Sign in to follow this  
300hp.GT

CJ2 First Impressions

Hello Scott,

Best Regards,

Ray

Excellent news Ray I did mention this was a very nice bird - glad you have backed that up :wink:  

Rich Sennett

The visual model is typical Carenado... and it is rather frame rate friendly.

I only wish they had chosen to do the CJ2+ instead of the CJ2... newer Collins radio heads and a cleaner panel had they done so.

Yep, me too. But Carenado uses real world models and this one was a CJ2 (and an early model at that). The last half of the CJ2s had two individual radio heads and usually a stand alone GPS and transponder which made a better panel also. (Looks like a CJ1+ or an early CJ3)

The CJ2+ has a lot tighter ProLine 21 integration than the basic CJ2 and more umph in the engines and has fadec - no paddles. Almost all the performance numbers are better with the CJ2+ vs the CJ2. Almost like two different planes. CJ2+ also cleaned up the air flow over the wheel wells and changed the fuel tanks.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Hi Ray,

Thanks so much for the detailed response - I may have to break my "No Carenado" rule for this one... It sounds like you're intimately familiar with biz jets and a talented painter to boot... I liked their 550 (prefer less glass models) as well but the fact the FMC didn't do airways was a deal breaker - pleasantly surprised it's been rectified with this model... Hah - as for performance - I've found that manufacturers in the SEL prop market are sometimes wildly optimistic on their aircrafts performance - LOL - I've heard the sales guys write the spec when making the brochure...

I think you've sold me - much appreciated - sir...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Ray,

Thanks so much for the detailed response - I may have to break my "No Carenado" rule for this one... It sounds like you're intimately familiar with biz jets and a talented painter to boot... I liked their 550 (prefer less glass models) as well but the fact the FMC didn't do airways was a deal breaker - pleasantly surprised it's been rectified with this model... Hah - as for performance - I've found that manufacturers in the SEL prop market are sometimes wildly optimistic on their aircrafts performance - LOL - I've heard the sales guys write the spec when making the brochure...

I think you've sold me - much appreciated - sir...

Regards,

Scott

Hello Scott,

I think anyone could be happy with this one providing you keep in mind that it is a <$40 add on. I personally am very happy with it and the few gremlins will get fixed either by Carenado or by the community. This one will take a little longer to get the special fixes for the GTN and AP that Bert has been doing. It is mostly just not the best timing but, I am hopeful that we will eventually get a good one.

The lack of documentation is an ongoing Carenado weakness but we can usually find the info online or someone steps up with a pdf that we can use. I have most of the Flight Safety Manuals including this one.

Regards,

Ray

I initially thought the cruise speeds were low but I think it might just be that my throttles are not putting out 100% (My max output is 97%). When I move the throttles to full power with my mouse or use F4 for 100% the cruise speed is almost book speed.

I have the same issue with the throttle, not sure what they did here but if I hold my throttle lever fully forward with force I can usually get more speed out of it and an accompanying jolt in the dynamic head movement. Throttle range seems mostly "crammed" into the upper 5% of my joystick throttle movement, never seen that before on any other airplane. Be careful pulling the power off, you could smack your head on the dash if you're not hanging on. Joystick throttle movement between 100% and 99% feels like the equivalent of deploying a drogue chute! :smile:

I have the same issue with the throttle, not sure what they did here but if I hold my throttle lever fully forward with force I can usually get more speed out of it and an accompanying jolt in the dynamic head movement. Throttle range seems mostly "crammed" into the upper 5% of my joystick throttle movement, never seen that before on any other airplane. Be careful pulling the power off, you could smack your head on the dash if you're not hanging on. Joystick throttle movement between 100% and 99% feels like the equivalent of deploying a drogue chute! :smile:

Crazy stuff - this flight simulation business.

Ray

"Throttle range seems mostly "crammed" into the upper 5% of my joystick throttle movement,"

I see a smooth increase or decrease in throttle using TO, CLB and CRZ limit selcections.

How are you testing?

Like on a standard day or e.g. a Wx program running?

A screnshot of you gauges would help.

Maybe I could try the same and see what I get.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

"Throttle range seems mostly "crammed" into the upper 5% of my joystick throttle movement,"

I see a smooth increase or decrease in throttle using TO, CLB and CRZ limit selcections.

How are you testing?

Like on a standard day or e.g. a Wx program running?

A screnshot of you gauges would help.

Maybe I could try the same and see what I get.

I experience the same dramatic lunging when reducing throttle from full. So there is something wonky there. 

What are the TO, CLB and CRZ selections you're referring to? This plane doesn't have FADEC so it should just be straight throttle. 

Eddie
KABQ

"What are the TO, CLB and CRZ selections you're referring to? This plane doesn't have FADEC so it should just be straight throttle. "

Correct, I set the throttles.

Climbref_zpsuztcree6.jpg

Best Regards,

Can anyone that has the CJ2 and Embraer 300 give their opinion on which aircraft they prefer? I'm trying to decide which aircraft to get. FPS, correct functionality of the systems modeled, and performance close to the numbers are important to me. Thanks

"What are the TO, CLB and CRZ selections you're referring to? This plane doesn't have FADEC so it should just be straight throttle. "

Correct, I set the throttles.

Ah, I saw that but it seems to have no effect on the actual N1. Also have found that, if you set to those values manually, the plane will not perform to the manual. The only way I can get the rated cruise numbers is wide-open throttle the whole flight. If I selected 95% I'd be creeping! 

Eddie
KABQ

"if you set to those values manually, the plane will not perform to the manual."

I am only just starting to test and I have not set out to check actual numbers yet.

Of the departures (VOR NAVs / intercepts and some FMS flight plan (SID) departures I have done (setting up FSUIPC buttons etc) it has been a very nice ride ...

I like it a lot. Both in FSX and P3Dv3.1.

I just now set SAITEK buttons to take care of the vertical speed wheel (V/S) inc/dec which makes life much better during climbs. Do not have to look for the V/S wheel .. nor click on it!

Carenado CJ2 is a very nice ride indeed!

Best Regards,

I think those 3 numbers are way off the mark, Right click and you can see the temp that the numbers are based on. 15 Deg C all the time. The real unit is a computer that computes the 3 N values constantly and is very useful.

Ray

Can anyone that has the CJ2 and Embraer 300 give their opinion on which aircraft they prefer? I'm trying to decide which aircraft to get. FPS, correct functionality of the systems modeled, and performance close to the numbers are important to me. Thanks

Did you read the Avsim review for the Phenom 300? G1000 vs Proline 21 - hard to compare. Phenom is much faster. I like both, but only when the GTN is added.

Regards,

Ray

"I think those 3 numbers are way off the mark, Right click and you can see the temp that the numbers are based on. 15 Deg C all the time."

The temp was default 15C .. not using Wx program for testing now.

I just seen the gauge and figured I would give it a try and see what happens ... no problem.

And I have not yet had any throttle problems.

All very smooth so far.

Best Regards,