Sign in to follow this  
torium

Dovetail Games Presentation @ FlightSimCon 2016

Dovetail say they will give us a new platform - not a new FSX, P3D or X-Plane. Do you understand the difference?

Sounds good on paper. I say....PROVE IT. The video shows us nothing and Flight School is lackluster at best IMHO (and like i stated earlier, I would rather buy some beer than waste my cash on what I've seen around the web about Flight School).

When it comes to this simulator, I will politely believe half of what I hear and all of what I see. If Flight School is a peek at whats to come, I think I will just pass and drink more beer. My FSX runs fine and looks great. Just my $.02...

• Upvote 3

Dovetail say they will give us a new platform - not a new FSX, P3D or X-Plane. Do you understand the difference?  :smile:

+87 i see good things coming . the one  thing that had bother me for years in our comunity is that there is a good few that are ready to kill anything before its even out ... 

Edited by n4gix
Please do NOT quote the entire post!
  • Upvote 2

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Flight School, to date, has made me quite a bit more doubtful of DTGs technical prowess. I'm keeping my eyes open.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Now they rebuild it with knowledge that it will be unfinished and rely on others to complete it because they can`t  or don`t want to do because of time issues or missing knowledge.

I understand that they can`t build everything. But looks like they complete rely on add-on`s to make the sim run.

You see now in Flight School that they already gave everything away. Airports, Aircraft, Scenery and Missions were developed by external companies.

Some time ago me and a friend who is also a RW pilot started to knock some doors and wanted to see what was going to be the cost of developing a new sim we had just over 1M or so as our starting budget and no knowledge of what it would take to start working on this project , after some research we gave up for the simple reason that we learn it was going to eat up all of our budget pretty soon . If i were to start again with more money , i dont see nothing wrong with hiring well known developers from the sim community or even some AC manufacturers to fill in where we could not do it our self ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed. They didn't show off anything, just said the same thing they were saying about Flight School, which isn't that great. In the question session, there were no real definitive answers, just a bunch of running around questions saying they want to implement stuff.

They have a real high bar if they want to be relevant, especially with the promise that Aerofly FS 2 shows and what X Plane showed off.

Flight School, to date, has made me quite a bit more doubtful of DTGs technical prowess. I'm keeping my eyes open.

Flight School obviously has been a missed approach. Now DT could state once more those complaining not being the target group. However, look at the Steam statistics with mere 53 % positive reviews. This could either mean these reviews were mostly written by grumpy old FSX users in which case Dovetail obviously failed to reach their target group of aspiring young virtual pilots waiting for a teacher (should it exist at all) or they reached the target group but the aspiring pilots are disppointed. Either way they failed.

I doubt Dovetail will be able to basically modify the core engine and concept within half of a year besides adding contents. While I had quite some hope about their new simulator initially, I alrady lowered these after seeing the first shots and even more after playing Flight School for an hour.

Actually, that's not a tragedy, though. Prepar3d will certainly go 64 bits (and supposedly undergo more renovation) in the foreseable future, AeroflyFS2 is a very promising new kind on the block I am really having fun with, albeit IPACS doesn't make half of the noise of DT. And X-Plane announced a number of quite exciting improvements which - contrary to DT's vague statements - are certainly not vaporware based on their track record. That's enough to keep me busy (and sold) for the foreseeable future.

Kiund regards, Michael

• Upvote 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

this is what Froogle has to say about flight simming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOZaQoq66Vc

I guess I'm easily distracted by all those heads in the way. I kept thinking: "Grass doesn't grow on a busy streets........."   :p0504:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I guess I'm easily distracted by all those heads in the way. I kept thinking: "Grass doesn't grow on a busy streets........."   :p0504:

A lot of grey and many bold spots indeed :BigGrin:  

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS