Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Ventura Sky 1.0 released for X-Plane 10.50!

Only problem with XP, IMO, are still the graphics for cumulus and nimbus type clouds, as well as Tcu and Cb... Not VS fault, but not even SMP does miracles in this area unfortunately, and when we compare to the other platform then we get even less enthusiastic about it - let's hope for news with XP11....  I'm almost sure that's going to make part of their focus...

What gives you the impression that LR is going to focus on cloud graphics ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

What gives you the impression that LR is going to focus on cloud graphics ?

Because it is one of the most commonly mentioned drawbacks in their current version.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The structure of the weather settings that can be seen in the X-Plane 11 preview on Youtube, appears 100% identical to the current one, except that an explicit 3 layers limitation does not appear.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that the weather engine will not be changed for the X-Plane 11 initial release, although I'm pessimistic that we'll see a weather engine as advanced as FSX/P3D. But I'll be pleasantly surprised if they improve it! :smile:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

It worries me they haven't mentioned a single word about updating the weather in X-Plane 11.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I'm pessimistic that we'll see a weather engine as advanced as FSX/P3D. But I'll be pleasantly surprised if they improve it! :smile:

I think you are comparing apples & oranges here.

xplane default weather will not be as good and specialized as a third party product addon available for P3D/FSX (i.e. REX, etc). 

In my opinion we should not pretend xplane default stuff to beat specialized niche companies. By contrary i would like to see xplane improve their SDK and platform for incredible addon development. The amount of info and interaction via the SDK as of today for products like skymaxxpro, etc. is very limited thus some drawbacks and workarounds that do not work just as expected (i.e. cloud popup from nowhere)

I can not imagine a small company like Laminar being developing xplane to the point were it beat all payware addons on FSX/P3D by its own on every single aspect. They should focus on helping and providing tools/platform for third party to develop amazing addons.

Just my opinion, not trying to star a war at all.

• Upvote 1

Manuel Merelles

If a better SDK is offered, allowing for better intervention than what is currently possible, and I believe is explored to the limits by the NOAA plugin, would be great.

The visuals also have a big impact though, for the great majority of users. I would certainly like to see what AS16 and ASCA presently provide.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

xplane default weather will not be as good and specialized as a third party product addon available for P3D/FSX (i.e. REX, etc).

I'm not comparing X-Plane default weather to 3rd party FSX product, I'm comparing it to default FSX/P3D weather engine. X-Plane weather engine is in many areas (especially visually) still inferior to default FS2004 weather engine. No moving or dynamic clouds, limited cloud structures and types, limited tridimensional features (convective clouds), etc.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

In my opinion we should not pretend xplane default stuff to beat specialized niche companies. By contrary i would like to see xplane improve their SDK and platform for incredible addon development. The amount of info and interaction via the SDK as of today for products like skymaxxpro, etc. is very limited thus some drawbacks and workarounds that do not work just as expected (i.e. cloud popup from nowhere)

I can not imagine a small company like Laminar being developing xplane to the point were it beat all payware addons on FSX/P3D by its own on every single aspect. They should focus on helping and providing tools/platform for third party to develop amazing addons.

Just my opinion, not trying to star a war at all.

You are right in the fact that LR isn't going to compete with the highly praised weather engines and additions on the competitor products. Those have had years of development, on an SDK that actually allows access. But, I don't think people really expect that either. I'm personally not looking for them to bring out a product that puts Sky Force to shame.

What I am looking for is basic, essential features that even the FSX / P3D default engine has. As Murmur mentions, even on the cusp of X-Plane 11, the default weather still struggles with basic functionality that the old Microsoft Flight Sim products had. That is pretty sad, considering how crucial weather is in a flight simulator. Even worse that it doesn't really seem to be on LR's agenda.

If they could just solve the adjacent tile information load, smooth transitions, better looking to-the-horizon clouds and perhaps spruce up the looks so it at least looks post-2001, then I'd be a happy man. But we're in a desperate struggle downloading addons left and right, just to get this very basic functionality and still coming up short in some areas.

But you are absolutely right in the fact that, if they could just improve the SDK at least, give developers real access and modify how it loads and transitions weathers, do away with the awful tile-based system perhaps, then it would be a tremendous leap. Again, it's just worrying that LR hasn't said word one about it, didn't even hint at it during their X-Plane 11 presentation.

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I think we should concentrate on SkyMaxx 4 for now which I think will be quite a step up from v3.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

It worries me they haven't mentioned a single word about updating the weather in X-Plane 11.

considering they haven't lost a single word about xp11, this is not suprising.

considering they haven't lost a single word about xp11, this is not suprising.

I think you can be pretty sure everything we saw and heard in the FlightSimCon presentation was X-Plane 11.

Murmur has made available some outstanding visuals for the skies in XP10.50. It is, I believe, as far as using present tools / datarefs can go.  But we need further control to properly allow for convective clouds, and for other weather features.

Even simple up/down drafts aren't presently modeled, other than those derived from thermals or rifge lift.

I would be happy with something in the line of Murmur's mods + convective clouds and additonal control over weather parameters, such as for instance "simple" effects like those due to moist.

Looking forward for next weekend's announcements :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I think you can be pretty sure everything we saw and heard in the FlightSimCon presentation was X-Plane 11.

Well yes and no. What they showed was stuff that was in development, specifically they said stuff that they can show already. And if you look more closely it was basically the stuff that ben supnik is working on (scenery and graphics), the UI and the sound engine (dunno their names). Especially the last two are projects they give out to developers (like Philip Münzel and the GNS 430/530). If the past is anything to go by, than they only show stuff that is in a almost finished state and they are sure they can deliver.  Also the weather engine is done by austin afaik.

Now we all know that it is basically xp11 that was shown there. But offically it has not been announced yet. Once Cosworth hits and XP11 will indeed by announced you can expect them to release alot more information regarding all parts of the sim. That beeing said, updating the weather API/SDK or removing the 3 layer limitation on a slide in text is not really as UHHH and AHHH inspiring as a PBR cessna or a United T7 in the dusk at FL360. 

That is what i meant, ofically XP11 is not out. There are rumours and some hints and bits. But the things you see sofar are the highlights that gets people talking.

How do I increase the visibility then? Cant find the Extended_mode line in the Ventura_Sky_1.2 file.

Also, I think somethings wrong with flywithlua. I updated to latest version but still getting errors. 

TqA1qQ5.png

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

How do I increase the visibility then? Cant find the Extended_mode line in the Ventura_Sky_1.2 file.

Also, I think somethings wrong with flywithlua. I updated to latest version but still getting errors. 

The error is caused by RTH (dazzle.lua), you need to remove all RTH scripts. The extended mode is in line 18, see: http://venturasky.com/resources/extended-visibility/

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB