Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

I really want to see how are the training lessons on Flight School. I'm exited about this release.

Cheers :)

N.-

My 2 cents. I think we will see the real segmentation market based on the licenses and the eradication of the confusion between academic, professionnel and entertainement purpose.

As Mr. Mooser said, it will be good for everyone. My explaination : lower cost for the Producer, higher available revenu for Customer leading in an increase in sale.

Sorry for my English.

Michel

Same FSX engine, identical mesh, objects, rivers and airports  :nea:

Great post - do like the lighting DTG shot

Rich Sennett

Any new blood in the market is fine with me.

I think the flight school stuff is a really good idea and with it being stand alone and an earlier release, I hope a lot of people go through it. There are a ton of simmers out there, even those that fly the PMDG stuff, that actually have very little knowledge of actual flying and navigation. Things as simple as understanding a traffic pattern or how to react in an engine out situation are stuff pilots learn in the very beginning, yet many simmers jumped right into FMCs and auto-land and missed all that stuff. There's a lot of cool stuff for people to learn left out there.

With that said, those pronouncing this as ending P3D and heaping massive expectations on it may want to wait and see. From the screenshots and what I read in their statements, this is probably a recompiled and upgraded FSX vs. something ground breaking. There's also going to be the matter of just how open they are to 3rd part developers off steam. So we'll see.

Perhaps remaining with the FSX engine side, retains compatibility to some extent other than 64bit conversions. But the aircraft today for example are heavily modded to deal with all of FSXs flaws and limitations.

Anyone heard any comments from our 3PDs? What do they think of all this and how does it fit/affect their plans for future developments?

Its nice there is a new platform coming, but I still dont see how there would be premium addons by the time it gets released. Whos going to give up flying the NGX, 777, the buses , A2A stuff to go over to something default. Will take some time just like it did when prepar3d surfaced.

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

How's it unrealistic?

Mickeysoft is heavily pushing their "app store" in W10. Even the default picture and video program is one of those "apps".

Recently they announced that other first party games would be exclusive to the "app store", such as Quantum Break, Fable Legends, GoW, etc.

Also, you might want to read the title of the blog post... It says "coming to W10" not "coming to PC". What else could/would that mean?

I may be wrong but so far it's not a bad assumption...

Martin confirmed that it will be sold on Steam, as you would expect considering they already redistribute FSX on it, and their main business Train Sim, but also on the Windows Store

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Sounds like good 'ol Microsoft will restrict the simulator's distribution to the W10 "Windows Store", which is garbage, full of useless "apps" for phones.

Just yesterday, the developers of Quantum Break announced the same thing. Microsoft must be paying some good $$$$ for that.

It's funny since Phil Spencer promised that MS is not interested in competing with Steam, yet here they are, restricting your choice.

No, it will be on Steam too. Win32 applications can be hosted on the Windows Store as of some time in the first half of last year. I'm not sure Steam can even host UWP apps. http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/16/412446890550990408/#c412446890554935643

It has not been confirmed that it's Windows 10 exclusive. http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/16/412446890550990408/#c412446890553928094

Just because Microsoft is a business and they do what they think is in their best interest doesn't mean they instantly poison everything they touch. You know, it takes time. :P

Anyone heard any comments from our 3PDs? What do they think of all this and how does it fit/affect their plans for future developments?

Personally, my group (won't say who unless asked to avoid advertising) will support DTG Flight Simulator the day the SDK is released. It's exciting to have a simulator coming that will not only take advantage of modern hardware, but let us do more as developers. The FSX SDK is dated and can make development significantly more time consuming than it should be in some cases. For us, we already keep our code and related assets quite modular so that we can essentially plug-and-play into any new platforms that get released. Both Prepar3D and the knowledge that DTG was working on a new sim for the past couple years has been our motivation for developing the way we do.

Brandon Filer

Martin confirmed that it will be sold on Steam, as you would expect considering they already redistribute FSX on it, and their main business Train Sim, but also on the Windows Store

I think the big question is will DTG continue to allow external 3rd parties to develop and publish their own titles, or force them to use Steam, which many object to?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I think the big question is will DTG continue to allow external 3rd parties to develop and publish their own titles, or force them to use Steam, which many object to?

The answer imho is: watch what happened with Train Sim.

And on Train Sim there are free addons and also payware addons outside of Steam

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Great news! 64bit, DirectX11, yay! 

I think they're launching Flight School first to show off the new sim and to get people on board. The problem will be if

existing add-ons aren't compatible with the new sim. I don't even want to add up how much I've spent on FSX over

the years!

Hope my favourite devs at UK2000 can upgrade their airports to work with the new sim.

Having to start afresh with a blank canvas is something I'll live with if the new sim lives up to it's premise.

Happy landings peeps.

And being a Flight School based simulation, people willing to enter the hobby but affraid of finding it too complex, will have the chance to go through the learning process as they would IRL....

This is great!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

As Brandon says, a new and improved SDK would be one major area of improvement. They should just hire Arno, Jon and the rest of that bunch.

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

As pointed out, DTG Train Simulator allows 3rd party content to be installed, of any sort.  Trying to muck about manually in the TS file structure is rather complex, since it's kinda messy compared to our FS titles, but it's open to that extent.

However, I'm all for a Steam distribution method of buying and installing flight sim content. One click, done. Saves a lot of time and energy. Back in TS world, I have installed freeware and 3rd party payware from other sources, but the ease of managing such in Steam means that I generally stick to Steam for sourcing my addons.

I think this is something that's often overlooked - we might look at the various steps involved in acquiring and installing addons as second nature, but that level of involvement tends to be the domain of highly niche areas of enthusiasm these days.  The rest (and bulk) of the PC gaming world has become used to a smooth, clutter free, no hassle, method of gaming.

• Upvote 4

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I think this is something that's often overlooked - we might look at the various steps involved in acquiring and installing addons as second nature, but that level of involvement tends to be the domain of highly niche areas of enthusiasm these days.  The rest (and bulk) of the PC gaming world has become used to a smooth, clutter free, no hassle, method of gaming.

Amen.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5