Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

PMDG 737 Too Much Detail For Me!

Well, after 6 months, I tried it for the 2nd time. I read both manuals(for the 2nd time) and I printed out a 52 page, highly detailed (with color screen shots) tutorial done, embarrassingly(to me) and amazingly, by a very bright 17 year old high school boy, Fred Clauson. Geese! This time I never even got the engines started! There were two separate discrepancies(switch identification) between the tutorial(or my interpretation of it) and my overhead panel. I have v1.3 and his tutorial was based on v1.2 so that might have had something to do with it, but it really doesn't matter. Anyway, after about 30-45 min, and before the engines were even started, the master caution light came on, and I said, enough of this ----, I'm calling in sick!So, off the hard drive it came for the second time. I sincerely hope MS doesn't make the big jets this 'REAL' in FS10!! Too much like actual work for me! (At my age I don't even buy green bananas) I guess I've just come to realize that, after 3-4 years, I'm more into the visuals/graphics, scenery, sounds and movie making etc. rather than trying to emulate the absolute REAL deal block to block! Can someone recommend a heavy jet program that has comparable high graphic detail/quality, but is closer to the FS9 default heavies in operational simplicity?? Thanks!Scott PS - Fred, if you see this---all the best to you! No doubt-- you'll go far!

Don't be too discouraged. The PMDG is really great to fly. I can send you a simplified check list that will have the plane up and running in about 5 minutes (if you don't bother with FMC programming). I think the flight modeling on the PMDG is so superb that maybe you can give it another try. I wouldn't mind helping along if you'd like. Mike

The Clausen tutorial is serviceable, but nothing to write home about. Get yourself a copy of Tim Metzinger's tutorials. Then, ignore the "Let's pretend we're in real pilot training" stuff and copy the first 3 pages of the first tutorial; then copy the instructions on how to program the FMC; put this all together into a short word document, and you're off to the races. It's not really that difficult. The other thing you need is: 1) the small utility that converts FS flightplans into the format that the PMDG FMC uses and 2) the fuel loader/planner that'll -with reasonable accuracy- load fuel into your plane. If you want to PM me, I'd be happy to provide assistance. ricardo

Or, you may want to try flying it like I do, i.e., run it from a saved flight with the engines running, fuel 50%, etc. I used to always start from a cold-and-dark cockpit but after a while I realized that there was no satisfaction in that for me. Now I just set it on a runway somewhere, set the final fuel load, program a flight into the FMC (sometimes using an FSNavigator export), and fly it off. None of that switch-setting stuff for me anymore. I'm too old to waste all that time just sitting there clicking things :-) . I wouldn't give up on her yet. Once you get the basics down (not more than a couple of hours even for me) it's no more complex than the 172 - well, maybe a little, but not very much if you discount the FMC programming (which I wouldn't 'cause it's not all that big a deal to set up a basic flight). Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

It really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it, don't give up so easily! It is a joy to fly. FMC programming is not my thing, I rarely have enough time just to fly lately. but buy a program called FS Navigator which you set your departure and arrival airports, cruising alttitude, airplane type, and it will create an autoroute for you which you can send to the pmdg FMC.

Mike, Doug, Ricardo, and Alex -Thanks for all the suggestions.Mike if you wouldn't mind sending your abreviated check list I'd like to try it. elguappo@verizon.netDoug, that is a good sugestion also. I'll try it as well.Ricardo, Ill PM you for that information. ThanksAlex, I have the trial version of FS Navigator. I'll look at that option to.Scott

If worse comes to worse, you can always "slave" the aircraft to an alternative panel. You may lose some of what the aircraft offers, but you would still have the excellent visuals, the FDE, and other components. What I usually do, since the whole point of such a complex aircraft is learning how the real folks do it, is create a second instance of the aircraft in the aircraft.cfg slaved to a "light", or even the default panel. It lets me start flying out of the box, but also allows me to dive back into the real cockpit when I need to. I don't have the PMDG 737, but I've done this with releases from Eaglesoft and FSD and it's allowed me to gently experience the aircraft vs. learning it like a ton 'o bricks landed on my head :)-John

cool, check out the export to FS Navigator option. You need to download the extra file from the fsnav website, its called pmdg export module I think? Anyway once you export it, using the pmdg fmc you enter the name of the file you exported into the CO ROUTE section. Enter your weight and a few other things in the FMC and you now have a route to follow on the navigation display. Timothy M. Metzinger also makes a great tutorial, not sure where to find it now though

Guest macman4

Mike, if you don't mind I would like the simplified check listmacman4@ameritech.net, Thank you ,Bob McDuff

If you want to get going quickly without having to start the engines then fire up the default FS9 flight then load the pmdg 737 and you will be on the runway at KSEA (or switch to your preferred departure airport) with engines running ready to rock and roll. You will however need to go into the overhead and start the APU then the engine generators otherwise the autothrottle doesn't work.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Wow, these new modern jetliners are as simplified as you can get. I mean the aircraft just about does everything for you once the wheels are off the runway. I can't understand how anyone could feel the 737NG, Airbus, or any of the new Boeings for that matter are hard to fly.Scott compared to Ready for Pushback's 747 and DreamFleet's 727, all modern jetliners are child play to operate.I know some of us catch on to things a little slower depending on ware we're at with aviation but you have to take things in perspective. First off all aircraft use the same rule of thumb in operation (lift, thrust, and drag). Pulling the yoke back will have the same effect on all fixed winged aircraft. All you need to know is how to turn the engines on and get the autopilot to do what it's supposed to do in flight. I mean this in terms of Flight Simulator of course because the real world requires far more things to consider that

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

You can always try my Grade School level tutorial! :-lol I didn't include the engine start procedure, as it's easy with a checklist and doesn't require much knowledge other than when to push what.Simply load the plane over a default Microsoft plane (e.g., Cessna) with it's engine already running and avionics switch on, and follow my steps.http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Loca...=ftp&DLID=73496

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Scott:One final thing, should you try again and succeed in mastering it this time, which I am confident you will.The best part about it is that you'll understand the system logic of a modern Boeing Airliner and while the models differ in some ways it will open the door to easily accessing the other "big" add-ons out there, like the 747 and the 767 or the upcoming 777.Pesonally I didn't even need the manuals anymore to get around in those other types after I had mastered the 737. At least not in a sense of "how to" but more in a sense of "where is that button/switch in this model?".

Can someone post where to get the utility that converts FS9 flight plans to PMDG ones? Thanks!http://www.graphics-free.com/animations/tr...ges/plane_6.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Print it out and type it into the CDU...FSBuild will do what you want, but it's not free.Import the FS plan in FSBuild, select PMDG as an export option, and click Build.