sensitivity in the sim controls menu by pulling the slider a little to the left. Doing that too much will not be useful but there is some leeway there. Of course, you can choose non differential rudder/braking and that should make the Legacy much more stable.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I haven't flown a real world Legacy, but do own a Grumman AA5 that has a similar castoring nose wheel just like the Legacy, and can say with my CH Pedals Real Air nailed the model and it handles just fine and felt right at home.

There is a learning curve initially, but once you get the feel for it, I wouldn't trade it for a nose wheel stuck to the rudder pedals... it allows for much tighter turning.

Just like in the real plane, in the sim I'll start with the nose slightly cocked to the right and by the time things straighten out rudder alone is enough to keep things down the runway.  Even at a brisk taxi ~15mph or so depending on winds the rudder is sufficient.

Ok, thanks for all the replies! Good to know the plane is fine and that using the free castoring wheel simply needs practice. And that I might have to test various rudder calibration settings.

@Ray: good point about the speed. I do have the tendency to taxi too fast. I also do try to stop smooth and gradual but it could be that simply doesn't work when you come in too fast. Which raises the next question: at what speed do you all taxi? This seriously is the first time I wonder about that... Does the manual indicate a taxi speed? Can't check that right now.

@Robert: good to know that even you were 'pretty crap' at it at first. :P That gives me hope. Using the rudder is indeed an option but I am going for full realism now (as far as possible) so I want this to work. ;) And sorry for maybe giving the impression I was trying to blame a bug for my problems. That wasn't my intention. ;) Must be annoying to deliver a perfect plane and then see people put the blame for their own pilot's errors on a bug and hence the developer. Again, not my intention.

I will report back on this! Thanks for all the tips! I do love the Avsim community! :)

Taxi speed depends on surface conditions, wind and weather, congestion, markings, complexity of the airplane, weight and size of the airplane whether it is powered by propellers or turbines and a few other factors.

I have found the safest and most experienced pilots tend to taxi much slower than low time pilots and the airline captains and flight examiners always have the front wheel exactly in the middle of the yellow line. They also come to complete stops as smoothly as your Grandmother driving her Oldsmobile to church on Sunday morning.

A rough guide would be something less than 10 knots for high speed taxi and maybe half that when turning or approaching a stop. Of course, if other planes are close by, or the fuel truck is racing up and down the ramp, then exercise even greater caution.

I copied the following from the Flight1 B200 King Air review. The link to the full review is in my signature.

A little Side Note

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . . I flew my Cessna 150 over to Jack Brown’s Seaplane Base outside Orlando, Florida to get one of those weekend SES ratings. Jack saw my 4 or 5 year old C150 tied down and asked if he could take it around the pattern a couple of times. OK, I have a few hundred hours total time and Jack is closing in on 24,000 logged hours. I say sure. Without speaking a word during that short circuit or two I learned more about good piloting technique, smoothness, deliberate actions, and such than any series of lessons.

Now this is a lowly C150 with a very senior pilot in the left seat. I will always remember that the didn’t push or pull anything, he didn’t turn anything – he eased the throttle in so slowly it was not even noticeable when he got to full power and he didn’t pull the yoke back at lift off speed, the airplane just magically transitioned from the ground mode to the flight mode and then just ascended toward the heavens. Somehow, the plane eased into a fully coordinated climbing left turn with no visible effort by the pilot. Guys, I’m witnessing some smmoooooth flying technique. The touch and go and landing was the same type of flying. He never touched the brakes when taxiing; the plane just somehow came back where we started. Nose wheel glued to the yellow line. No visible effort by the pilot.

There's a website called FlyingLikethePros.com with video tutorials on how to be more professional in your approach to flying. There are lessons on the use of iPads in flight, flying with the Garmin G1000 system in actual IFR, how to get extra help from ATC when you need it and more.

The one practical tip you should probably start with is to strive to be a smoother pilot. You can do this on your own or with an instructor, but either way concentrate on flying as though the CEO is in the back sipping his drink and your mission is to give him as comfortable a ride as possible.

Hope this helps with the taxi speed in the Legacy V2.

Regards,

Ray

I didn't know that to do that one has to have 24000 hours  LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I didn't know that to do that one has to have 24000 hours  LOL

Me neither .

Regards,

Ray

A rough guide would be something less than 10 knots for high speed taxi and maybe half that when turning or approaching a stop.

Holy cow. Are you serious. I bet you are. Ok, in that case I am not taxiing fast, I am trying to win the Indy 500 with my Legacy. Good grief. Ok, I will see what happens this evening when I try to stay below 10 kts. Specially curious if I can hold my temper.

Great story btw!!!