Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

CLOSED: Take our survey and have your say in shaping the future of flight simulation (plus there are prizes to be won!)

I can simplify it to some degree.

Make a plausible living breathing world as good as what we see in GTA V for PC.

Offer high quality aircraft with realistic systems and handling.

Realistic weather and lighting.

That covers it for me.

Of course all of this again leads us to a virtual world someday where most everything we do in real life can be simulated on your computer whether it be flying or racing cars.

First to build said virtual world- wins.

Actually, I did NOT "drag everything" and reorder in priority. I dragged only those items that hold some interest for me. The only complaint I got were two questions I thought I'd answered but had missed.

My survey results were accepted as submitted.

I too found that those "drag/drop/reorder" questions were too lengthy.

That's exactly what I did first because it seemed to be the most logical thing to do but my results weren't accepted and all those drag and drop questions were marked red. My results were only accepted after dragging each and every item to the right (in random order...). Did you do the survey just now? In that case they must have changed an option so you do not have to drag absolutely everything.

EDIT

Yes, the changed a few things. I went back to the survey and all my selections and answers were saved: nice as I am I took the time to drag all the items that didn't interest me from those dreaded lists back to the left again, leaving only the ones I was interested in on the right and this time the survey was accepted immediately.

Would have been nice if they posted something about it here. Like a thank-you-for-improving-our-survey. :hi: :wink: Well, at least you can say DTG DOES listen to their (upcoming) customers...

EDIT 2

LOL I noticed they also added this to the drag and drop questions: "Please note, you need to arrange all of the boxes in order for the question to be answered)." Funny because it is NOT needed anymore LOL

I started this topic being a bit ###### but it's getting rather funny now... :Tounge:

Well that was 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. But, oh how I'd love to feel those pedals under my toes.  :wink:

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

DTG

Just wasted 3 hours completeing survey

plus populating text boxes with extensive data.

Clicked SUBMIT,

only to have esurv wipe all contents irrecoverably

Warning: Javascript or cookies are not enabled!
You must enable Javascript and Cookies else your response will NOT be saved.

The Agree, Disagree, No opinion questions were a tad bit redundant. At least some of them. If for one opinion I say agree, naturally the next question framing the exact opposite position of the original question would automatically take shape of true/false based on the answer given for said question.

For example:

I have never heard of Dovetail Games..

I know a lot about Dovetail Games..

I know very little about Dovetail Games..

and the list goes on for quite a while.

If those could be compressed into a smaller quantity, you'd have the same results yet less time consuming or repetitive in nature.

I did have fun filling those opinion questions out though, made me feel like I'm judging my significant other in some cheesy magazine based questionnaire. :P

i think that everyone that completes the survey should get a prize  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 4

The Agree, Disagree, No opinion questions were a tad bit redundant. At least some of them. If for one opinion I say agree, naturally the next question framing the exact opposite position of the original question would automatically take shape of true/false based on the answer given for said question.

For example:

I have never heard of Dovetail Games..

I know a lot about Dovetail Games..

I know very little about Dovetail Games..

and the list goes on for quite a while.

This is by design. Any questionnaire having checked "I have never heard of Dovetail Games" PLUS "I know a lot about Dovetail Games" at the same time gets discarded. Don't laugh, there are such principles in "questionnaire science."

I highly doubt flightsimmers will have fun with such, though. I am afraid this questionnaire might fail the same way FlightSchool did. After spending half an hour carefully filling this form not being accepted later, I am tempted to use one of the words forbidden at AVSIM.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

After spending half an hour carefully filling this form not being accepted later, I am tempted to use one of the words forbidden at AVSIM.

LOL

Hi Jeroen,

Your posts are always worth stopping to read! :)

I am torn between not risking a slot in my lifetime for a company that seems to have a really hard time even being able to talk to us without getting everyone riled up!

Have had enough of that already!

Sheech!

Well here goes... Clicking the link.

Report:

That was fun...Not!

The slider answers thing was almost impossible to work right. Finally after all the frustration I just concentrated on getting stuff over. All that stuff will give them useless false positives. What a waste of my time and their opportunity to have good information and leave a good impression.

I hope they can build a flight simulator better than they can build a survey.

Kind regards,

• Upvote 2

Well, I did (sort of) warn you, Stephen... ;) But thanks for the compliment! :)

I hope they can build a flight simulator better than they can build a survey.

Kind regards,

Stephen, they will build whatever it is that they want to build and then claim that we were all consulted.

Just look at Flight School, DTG took nothing on board from the feedback here and actually released a product that had less flight training lessons than FSX

I have completed the survey for you Mr Dovetail...but it was not an enjoyable experience for me.  As my fellow simmers have mentioned dragging those 60+ boxes was most tedious, i only actually care about the top 10 in each.

I really do mean no offense with this statement i promise.  But i think producing a replacement for FSX may be beyond your company.  I really hope that i am wrong.

Ian R Tyldesley

But i think producing a replacement for FSX may be beyond your company.  I really hope that i am wrong.

To be fair. Dovetail has not claimed that their new flight simulator will replace FSX.

Dovetail: 

"FSX: SE is not going anywhere and we are not looking to replace it. We are not making a sequel or continuing the range of Microsoft flight simulators. It is completely its own thing and while developing it we are looking towards the future of the technology rather than connecting to what currently exists.

Since we decided, almost four years ago, that we wanted to develop a flight simulator our focus has been on making one which meets the needs and desires of simmers. Not one that that competes with any other sim.

It is aim to make a new true next gen flight simulation platform that you all want. That is what drives us, that is what motivates us to do what we are doing."

To be fair. Dovetail has not claimed that their new flight simulator will replace FSX.

Whether it ends up replacing FSX or not, a company aiming to create a "next-gen" software product should be able to produce a modern, user-friendly online survey. I took one quick look at it, and decided my time was worth more than that. 

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Dovetail:

"FSX: SE is not going anywhere and we are not looking to replace it. We are not making a sequel or continuing the range of Microsoft flight simulators. It is completely its own thing and while developing it we are looking towards the future of the technology rather than connecting to what currently exists.

Since we decided, almost four years ago, that we wanted to develop a flight simulator our focus has been on making one which meets the needs and desires of simmers. Not one that that competes with any other sim.

It is aim to make a new true next gen flight simulation platform that you all want. That is what drives us, that is what motivates us to do what we are doing."

They won't call it a replacement because they want to keep FSX:SE alive but their description sounds like a sim that should be better than FSX and no matter what you call it, in the end that would be mean a replacement. The fight school didn't do much to keep my attention and my interest (and my hopes) for that new sim have gone from pretty high to almost zero. But I do think that's something for another topic... ;)