Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight School & Flight Simulator

I'm not sure why Martin or DTG are avoiding the question, but to me, it is a go no go situation in continuing with either product. Are the SAITEK/MAD CAT instrument panels, i.e. Multi, radio and switch, going to be supported in the games? I have a healthy investment in these and will not give them up, 

Hi Steve, I don't believe instrument panel interactions was a top priority for an introductory flight simulator. I suspect Martin doesn't have an answer for you yet otherwise he would have replied. Martin commented on a desire to look at developing their own solutions to remove the need for current third party hacks like FSUIPC and I'm sure when Martin has more information on this he will share this with the group.

• Upvote 1

I take your point Paraffin and I don't knock the capability, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I have really stretched on a retired budget to get a $3000+ system and its the practical limits of 2-4Gb video cards or 16-32Gb of ram that I hope a free for all product development could soon fill up.

And with the physical limits you correctly mention and the cost per Gb we would soon be looking at a system cost of $30k onwards.

Hi Antonvs, you should have a nice system for $3000!

Your reference to the 30K argument isn't quite right. 192GB memory shouldn't cost much more than a 1000 dollars and whatever memory configuration you have chosen I suspect it would be fairly economical to increase the memory in the future should you need it.

Don't worry about 64bit. Software companies have a long way to catch up before even say a 64GB memory system becomes necessary. Enjoy your new system. Happy flying.

Cheers,

Dave.

Don't worry about 64bit. Software companies have a long way to catch up before even say a 64GB memory system becomes necessary. 

It's necessary right now, if you want to use the high definition terrain mesh in X-Plane. It's even more necessary if you need the recommended 32 gigs of RAM to load the ultra-high def terrain mesh files. You also need the 64-bit version to use the extended dsf loader, which makes high res terrain tiles visible at much longer distances. The word straight from the developer:

"You will only be able to use this option in the 64-bit build of X-Plane.  The 32-bit version does not have enough memory."

It's not something in the future, it's here right now. We should be looking forward to DTG taking advantage of it, just like Laminar is with X-Plane.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hi Antonvs, you should have a nice system for $3000!

Your reference to the 30K argument isn't quite right. 192GB memory shouldn't cost much more than a 1000 dollars and whatever memory configuration you have chosen I suspect it would be fairly economical to increase the memory in the future should you need it.

Don't worry about 64bit. Software companies have a long way to catch up before even say a 64GB memory system becomes necessary. Enjoy your new system. Happy flying.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for your kind comments Dave. I guess regardless of the theory involved, the worrying issue is that even though the current release of FSc in 64bit is fairly light on scenery, systems and only two aircraft I and others have noted frame rates dropping to low 20's and staggering at times.

It raises the question for me what happens when the new full sim is loaded to the same extent that we currently have with either FSX or P3D. Just wondering I guess. By the same token I'm quietly confident (and hopeful) that as time goes on, DTG will refine their coding.

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

This is slightly OT, however I post it here as so many threads about this product are already in place.

Third upgrade released:

As part of our continued effort to provide the best possible flight simulation experience, we are pleased to announce the third update for Dovetail Games Flight School is now live. The change log is as follows:

1. Corrected tutorial text in the second LAPL lesson
2. Adjusted cameras in LAPL lesson one.
3. Fixed an issue where the “Flight of the Navigator” achievement was not unlocking.

If you have automatic Steam downloads enabled, your update will install automatically. The approximate download size of this update is around 15 MB

If you are experiencing any further issues, please contact our support team at http://shout.lt/bCzZ7

Fixed an issue where the “Flight of the Navigator” achievement was not unlocking

You mean there's a bonus silver spacecraft to collect that will enable the player to time travel? :blink: SOLD!

• Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Martin,

I've been playing around with Flight School since it was released, and on the whole, I'm very happy with it.  :smile:

However, I've noticed that the game is still using the CPU to render buildings and traffic, just like FSX did.

This is a bit of an annoyance, as there is currently no CPU that exists (as far as I know) which would be able to produce consistently high framerates in a dense area like London.

So my question is, do you think it would be possible to render buildings and traffic using the GPU instead of the CPU further down the road (e.g. in DTG Flight Simulator)?

I'd imagine the performance gains would be tremendous if this could be done.

Thanks,

Jehan

The CPU doesn't render anything. It issues the draw calls (using DirectX), and the GPU renders the scene based on what the CPU tells it to draw. So the GPU already does what you're asking. 

It's necessary right now, if you want to use the high definition terrain mesh in X-Plane. It's even more necessary if you need the recommended 32 gigs of RAM to load the ultra-high def terrain mesh files. You also need the 64-bit version to use the extended dsf loader, which makes high res terrain tiles visible at much longer distances. The word straight from the developer:

"You will only be able to use this option in the 64-bit build of X-Plane.  The 32-bit version does not have enough memory."

It's not something in the future, it's here right now. We should be looking forward to DTG taking advantage of it, just like Laminar is with X-Plane.

You've taken my words out of context. I was responding to the threat which a 64bit simulator could pose if the potential for it's memory capacity is realised which would increase demand to add more memory to a users PC system which on a moderate budget could be a significant problem.

How can I limit the FPS in Flight School?

To internally limit FPS you can set it in Fsc.cfg in your c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\dovetail games folder

Look for UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT and set the value you want

More info: http://steamcommunity.com/app/441920/discussions/0/364042703857867585/#c364042703859744955

Another way is to limit FPS via Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector

This video has some info on setting up an Nvidia Inspector profile:

Barry Friedman

The CPU doesn't render anything. It issues the draw calls (using DirectX), and the GPU renders the scene based on what the CPU tells it to draw. So the GPU already does what you're asking. 

Thanks for that info.

The problem is, performance is still being bottlenecked by the CPU. This makes it literally impossible to max out with a consistently good framerate. If they could somehow remove some of the load from the CPU and make the GPU do it instead, that'd be splendid.

Thanks for that info.

The problem is, performance is still being bottlenecked by the CPU. This makes it literally impossible to max out with a consistently good framerate. If they could somehow remove some of the load from the CPU and make the GPU do it instead, that'd be splendid.

Actually, I guess directx 12 Will be the better way to solve this.

Actually, I guess directx 12 Will be the better way to solve this.

The problem there is that DX12 is Win10 only and excludes a pretty large majority of the potential market both for Flight School and, much more to the point, Flight Simulator. Somewhat further up the thread DTG Martin specifically said this was why DTG went with DX11.

Give people power to really test their personality.

Not a problem really. Just a sign of the times that new software is optimised for new operating systems (& hardware).

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...