Sign in to follow this  
ASharpEdge

No instructions in tutorial? Huh?

Ok then, did anyone happen to notice that there are no instructions in the tutorial? The tutorial starts out saying "ok, go to full power!"...And i'm like ok how do I do that? Where are the instructions for the tutorial. hahaha this is just absolutely crazy. I have always had a very keen eye to seeing flaws in products and this one is a HUGE DOOSEY!!!!

I thought tutorials were supposed to help acclimate the user to the controls/buttons that make the software work......

I think that in the effort to make this as real as possible the devs thought that adding that information in the tutorial would lessen it's realism. 

Well great job!!! You have made it just like a real plane.....NOT USER FRIENDLY!

I am pretty certain my refund request will go through....Just a waste of bandwidth that I cannot get back.

NEVER HAVE EXPERTS WRITE INSTRUCTIONS......THEY CAN NEVER REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO BE A BEGINNER and therefore CANNOT TEACH!!!

• Upvote 3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

With all dure respect, it's a $15 game.

Did the tutorials in FS9 & FSX give instructions that meet your approval, or did you demand refunds there as well?

• Upvote 1

I also wondered about the difficulty of finding the basic sim operation instructions (ie. not how to fly, but how to operate the simulator itself)

There is a PDF manual included with the product, but no Help button in the game to bring it up. You need to know to look in the steam folder, or open the steam application and there's a "Manual" link in the library. Why in the world would you not put a Help button in the game?

FSX includes tutorial missions that describe the basic keyboard shortcuts and also "getting started" instructions in the learning center. A new install of FSX takes you to a welcome movie that then directs you to go try the tutorials. This is separate from the FSX flying school itself.

So I do think FSX has more guidance for the beginner than Flight School

The GUI itself is not perfect either. Many of the command icons are at top or bottom left of the screen, while the help tips appear at the bottom right. It would be difficult to get the helpful prompts any further away from where the user's attention is focused.

I like the product and the potential of where DTG may go with it but there's also plenty of room for improvement.

• Upvote 2

There is a PDF manual included with the product, but no Help button in the game to bring it up. You need to know to look in the steam folder, or open the steam application and there's a "Manual" link in the library. Why in the world would you not put a Help button in the game?

If DTG can be blamed for dropping the ball anywhere then not pointing users to the manual has to be right at the top of the list.

I don't own this, but I watched some videos on YouTube. Doesn't it show what keys to use in red text at the top of the screen? I saw this when it asked to raise the flaps

I don't own this, but I watched some videos on YouTube. Doesn't it show what keys to use in red text at the top of the screen? I saw this when it asked to raise the flaps

Yes there are flying tips that pop up if the game thinks you're forgetting something. This is the same as in FSX. I always forget about this feature because turning it off is one of the first things I do during setup, but yes that may be helpful for the beginner.

Jumping straight into the flying lessons may not be the best idea. I did some free flights to make sure my controls were working and the sim was running smoothly before trying the lessons. I think that's why FSX has the tutorial missions and suggests beginners start with those.

Barry, I did the same thing. I flew a half-dozen or so free flights while setting up and calibrating my CH Yoke, rudder pedals, and all the buttons and rockers per my usual scheme.

By doing this, I was able to breeze through the first lessons. Okay, I had to repeat two of 'em but nailed 'em on the second attempt. :dance:

Did the tutorials in FS9 & FSX give instructions that meet your approval, or did you demand refunds there as well?

.....I have never played FS9 or FSX so I could not tell you that. You kinda made my point....You obviously have used other flying sims and used this one so I do not think you really have any say in this question at all. You are an experienced person who has forgot what it was like to start out knowing nothing.

No, there are no pop ups in red text to show you what keys to press in the tutorials.

Look here if you do not believe me --->> 

If they are in the game somewhere else then I think someone put them in the wrong place. The tutorial is DEFINITELY where that type of help should be. If it is also in another part of the game that is fine but a MUST HAVE IN THE TUTORIAL. 

Yes there are flying tips that pop up if the game thinks you're forgetting something. This is the same as in FSX. I always forget about this feature because turning it off is one of the first things I do during setup, but yes that may be helpful for the beginner.

Jumping straight into the flying lessons may not be the best idea. I did some free flights to make sure my controls were working and the sim was running smoothly before trying the lessons. I think that's why FSX has the tutorial missions and suggests beginners start with those.

No, there are no pop ups at all in the tutorial....(SEE ABOVE LINK)

Gee so proud of you that you one of the first things you do is to turn off this feature you are speaking of...

YOU ARE AN EXPERT AND HAVE NO BUSINESS ANSWERING THIS QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee so proud of you that you one of the first things you do is to turn off this feature you are speaking of...
YOU ARE AN EXPERT AND HAVE NO BUSINESS ANSWERING THIS QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was responding to someone else's post when I wrote that.

With your attitude I doubt you'll make much progress in flight simming, nor will members here feel inclined to help you, so it's probably just as well you're getting a refund.

Well they are selling this as a beginners learning how to fly sim and I will have to agree with the OP.
  • Upvote 2

No, there are no pop ups at all in the tutorial....(SEE ABOVE LINK)

Okay, chosen screen name notwithstanding, such a "sharp edge" to your posts is not welcome. Please try to be less confrontational and polite.

With that out of the way, I have to agree with your observation regarding the total lack of on-screen help, and especially the fact that DTGFS does not provide any on screen notification that one must look in thus-and-so folder to find the bloody documentation!

At the very least, there should be a HELP tab on the top level menu with a list of keyboard shortcuts that will be required for each lesson.

For example:

How on earth is a totally new user supposed to know that the F1, F2, F3, and F4 keys control the throttle?

At the very least, there should be a HELP tab on the top level menu with a list of keyboard shortcuts that will be required for each lesson.

For example:

How on earth is a totally new user supposed to know that the F1, F2, F3, and F4 keys control the throttle?

I also find the settings a bit mysterious:

For instance, what exactly do the various levels of the "Graphics" settings control?

How about "aircraft?" What exactly changes and to what degree when you change those settings?

Scenery?

Weather? In Flight school, what are you controlling? Coverage? Range? Both together?

Traffic? Is all traffic controlled by the one slider? Boats and cars? Are there Boats?

A little help? Why aren't there tooltips?

There is a rushed vibe I'm getting from Flight School. Like they ran out of time.  :unknw:

How do I make an informed choice about what settings I might want to alter for smoothness sake, if I'm not exactly sure what they do in Flight School, and to what degree?

• Upvote 1

Okay, chosen screen name notwithstanding, such a "sharp edge" to your posts is not welcome.

I was a sheet metal worker for 18 years.....Sheet metal has a sharp edge.......Thus the username "A Sharp Edge"

I try and be nice but it seems there is always some people who have to push back and go against what you are trying to say....Like the second post for example right off the bat.

I am happy to see I am not the only one who thinks there should be a tutorial in the tutorial.....I'd say 80% of the people agree. 

I agree with the OP and found the product to be very poorly supported by instructional features.  There definitely should be more information about minimum system requirements since this new sim is much more demanding than the Steam version of FSX.  I requested a refund at the end of my first day with it (which hasn't been paid, by the way).  I should have known what I was getting into from the aggregate score of the reviewers, which was almost evenly divided between thumbs up and down.  I would have to conclude that there would be zero chance of my buying the full version when it is released.  How successful do you think a product will be when they have disqualified a big chunk of their potential market before it even hits the shelves?  A smart businessman would probably pull the plug right now.  Did they learn nothing from their predecessors?

Guys, chill... It's only a $15 game. Very confusing to me that well established simmers are getting FlightSchool & giving such major moans for it. Leave it to the newbies & DTG's target market. Get over it, it's NOT meant for us. 

Guys, chill... It's only a $15 game. Very confusing to me that well established simmers are getting FlightSchool & giving such major moans for it. Leave it to the newbies & DTG's target market. Get over it, it's NOT meant for us. 

Right now, it's only $11.99  :spiteful:

With all due respect Robin, saying that "It's not meant for us" is a little after the fact, isn't it?  Wasn't it the folks of DTG who came to AVSIM to listen to us and ask for input and feedback?  Someone is contradicting themselves, but I can't quite put my finger on it.  If DTG didn't want our feedback, why did they open up a thread?  If it wasn't meant for us, why are we discussing it? 

I am an adult who still eats kids cereal.

I still chew bubble gum which is meant for kids.

There are countless adults around the world building with Legos.

I could go on, but my point is, if DTG has the intention of building a flight simulator properly, why not appeal to those with the experience of flying them, right?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just pointing out the obvious.

Even if there are a large cross section of users of DTG FS who are complaining, it's still feedback, and if DTG really does care about Flight School's longevity, they'll consider every piece of feedback they get.  Now, it's just a matter of whether or not they listen.

Okay, chosen screen name notwithstanding, such a "sharp edge" to your posts is not welcome. Please try to be less confrontational and polite.

With that out of the way, I have to agree with your observation regarding the total lack of on-screen help, and especially the fact that DTGFS does not provide any on screen notification that one must look in thus-and-so folder to find the bloody documentation!

For example:

Pardon my slight ignorance here, but I've been getting a little more curious about FS and whether to grab it at it's low, low price point right now.  With regards to tutorials, doesn't FS have a "getting to know the cockpit" type tutorial for each aircraft?  I think THAT would be awesome in itself.  While I am a bit more experienced than what FS requires, jumping from aircraft to aircraft, controls, dials, switches do tend to be positioned in different places in the cockpit, so that can lend credence to having a tutorial that provides some initial familiarity.

Say for instance, you jump into the Cherokee, which is a big step up from the Cub.  If there was tutorial that started off with "welcome to the Piper Cherokee.  This is a little more advanced than the Cub, so let's get familiar with where the controls are and how they function...".  

A statement like that at the beginning can allay any fears from the users, and make it more comfortable during the learning process.  On-screen prompts would be nice, even going as far as to stating which key or control button should be used during the training, because this is training we're discussing.  A PDF is nice to have, but if you have to fiddle with printed sheets while in the air, it's a bit distracting, or even with the multiple screen users, having to look away can be a distraction.

I recall not long ago, while flying some other aircraft in my sim, such as the King Air, there are quite a few switches on the panels and I can remember saying to myself "where the heck is XX switch at!"  I got frustrated, started panning around...pretty annoying.  I don't think I ever did find that switch.

With all due respect Robin, saying that "It's not meant for us" is a little after the fact, isn't it?

I could go on, but my point is, if DTG has the intention of building a flight simulator properly, why not appeal to those with the experience of flying them, right?

Dovetail has previously explained:

We wanted to create an experience which makes flight simming accessible to anyone who wants to try it. Doing this as a standalone release allows us to focus on tailoring the experience more at these players. DTG Flight School was never developed or intended for existing flight simmers.

Flight School is a "downgraded" simulator. Why?

DTG Flight School is focused on breaking down the idea that flight simulation is too hard to get into.

We have learned that flight simulation appeals to an incredible amount of people, but a lot of them find it too hard to get started with. It is our aim to reclaim and attract those would-be simmers, but in order to do so, we need to present flight simulation in a way that doesn't initially overwhelm them.

That is where Flight School comes in.

OK?

Dovetail has previously explained:

Flight School is a "downgraded" simulator. Why?

OK?

So you chose to pick apart my post and pick two sentences that really aren't meant to stand alone.  The first sentence was not intended for you...enough said.

The second sentence was taken WAY out of context.  To appeal to someone doesn't mean appeal by emotion but to make requests or ask for input, or at least that was my intention with that statement.

I've read enough of DTG's stance on Flight School and again I KNOW Fight School wasn't made for experienced people, but if you're going back to the beginning with something, doesn't it make sense to work with people who already have experience?

So you chose to pick apart my post and pick two sentences that really aren't meant to stand alone.  The first sentence was not intended for you...enough said.

The second sentence was taken WAY out of context.  To appeal to someone doesn't mean appeal by emotion but to make requests or ask for input, or at least that was my intention with that statement.

I've read enough of DTG's stance on Flight School and again I KNOW Fight School wasn't made for experienced people, but if you're going back to the beginning with something, doesn't it make sense to work with people who already have experience?

Sorry if I misread your post.

But DTG already - "listen to us and ask for input and feedback".

And DTG already - "work with people who already have experience."

Moving on...so does anyone know if DTG plans to release any types of tutorials for those who need it, or are they on their own to figure things out for themselves?