Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

Anyone Using PilotEdge?

When it works, MultiCrew Experience is fun for VFR stuff, but it's inconsistent on my build. And I've looked into VATSIM but the coverage is pretty sparse when I want to fly. So I'm thinking of giving PilotEdge a shot, and wondered who's using it and what that experience has been like for you. Many thanks in advance.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

There is a two week free trial... So, you better get your own conclusions!

Almost everybody will agree that it's the best ATC service for the time being!

Cheers :)

N.-

I've been on Pilotedge 8 months and love it. I passed v1 to v3 and i1 to i11 exams and learned a lot.

The quality of the system and controllers is first class.

When I can't fly online I practice in Socal area ready for the next real Pilotedge 'adventure'.

It's challenging but the discipline of someone watching my progress, navigation and altitude etc has improved my flying significantly.

It is 100% realistic compared to live ATC. Give it a try with the trial 2 weeks.

Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

To add to what I said in your other thread. Yes PilotEdge could be very valuable with you getting comfortable with using the radios. The big difference for me with PilotEdge vs. ATC programs is that you have to actually think about what to say. Who you are, where you are, and what you want to do. This includes for example knowing where you are when you call the tower instead of just pressing a button that says it for you. Even in a VFR situation you’ll get things that you don’t get with ATC programs for example 45 degree pattern entry, reporting X mile final, and being cleared for the option.

Brian W

KPAE

In 35 years of flight simming PilotEdge is the best add-on I have ever used. It's costly and has a limited coverage area, but they are obviously focused on quality over quantity and they absolutely deliver in that regard.

In addition to the two-week trail there are also a plethora of YouTube videos if you want to get a feel for what the service is like. In particular I found the videos of Mark Hargrove very helpful when preparing for some of the ratings flights. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzq87NHKgAK2nRjgCWZ4IjQ

Does it simulate VHF transmissions yet, or does it still sound like Teamspeak?

PilotEdge is not a radio simulator, its focus is on learning and practicing real-world ATC procedures. If pretend radio static is a requirement of yours then PilotEdge is probably not the right choice for you.

PilotEdge is not a radio simulator, its focus is on learning and practicing real-world ATC procedures. If pretend radio static is a requirement of yours then PilotEdge is probably not the right choice for you.

Your tone seems a little condescending. I am a Vatsim controller for ZLA, used PE for a while and am now in the FAA to become a controller. "Radio static" is not what I was implying. I was simply asking if they implemented it yet. Keith Smith is a friend of mine and last I heard he had plans to add it Wing. Excuse my question. But having it sound correct adds to the overall realism which in the end is what we are all after. 

• Upvote 1

"Radio static" is not what I was implying. I was simply asking if they implemented it yet. Keith Smith is a friend of mine and last I heard he had plans to add it Wing.

That'd be cool.  As a RW pilot, it kinda bugged me that it sounded so...clear?

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I just spent some time listening in. It sounds great. It'll help me get over mike fright, that's for sure.

Why are you afraid of Mike. What did he ever do to you?  :wink:

Your tone seems a little condescending. I am a Vatsim controller for ZLA, used PE for a while and am now in the FAA to become a controller. "Radio static" is not what I was implying. I was simply asking if they implemented it yet. Keith Smith is a friend of mine and last I heard he had plans to add it Wing. Excuse my question. But having it sound correct adds to the overall realism which in the end is what we are all after. 

I'm guessing if Keith is a friend of yours you could/would already have your answer.

Sadly I don't have much free time any more to do many things I enjoy in the world of sims on the PC. Keith is tremendously busy, promoting and handling PR and expansion for his business. I feel I already know the answer anyways, I would rather let the community answer and let him focus on what he is doing so well on already. 

That'd be cool. As a RW pilot, it kinda bugged me that it sounded so...clear?

As another RW pilot - I concur with Greg - it kind of bothered me as well - while I might use PE for some light practice - I'd still like the radio - to sound like a radio... Listening to the demo radio sound was a bit of a turn off and probably played a part in me not trying the demo...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Clear sound is great for us, the Non-english speakers :)

• Upvote 1

Cheers :)

N.-

As a non-pilot who listens to LiveATC more than I would casually admit to my friends, I would have to say that while I applaud the desire to have PilotEdge sound like the real thing, if I were just starting off learning, I would definitely appreciate the 'crystal-clear' voices! :wink:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Your tone seems a little condescending. I am a Vatsim controller for ZLA, used PE for a while and am now in the FAA to become a controller. "Radio static" is not what I was implying. I was simply asking if they implemented it yet. Keith Smith is a friend of mine and last I heard he had plans to add it Wing. Excuse my question.

I've heard people use add-on programs that add static and distortion to their transmission and frankly I find them annoying, unrealistic, and silly. I don't know how the PilotEdge controllers feel about them, but considering they're trying to wear many hats and juggle multiple aircraft with pilots of widely varying skill levels in the air and on the ground in a large coverage area, some guy coming on deliberately trying to make himself more difficult to understand because he thinks it makes him sound cool is probably not appreciated.

Sadly I don't have much free time any more to do many things I enjoy in the world of sims on the PC. Keith is tremendously busy, promoting and handling PR and expansion for his business. I feel I already know the answer anyways, I would rather let the community answer and let him focus on what he is doing so well on already.

In the time it took you to type the couple of messages you could have listened to some recent PilotEdge audio: http://www.pilotedge.net/audio/today The PilotEdge audio archives are nice because they automatically edit out the dead air.

I also want to mention, Keith is very active on the PilotEdge forums. That's another thing that impresses me about PilotEdge, the founder of the company is an active participant in the community and very accessible.