Sign in to follow this  
reecemj

Realair Legacy Release

Haven't had a chance to look at your checklist, currently at work, but the "alternator" switch is different that the "alternate air" source... the alternator switch is beside the battery master switch and keeps everything charged power wise...

Alternate air is as you describe and only used when there is a problem with the static air system.

At least that's how it is in the real plane, not sure what original checklist you were using.

Great plane!

Ah, ok, my bad! So I will leave the altenator in the list. :wink: I only have no clue where that alternator switch is... Do they mean the starter switch with it...? The alternator isn't mentioned at all in the flying guide... :unknw: I do see the Alt Air now, underneath the starter switch.  Oops LOL Never mind, the Alternator is the left red one beside the battery LOL I always thought both were battery,

Jeroen, the alternator is the left side of the big red toggle switch, with the right side being the battery... it's a split switch, so you can keep battery power without the alternator if needed due to problem etc.

When you click it you'll notice it's two separate sides.

Jeroen, the alternator is the left side of the big red toggle switch, with the right side being the battery... it's a split switch, so you can keep battery power without the alternator if needed due to problem etc.

When you click it you'll notice it's two separate sides.

Yes, I know. Now. See my edit above. :wink:

Just did a flight with my own checklist and even though it is based on the supplied one I think the order of a few things is a bit odd so I will change a few things. I will update it tomorrow after Ryan posted his comments.

Hi Rob

For the benefit of all of us could you explain how to set two throttle sliders for throttle and RPM please?

Thanks

Dean

Hi Dean, as the guide says there is no hard and fast rule. If you see max rpm of 2700 as a "low gear" for quick acceleration and climb that is similar to selecting a lower gear in a car, 2400 rpm represents a higher "gear" and is more suitable for cruise or possibly a gentle cruise climb. High power and low rpm (say 2200) puts strain on the engine because it cannot efficiently use the excess full being injected.

So a typical take off would be full power and 2700 rpm. Climb out could be say 2500 rpm and a slight reduction in power, or full power if you wish at 2700 rpm if you want to climb quickly. Cruise can be anywhere between 2200 and 2400 rpm. The conventional "squared" rpm vs power doesn't really apply to the turbo engine because the manifold pressure is so high compared to prop rpm.

There is a section in the guide about sensible engine management. There are links also to the copyrighted POH on the Lancair website as well as other useful links.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Rob

That information is VERY useful thanks.

What I was asking though was how to set the controller assignments of twin throttles to the two knobs.

Cheers. Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Rob

That information is VERY useful thanks.

What I was asking though was how to set the controller assignments of twin throttles to the two knobs.

Cheers. Dean

Ah I see. This is a Legacy V2 thread. The Legacy has one throttle control, not two. Maybe you mean the Duke? Or maybe you mean the throttle and prop control. I'm confused!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Sorry if I'm exploring this badly Rob

Legacy V2. Three knobs. Right one of which is mixture. Middle controls rpm. Left controls manifold pressure

My Joystick (Cyborg Fly 5) has two sliding independent throttle levers. I want one working left knob. And one working rpm knob.

I'll use mouse for mixture - when in cruise.

I thought it was an easy question!

Cheers Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

I posted this chart over in the FSX:SE forum then got to thinking the P3D guys may never look there.  This is quite revealing. We can fly the Turbo Legacy at 20,000 feet with the same power as the standard Legacy on takeoff roll at sea level.  Outstanding.

Regards,

Ray

MP Chart4a_1024.jpg

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

My Joystick (Cyborg Fly 5) has two sliding independent throttle levers. I want one working left knob. And one working rpm knob.

Map the left one to "Throttle" and the right one to "Prop".

Scott

Hmmmm, interesting... I do also wonder though how many RNAV or LPV approaches for Norway are available in the 2104 database that comes with the Flight1 unit.

Hi Jerome,

Just to let you know I was shooting RNAV approaches into ENNO Nottoden & ESDN Sandane over the weekend in the Turbo Duke in prep for some upcoming releases & they both worked fine. These are smaller airports & the only two I have looked at so far.

Had to use charts on my other monitor however the safe taxi maps were there in the unit.

The GNS750 really is a game changer, apart from using it as a GPS it's a terrific source for Nav/Comms info with the database on board.

Fits beautifully into the Real Air panels too.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Sorry if I'm exploring this badly Rob

Legacy V2. Three knobs. Right one of which is mixture. Middle controls rpm. Left controls manifold pressure

I'll use mouse for mixture - when in cruise.

I thought it was an easy question!

Cheers Dean

Only the left one is considered throttle, the middle is prop pitch (RPM.) Don't think of the prop pitch as another type of throttle because that's not at all how it works. :)

Thanks again! Here is a link (valid for a week) to a pdf of my personal 'checklist'. If some of you might want to look at it and tell me if it's okay, feel free to do so! (Or just download and use it. :wink: ). It is based on the checklist that comes with the RealAir Legacy and I have removed a few things you simply don't have to (or can't) do and I added some appropriate information I found elsewhere in the documentation (like take off flap settings etc.) I made sure everything fitted on one side of an A4 which makes it easy to print and keep nearby while flying or load on an iPad.

http://we.tl/WSfAo8s4ff

Here's my thoughts.  Most of the power stuff is from talking with Don Barnes, owner of N508DB via email a while back when the original legacy came out.

Also I presume you've seen this checklist at the Lancair site?

http://www.lancair.com/media/builderupdates/Legacy/legRG_POH_2008_WM.pdf    (page 25 and down)

JvELEG2checkRB.jpg

I'll just textually address the red markings starting top left and moving down then right:

Boost bump comes on (like a primer) for about 3 seconds prior to engine start and not on while during start

After engine start lean mixture (I do about 1/4)  to avoid spark plug fouling

During engine runup 2000 rpm.  Tough to do in the turbocharged version the brakes don't hold well...  1600 is fine there.

Initial Climb, 26" and 2600rpm at 140 KIAS is what Don uses - at 140 kias it keeps the airspeed up cooling the engine better.  You still get a great climb rate in the non turbocharged.

Cruise 24" / 2400rpm - with 50 lop below = best power

Mixture 50 deg Lean of peak( so pull mix back until peak temp then keep leaning til 50 more degrees)

Descent for throttle reduction about 1-2 " MP every minute, especially in the turbocharged version.  (speed brakes used a lot)

Initial approach Vle is 140 I believe (gear extension)

You can add first 10 deg of flap at 140 kias too

Final approach just a spelling error...should be THRESHOLD

After landing, landing lights OFF when exiting runway

Shut down, strobes/nav off only after engine is off.

I know I mentioned lighting earlier..  There's a few different thought processes of doing it just in the USA, but I wanted to add pilots typically turn on NAV lights at night as soon as the battery/alt is on.  If the aircraft is "energized" the nav lights would be on at night.  In the day I'd use strobes if you're about to crank the engine anyway.  If you're calling for clearance and it will be a while before you start (in other words you'll be drawing power from the battery alone I'd keep the lights off in the daytime until you're about to start).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

What's the compression ratio and is their any air charge cooling prior to combustion?  310 HP seems a tad low for that much forced induction, so I'm guessing compression must be very low (8.5:1).

Cheers, Rob.

Yes it should be 8.5:1 - i think all the IO550's are like that on the high performance singles

Not sure about your second question

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Garmin worldwide charts are available and do work with the GTN, they are just crazy expensive. You need to find a real world pilot that is also a flight simmer. Those rw GTN owners get a one-time update to all the worldwide charts. The files are huge but very workable.

Ray

Might be wrong, but I seem to recall there is a GTN PC trainer product through rw flight supply stores which also included full worldwide charts? was approx £25 IIRC

edit: http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Flight-Simulator-Commercial-and-Airliner-Add-ons-Garmin-GTN-Trainer-Full-Version-DVD+2817

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/pc-trainers/pc-trainer-for-the-gtn-series/prod95993.html

EDIT2: seems this is not needed anymore as the product page indicates the flight1 product comes with ww terrain data :)

Also re approaches in the unit, have a look at fsAerodata.com that might be really interesting in combo as its using rw Airac data in P3D?

Cheers. K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png