Sign in to follow this  
x-plane 123

LR major announcement at the 2016 Flight Sim Expo!

Even if they announce XP11, the question is final release date - 2017/2018. But I think if they want to take some customers away from other sims, they have to hurry with release due to upcomming 64bit DFS and probably P3D.

Milan Zikmund

I'm looking forward to XP11, I just hope that backwards compatibility for planes and scenery won't be a big issue. Active developers will surely keep their most sucessful addons up to date, but some devs seem to have disappeared completely.

Even if they announce XP11, the question is final release date - 2017/2018. But I think if they want to take some customers away from other sims, they have to hurry with release due to upcomming 64bit DFS and probably P3D.

I don't get the impression that Austin cares all that much about being competitive in the civilian flight sim market, or else X-Plane wouldn't be what it is today (both the warts and the good stuff). Laminar moves at its own pace.

That said, I don't recall an especially long period from the announcement of v10 to the final release. If this is what's happening at that expo, then I'm betting for a v11 release date in first quarter 2017. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Milan Zikmund

well xp10 they also announced at a flightsim show and it was released a few months afterwards. so q1 17 is not the worst bet imho

All clues point to XP11 and it's about time some news was given. I am happy with the amount of updates we have had for XP10 that I think they should actually be charging and updating (LM get away with it  =@ ) for a new version. I'd like to see:

• Weather. I have high hopes we'll see something here and it's much needed. (Lots of comments here are about the representation of weather)
  • Regional autogen. A way for the community to add landmarks and local buildings as we currently can for airports. I think this would make a big difference and something I really wanted to achieve with W2XP but couldn't get enough exposure or interest.
  • Improved ATC
  • PBR (I know we are getting this, but I am really looking forward to making airports using PBR materials)

I'm not so much bothered about seasons as I think a third-party can do this.

but some devs seem to have disappeared completely.

Who has disappeared out of curiosity? 

• Upvote 1

Weather. I have high hopes we'll see something here and it's much needed. (Lots of comments here are about the representation of weather)

Regional autogen. A way for the community to add landmarks and local buildings as we currently can for airports. I think this would make a big difference and something I really wanted to achieve with W2XP but couldn't get enough exposure or interest.

Improved ATC

PBR (I know we are getting this, but I am really looking forward to making airports using PBR materials)

I doubt big changes in weather. I think Austin is still very proud of the "puff system", and Laminar knows that weather add-ons will get very good within a year or two (taking into account the inevitable market share growth of X-Plane).

Europe + maybe more regions Autogen will be in XP11, I agree (it's been hinted even by Ben).

Improved ATC -  My personal opinion on this is that if Laminar is clever, they hire or pay Greg from WT - what this guy has achieved on his own is absolutely outstanding. 

PBR - It's coming, yes. Some more polish, but it won't be groundbreaking (just like HDR in X-Plane 10, which was at the time already established in the gaming industry).

My big hopes lie in the render architecture. Vulkan or whatever it may be, better multi core support and better GPU support (VR) would be very good. Just hoping it won't break too much compability with add-ons ect.

Those things aside, I think 11 will somewhat be the executed vision they had for X-Plane 10. With everything in place now (Autogen, Airports) plus the new UI. That is fine with me.

Oh one thing! WATER! It desperately needs to become much better and there is now way to improve what we have in 10. 

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

It's been nearly 5 years (Nov 2011) since XPX was released, it is getting a bit long in the tooth. Hopefully XP11 is soon, the rendering engine is starting to show it's age.

Can someone enlighten me on what a migration to vulcan would achieve? One of the benefits (and perhaps downfalls) of X-Plane is that it is multiplatform. My understanding is that Vulcan will give us more modern APIs as long as the platform will support it. Some things that come to mind are tessellation as as shader pipeline (Which OpenGL has supported for some time, but which Apple have been slow to adapt. People often state that LR would be better dropping OpenGL and moving to DirectX which would kill Mac, Android, iOS and Linux support and this in my view would be a huge mistake and not something that would happen any time soon. It my humble opinion, X-Plane already is the most modern and best performing flight-sim and it simply needs to take advantage of the technology it already is using, which I trust Ben and co already know and are working hard to achieve.

• Upvote 3

DTG don't use PBR, in fact there is very little difference visually between FSX and flight school. 

Yup, they do. In fact you even replied in this thread providing this explanation of PBR. 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483642-ask-dovetail-games-about-dtg-flight-school-flight-simulator/?p=3373824

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Yup, they do. In fact you even replied in this thread providing this explanation of PBR. 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483642-ask-dovetail-games-about-dtg-flight-school-flight-simulator/?p=3373824

I think it's an open question whether what Martin was talking about in those pre-release interviews was actually delivered in the final Flight School product. It sure doesn't look very different from FSX. He may have been talking more about the plans for the upcoming FS project.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

All clues point to XP11 and it's about time some news was given. I am happy with the amount of updates we have had for XP10 that I think they should actually be charging and updating (LM get away with it  =@ ) for a new version. I'd like to see:

• Weather. I have high hopes we'll see something here and it's much needed. (Lots of comments here are about the representation of weather)
  • Regional autogen. A way for the community to add landmarks and local buildings as we currently can for airports. I think this would make a big difference and something I really wanted to achieve with W2XP but couldn't get enough exposure or interest.
  • Improved ATC
  • PBR (I know we are getting this, but I am really looking forward to making airports using PBR materials)

Agree on all of that (except seasons, which I'd like to see implemented as default).

But for the 1% of simmers like me and Jcomm, what I would like to see are improvements in the flight model, especially the basic calculation of lift distribution and downwash for each wing and their mutual influences, which apparently has not been historically very accurate and is seemingly the major cause of the perceived twitchiness of X-Plane aircrafts.

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I think it's an open question whether what Martin was talking about in those pre-release interviews was actually delivered in the final Flight School product. It sure doesn't look very different from FSX. He may have been talking more about the plans for the upcoming FS project.

I really dont want to make this a discussion about DTG's, but they did implement it. You can see it some of the videos. Its nothing immensely important as there are other things that sim needs serious work on, but their aircraft models are exquisite with PBR. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Yeah, that was always my assumption about XP10 and why I decided to buy it, but here we are 5 years later and still no seasons (unless I've missed something). As someone for whom they are important it always surprises me that they're not more of a priority for devs or users but I guess everyone thinks that about their own priorities. I mean, they're such a big factor in the natural world...no?

• Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea