Sign in to follow this  
tarere

Prepar3D v3.2 is out !

Quick question about the content and scenery msi's. They are very small but the uninstall shows in gigabytes. I know that is the scenery itself but I just wanted to make sure that I did not need all the individual scenery files from the p3d site in order to run these.

Bob

You need all of the files - the exe's draw off of those zip files with the content in them - very important

The other entries are Content, Professional and Scenery.

The other two if you want to if you wish - I suggest you do would be Content and Scenery

Why wouldnt you want a complete update

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

The other two if you want to if you wish - I suggest you do would be Content and Scenery

OK, but I still wonder what that will give me that I didn't already get doing it the way LM recommends?

Richard Åsberg

OK, but I still wonder what that will give me that I didn't already get doing it the way LM recommends?

LM recommends the most error free process for general users - but LM P3D users are Pros so anyway dont worry takes no time to do - beats anew install thats for sure - big difference from the old days - only a few things to worry about now which I have stated

This video was just posted might help others - I have not viewed it - assuming it will help

Rich Sennett

The problem with FPS numbers is that you cannot always tell how well the Sim runs purely by FPS

Well, that's why you use frame times! FRAPS does this.

But seriously, I would like to see the data too.

Rob and others here, I don't think (speaking for myself and apparently some others on here, too) that it's so much a matter of being negative about the updates, it's more a matter of wanting to fly more and tinker less.  Of course, the obvious answer to that is "Well, just don't update, stay where you are."  The problem with that is, at least in my case, that I actually would like to keep up with the Jones', but to do that seems like a non-stop continuous battle sometimes.  I'm still trying to get things sorted with 3.1 and now I'm looking at maybe starting the whole mess over again to go to 3.2.

For me,  a large part of it is the timing.  Developers, more often than not, I think, have legitimate issues with keeping up. That makes it frustrating for the consumer.  To me it seems like there is a significant shortage of aircraft out there ready for P3D v3 and it has been out for about 6 months.  Just with version 3 alone I'm having trouble getting current and accurate data from websites about which versions of their products are "really" ready for P3D and for which version of P3D.  I buy stuff based on what I think is good info to later find that I have to do this or that to make it work.  There often seems to be so many "ifs, ands, and buts" with this that it wears me down to where I almost want to say to heck with it and leave the hobby, which I did do several years ago largely for that reason.  I think that is also the reason the number of people in the hobby has declined from what it was before.  They felt like they needed to be a computer programmer just to get make the program work to a reasonably acceptable level.   I really do love the flight-simming and I guess that's why I keep trudging onward with the help of a lot of great people on here and other forums.

I think some people actually do enjoy the nitty-gritty part of the hobby which is the testing and figuring out programming changes to make to the programs.  Others buy the programs wanting and expecting them to work "out of the box" and when that doesn't happen a lot they just get frustrated. Myself, having somewhat of an engineering background, am somewhere in the middle on that.   I know we all used to get tired of waiting through the 2-year period it would take for MS to come out with the next version of FS, but maybe there was some good in that.  It at least gave time for things to settle some before having to cope with the next set of problems with the new version.

Just my unsolicted .02 worth.

Jeff

I wonder where the "set it and forget it" people sit in the grand scheme of things.  I have always had that mentality with flight sims.  I always wanted to install, set it, and fly.  Flight sims have become more and more complicated with obvious and not-so-obvious settings.  being a current v3.1 user, I am apprehensive with upgrading, no matter what the consensus states, because as it goes with upgrades, there's going to be the likelihood of something breaking or something that isn't up to speed yet and that alone brings the enjoyment of simming to a halt until the issues are fixed.  I'm playing it safe right now until the smoke clears, and not out of spite, but basically due to the fact that everything I have running is running fine.  Things that aren't, I've been used to for so long now (ex. microstutters) and I just keep flying and look beyond those imperfections or gremlins that will never get resolved.  I came to the realization that until I make the jump to 64-bit simming, I have to take the good with the bad.

Chasing dragons and collecting fairy dust along the way to achieve a super-smooth perfect flight sim experience doesn't fit into reality for me.  My budget doesn't allow for screaming, hydrogen-cooled super computers so I remain thankful for what I have and the fact that the sim actually works.  If I stare at one point on my screen long enough, I'll find errors and imperfections....something I suspect some people do here and when they find a stutter or a pixel out of place, they freak.  Nothing will take the place of real flying so I accept what I have and enjoy it as best I can.  I know there was a discussion here not long ago where someone posed the question of what was more important, a pretty environment rendering on your screen or sitting at the sim and actually learning to fly or perhaps honing your skills to be a better pilot.

I choose to be the pilot first, everything else comes as a bonus.

-Jim

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

You need all of the files - the exe's draw off of those zip files with the content in them - very important

The other two if you want to if you wish - I suggest you do would be Content and 

Scenery

Why wouldnt you want a complete update

I read that some here did just the client first, which I did. So really the only advantage of doing the client, scenery and content is that you can keep all of your other installs. I have to download almost the same bytes as a complete install. But still and advantage.

Bob

LM recommends the most error free process for general users - but LM P3D users are Pros so anyway dont worry takes no time to do - beats anew install thats for sure - big difference from the old days - only a few things to worry about now which I have stated

This video was just posted might help others - I have not viewed it - assuming it will help

Will check out the movie, maybe that will actually answer my question :wink:

Richard Åsberg

LM recommends the most error free process for general users

I thought we need to do only "client" uninstall and reinstall.

what is in "content"? what would that mess up and what is the added value with "content" update?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Umm - says who? It's an option - if you like it use it, if not - pass. But there is NO reason for it to be OFF ALWAYS unless it's a personal choice.

FWIW, I don't like it myself, I find the gauges not as sharp for my old eyes but the screenies look beautiful.

As with any other setting in P3D - it is optional, depending on YOUR personal preferences.

Vic

So, are we suppose to update the "Client" only, or which ones? if I choose to update this or other components, do we need to reinstall add ons ?

I wonder where the "set it and forget it" people sit in the grand scheme of things.  I have always had that mentality with flight sims.  I always wanted to install, set it, and fly.  Flight sims have become more and more complicated with obvious and not-so-obvious settings.  being a current v3.1 user, I am apprehensive with upgrading, no matter what the consensus states, because as it goes with upgrades, there's going to be the likelihood of something breaking or something that isn't up to speed yet and that alone brings the enjoyment of simming to a halt until the issues are fixed.  I'm playing it safe right now until the smoke clears, and not out of spite, but basically due to the fact that everything I have running is running fine.  Things that aren't, I've been used to for so long now (ex. microstutters) and I just keep flying and look beyond those imperfections or gremlins that will never get resolved.  I came to the realization that until I make the jump to 64-bit simming, I have to take the good with the bad.

Chasing dragons and collecting fairy dust along the way to achieve a super-smooth perfect flight sim experience doesn't fit into reality for me.  My budget doesn't allow for screaming, hydrogen-cooled super computers so I remain thankful for what I have and the fact that the sim actually works.  If I stare at one point on my screen long enough, I'll find errors and imperfections....something I suspect some people do here and when they find a stutter or a pixel out of place, they freak.  Nothing will take the place of real flying so I accept what I have and enjoy it as best I can.  I know there was a discussion here not long ago where someone posed the question of what was more important, a pretty environment rendering on your screen or sitting at the sim and actually learning to fly or perhaps honing your skills to be a better pilot.

I choose to be the pilot first, everything else comes as a bonus.

-Jim

Since installing V3.1, I have had intermittant CTDs with Nttdll.dll mentioned in almost everyone. These happen about every 4 days to a week, and I average almost 2 flights a day, so this is hard to pin down. I finally made two minor changes and it appears that one of the two changes or  the combination of the 2 has solved my problem. It will probably take me another couple of weeks of flying, to figure out if one of these changes was the culprit or the combination of the two. While all this was all going on and P3D was beginning to feel like FSX as far as stability, I was starting to feel like I did when I quit FSX years ago when I just got tired of fixing rather than flying. I am a pilot both in real life and on sims and love to fly I don't enjoying hunting down software bugs. 

As of now, I have 3.1 running perfectly, good FPS, smooth as silk, and no stutters, and all my add ons are working perfectly. The thought of rocking the boat by changing the core part of the sim, and winding up with another yet another issue or issues  to troubleshoot is not something that I look forward to. I will wait a couple of weeks to see how all this plays out as I did with version 3 and 3.1, and then think about possibly installing 3.2  Not in any any big rush to get another headache. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Guest JustanotherPilot

For those unsure and hesitant to on how to update, this video made for the v3.1 update should work with v3.2 update.

Hmmm well the last update v3.1 we were told if you didn't want to reinstall all your addons to just do the client install. Hence why everyone is probably asking that question.

But from what I've read today if you have GSX you will need to install Content as well to see the popup menu but not before you backup autogen? and Effects folders.

Is this kind of where we are at right now?

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I thought we need to do only "client" uninstall and reinstall.

what is in "content"? what would that mess up and what is the added value with "content" update?

Read this thread will answer your question

http://www.avsim.com/topic/484828-p3d-v32-sode-or-gsx-update-information/#entry3385352

Rich Sennett

Multicrew Experience and EZDOK (with TrackIR) also work

Thanks for feedback. Appreciate

These updates coming left, right and centre at a frightening pace mean almost no holidays for us.

Very pleased to hear this missile missed the target  :crazy:

So, are we suppose to update the "Client" only, or which ones? if I choose to update this or other components, do we need to reinstall add ons ?

I uninstalled and reinstalled client, scenery, and content. Orbx global was the only reinstall, as it replaces textures in your p3d/scenery folders, and maybe elswhere within the root p3d folder. All other 3rd party sceneries ok, aircraft addons ok. I also had to reinstall my environment theme textures in REX and my HD moon textures. That is all. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor