Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight School & Flight Simulator

I`m in love with SIM so far... I see many progress on this new SIM. Work hard DT.

My%20Signature.jpg

Players who have

Good lord, Martin, don't anger the mob!

Will the handling of autogen be improved (no more popping up)?

Will there be shadows for everything (including clouds)?

Will 64 bit also mean we can expect a larger LOD?

P.S. Great idea to start this topic, Martin! It's VERY nice to see developers get into contact with the simmer this way! (Something some others failed to do...)

Good ideas and questions J. but spending 64bit space is probably like spending money, it soon goes. So I hope DTG put the brakes on and concider system usage very carefully least we be soon back in a similar position to how we have been with FSX in a 32bit system.

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

Good ideas and questions J. but spending 64bit space is probably like spending money, it soon goes. So I hope DTG put the brakes on and concider system usage very carefully least we be soon back in a similar position to how we have been with FSX in a 32bit system.

No, it doesn't work like that once you're into a 64-bit address space. It would be impossible to "run out" in 64-bits, because the theoretical limit is vast (like exabytes... look it up) and current OS's are only slowly supporting this vastly larger realm. It's a game-changer for things like scenery and deeper systems modeling that can actually take advantage of it. You can't load more data than the CPU and GPU can draw, but it's still just a huge amount of space to load data in.

Here are the limits for current versions of 64-bit Windows:

Windows 10 Enterprise  2TB  (that's 2 Terabyles, think about that)
Windows 10 Education   2TB
Windows 10 Pro             2TB
Windows 10 Home        128GB (still a whoppin' amount of RAM)

Now, we can't expect current flight sims to only support Windows 10. Here's what you can get in Windows 7:

Windows 7 Professional        192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium   16 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic         8 GB

That's why sims like X-Plane that have moved into 64-bits are not using the address space too aggressively. But you'll still need 16 GB for the high-def terrain mesh in X-Plane, and it's recommended to have 32 GB for the ultra-high def terrain for areas like the Grand Canyon.

It's the new frontier for flight sims. Don't knock it. Just study what the various new flight sims (and new versions of older flight sims) are able to do with it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It's the new frontier for flight sims. Don't knock it. Just study what the various new flight sims (and new versions of older flight sims) are able to do with it.

I take your point Paraffin and I don't knock the capability, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I have really stretched on a retired budget to get a $3000+ system and its the practical limits of 2-4Gb video cards or 16-32Gb of ram that I hope a free for all product development could soon fill up.

And with the physical limits you correctly mention and the cost per Gb we would soon be looking at a system cost of $30k onwards.

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

Another fellow loving the sim here. Mine has installed with maxed out settings and was running super smoothly in a little jaunt right through the middle of Toronto, Canada. Clearly Flight School is a sort of proof of concept, the infrastructure onto which the full sim will be loaded. Perusing the directories gives an interesting sense of where the sim has come from and where it's going (the Garmin 1000's in the gauges directory). I posted this on the Facebook page, but I'll repeat it here: I would be very interested in DTGFS/ORBX region-specific starter packs when the full sim comes out. I would be more than willing to drop $150 on such a package. And if a licensing deal with REX could be worked out, whoa daddy--such a package would be the beginning of the end of FSX.

Tim

Hi Martin,

I've been playing around with Flight School since it was released, and on the whole, I'm very happy with it.  :smile:

However, I've noticed that the game is still using the CPU to render buildings and traffic, just like FSX did.

This is a bit of an annoyance, as there is currently no CPU that exists (as far as I know) which would be able to produce consistently high framerates in a dense area like London.

So my question is, do you think it would be possible to render buildings and traffic using the GPU instead of the CPU further down the road (e.g. in DTG Flight Simulator)?

I'd imagine the performance gains would be tremendous if this could be done.

Thanks,

Jehan

With the new...

Congratulations to the DTG team Martin! :Star: :Star: :Star: :Star: :Star:

Controls  are very sensitive. Do I need to reset something??

Controls are easy so long as you've found to grab the right hand scroll bar where you see Calibration, pull it down until you can see Axis, the sensitivity settings and null zones are there.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi Martin!

Sorry for keeping you that busy, but am I right in assuming that the DA42 which we're gonna get for Flight School will be the Alabeo DA42 Twin Star v2, that was just released for FSX/P3D?

Best regards,

Dom

Nope that is not the one, like the other two aircraft in DTG Flight School the DA42 is a brand new model made by us. It is exclusive to DTG Flight School.

- Martin

Hi Martin!

Do you still plan to also release DTG Flight School via Microsoft Windows Store? If so, do you have a release date?

Oliver

Hello Martin,

do you (DTG) plan to give us feedback on the further improvement of of Flight School like bug fixing and feature implementation?

Scanning the forums and reviews it looks like there are few "hot" topics with the most wanted issues to be fixed or features requested.

Maybe it`s good to calm people down because then they are knowing that you are working on it (or not).

BR

Heimi

How do i adjust the graphics so that in daytime the sea is not a white shiny texture? Current settings are all on Ultra and Anisotropic and anti aliasing ticked to max. It appears almost the same if I switch off those 2 settings. The sea is just way too bright in daylight, but tones down obviously at dusk, but is still way too bright in my current set up.

Are you also reviewing the current darkness of the autogen and ground?

I'm not sure why Martin or DTG are avoiding the question, but to me, it is a go no go situation in continuing with either product. Are the SAITEK/MAD CAT instrument panels, i.e. Multi, radio and switch, going to be supported in the games? I have a healthy investment in these and will not give them up, 

I own a complete X-top panel with all Saitek panels + 9 FIPs and fully agree, However, I suppose this would require Saitek to participate in providing and disributing drivers. Given Saitek's present struggle for survival I doubt they care for FSc (or any other new Flight Simulator, if that matters).

SPAD.neXt would be an alternative, as it's Saitek-driver independent but requires a working Simconnect, which FSc doesn't provide either.

Thus my QUESTION: Would it possible to provide a working Simconnect at least for this purpose?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11