Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Ventura Sky 1.0 released for X-Plane 10.50!

Line 18 for me is:

Well of course you need a code editor that displays lines ;) Try Notepad ++, it's good and free. Or just change that 0 at the beginning of your line 4 into 1, that'll do too.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I think when we diss X-Plane weather depiction, it's important to note that we're talking about BAD weather. Good weather is stunning, and superior to the old sim. Yes clouds don't extend to the horizon. But that's just a nice to have. SMP draws 3D clouds, and what really matters is that flying through them is good - that's a must in terms of realism. The old sim uses bitmaps - when I want to see bitmaps, I play Super Mario Brothers.

sky.png?raw=1

• Upvote 5

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I think when we diss X-Plane weather depiction, it's important to note that we're talking about BAD weather. Good weather is stunning, and superior to the old sim. Yes clouds don't extend to the horizon. But that's just a nice to have. SMP draws 3D clouds, and what really matters is that flying through them is good - that's a must in terms of realism. The old sim uses bitmaps - when I want to see bitmaps, I play Super Mario Brothers.

But weather is not only puffy clouds. MSFS has better rain depiction, better snow depiction, better fog depiction (P3D has also localized fog banks), more cloud types.

• Upvote 4

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

But weather is not only puffy clouds. MSFS has better rain depiction, better snow depiction, better fog depiction (P3D has also localized fog banks), more cloud types.

Yes, that's very true. And I am sorry, but even the puffy clouds don't look anywhere near the ones I have in FSX / P3D, even talking just the default ones. 

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Great script! I think this is the best you can get from XP's crippled weather engine. Thank you very much for your hard work!

Does it fiddle with water options (I use it with a script called "WaterOptions.lua". Is this ok?) ?

BTW, everybody...I hope all my HELP!  requests in installing this great .lua script does not throw you off from trying it yourself. It turns out, that it is quite easy to follow the set up...what you need to do...and honestly can be all installed from all sources, within a half-hour or less...and that's with reading, and then doing.

What problem I had...but was not apparent...was that because XPX:50 is a 64 bit program, it will want to access a 64 bit program code like Python, in 64 bit.  So...you need to download and install the 64 bit version of Python.  If you do that first, then you will NOT have any problems in using, and enjoying Ventura Sky 1.2.

That's very important. I had installed Python 32 bit...and so when I fired up XP 10:50..and then went to my Plug-In drop down menus, Python did not show up...so therefore, nothing was in play for Ventura Sky...no NOAA plug-in, nothing.  THAT'S why I had all my 'problems'.  

So...just wanted to post that you will avoid all the hassle I had...by installing the Python 64 bit version.

Cant get Python to show up either. Did you use the file called "Python-3.6.0b-amd64" ? Thats the only 64 bit win file I can find. Also, put the PythonInterface in Resources/Plugins, but still not showing up.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Cant get Python to show up either. Did you use the file called "Python-3.6.0b-amd64" ? Thats the only 64 bit win file I can find. Also, put the PythonInterface in Resources/Plugins, but still not showing up.

I used the Python-2.7.12.amd64.msi for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors

Here is its:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2712/

Use the second from the bottom link to click on, to start your download......for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors

You need the above, as the NOAA is a 2.7 release version, that will be compatible with the Python 2.7 release.

Hope this helps.  :hi:

I just can't understand why people keep comparing apples and oranges.....when it comes to cloud depiction (XP or what ever else you like) it really is all subjective, we all look/feel things a little differently, I love XP default clouds, never have I had such immersion compared to the other options, unfortunately original clouds do tax my video card so I settle for SMP ones.

The fact that I like XP clouds doesn't make them the best and that it should be the standard for every other sim option, or that everybody should like them, its my OWN preference.

Instead of wasting time comparing/debating, just enjoy what you like the most.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I used the Python-2.7.12.amd64.msi for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors

Here is its:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2712/

Use the second from the bottom link to click on, to start your download......for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors

You need the above, as the NOAA is a 2.7 release version, that will be compatible with the Python 2.7 release.

Hope this helps.  :hi:

That worked, sort of. 

Python Interface is now showing up in plugins, but it says that I have no scripts installed. Is that correct, or is the Ventura 1.2 script only workable through FlyWithLua?

If I try to reload scripts I get these error messages:

QEBKOIr.png

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Sorry to interrupt, but this is ... not precise. The following is not meant to criticize you as a person, but to avoid that false information are spread.

You are correct that Python 2.7 x64 is required for 64-bit X-Plane, but that is not because of NOAA's version number -- which is not 2.7, but 2.3. It's because the Python Interface plugin needs that. NOAA is "just" a script that relies on Python Interface, and you need to install the Python version that Python Interface currently needs.

That worked, sort of. 

Python Interface is now showing up in plugins, but it says that I have no scripts installed. Is that correct, or is the Ventura 1.2 script only workable through FlyWithLua?

Python Interface is required for NOAA. NOAA is required by Ventura Sky. You need NOAA version 2.3. NOAA belongs into the "PythonScripts" folder in Resources/Plugins.

NOAA is a script run by the Python programming language, and Python Interface is "just" the connection between this language and X-Plane.

The Ventura Sky script is run by the Lua programming language. You need to install FlyWithLua and put the Ventura Sky script into FlyWithLua's script folder in order to make it work (You did this already, according to your screenshot).

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Sorry to interrupt, but this is ... not precise. The following is not meant to criticize you as a person, but to avoid that false information are spread.

You are correct that Python 2.7 x64 is required for 64-bit X-Plane, but that is not because of NOAA's version number -- which is not 2.7, but 2.3. It's because the Python Interface plugin needs that. NOAA is "just" a script that relies on Python Interface, and you need to install the Python version that Python Interface currently needs.

Python Interface is required for NOAA. NOAA is required by Ventura Sky. You need NOAA version 2.3. NOAA belongs into the "PythonScripts" folder in Resources/Plugins.

NOAA is a script run by the Python programming language, and Python Interface is "just" the connection between this language and X-Plane.

The Ventura Sky script is run by the Lua programming language. You need to install FlyWithLua and put the Ventura Sky script into FlyWithLua's script folder in order to make it work (You did this already, according to your screenshot).

Correct. Downloaded NOAA version 2.3 and then it worked.

But still, I get the error that "Lua stopped!" ingame. It is atempting to load

"Resources/plugins/FlyWithLyua//Scripts/zzz_viz_lua:45: attempt to index global sv_box_1 "

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

But still, I get the error that "Lua stopped!" ingame. It is atempting to load

"Resources/plugins/FlyWithLyua//Scripts/zzz_viz_lua:45: attempt to index global sv_box_1 "

This message comes from a RealTerraHaze script you have still installed.

You need to uninstall all RealTerraHaze scripts; Ventura Sky is not compatible with it, because both scripts manipulate the same X-Plane settings).

Simply delete all other scripts from FlyWithLua's scripts folder, only leave Ventura Sky there.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Ok...thanks for the correction.  No ego trouncing here.... if I was wrong, good to correct that. :)