Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

DX10 fixer cloud shadow addon

Steve just released the dx10 fixer--cloud shadow addon.  

it looks really good, no performance impact for me.  as altitude passes at around the 1000ft agl mark, the shadows slowly fade in/out so it's done quite well.  

with the dx10 fixer vc shadows going, fsx looks like a million bucks.  

cs_1.jpg

cs_4.jpg

as noted in Steve's product description, there are visual anomalies when using in mountainous terrain.  i can see a shadow front moving with the aircraft as shown in red below.  not a buzz kill but perhaps there's a tweak in the app setup or Steve can eventually blend the shadow better in such scenarios.     

cs_3.jpg

all in all, an amazing addon to an already essential fsx addon.  

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks Bjoern. 

Water set to 2x medium may cause issues... and another 10 pounds UK might cause wife issues ! LOL :cool:

i don't think this is experimental or limited--as an extension to Steve's revolutionary dx10 fixer, it's solid and again transforms the fsx experience.  fsx got another lease on life until p3d 64b comes out.  i've been using 2.x water all along so no performance issue here.  

speaking of water, water now looks more realistic with cloud shadows blocking reflection.

cs_f16.jpg

This is an amazing add on. I fly FSX SE with AS16, ASCA and Reshade. However it appears to me that Reshade does not work with the new Cloud Shadows add on. Can anyone else confirm if they cannot see shadow while using Reshade?

This is an amazing add on. I fly FSX SE with AS16, ASCA and Reshade. However it appears to me that Reshade does not work with the new Cloud Shadows add on. Can anyone else confirm if they cannot see shadow while using Reshade?

That's correct.  I was getting ready to order and noticed the following: 

Compatibility and Requirements

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 all 32/64 bit. (Windows XP does not support DX10 and so is not supported!)

Microsoft FSX SP2,Gold or Acceleration.

Dovetail Steam Edition is supported only insofar as the DX10 Shaders and interface remain the same as in the Gold Edition.

Not compatible with Reshade.

Purchase of DX10SceneryFixer required and you must update to 3.1 or later.

David

• Upvote 1

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 all 32/64 bit. (Windows XP does not support DX10 and so is not supported!)

Dovetail Steam Edition is supported only insofar as the DX10 Shaders and interface remain the same as in the Gold Edition.

David

Good find. However it is unfortunate. It's very difficult to fly FSX without HDR turned on once you've tried it. Reshade is a requirement for me now.

Nice to know, I don't use on P3D at all it is FPS killer and if you don't have shadows  ultra it looks ridiculous, I will try on FSX=SE for sure.

David

I can confirm that Cloud Shadows are compatible with the older ReShade builds. Using build (ReShade 0.19.2 SweetFX 2.0) I have no issues with the add on. However it does not work with version 3 which I believe is the latest.

I'll definitely be picking this up once it's back on sale.  (Steve pulled it while he tweaks some installation issues.)

• Upvote 1

This is FANTASTIC!  Sure, less that perfect but FSX is all about compromises to reality.  Cloud shadows were the only real draw P3D had for me, and now that's over (never drank that cool-aid).  Ten years old and still kickin'...excellent work SteveFx...you're da MAN!!!

FSX initially had cloud shadows in its beta, but they were dropped from the RTM version.

CLOUDSHADOWS4.png

Edited by magnetite

Also the guys at REX figured out how to implement cloud ground shadows years ago and posted some screen shots but then decided not to use them in their prodcut as the performance hit was too great. I guess Steve figured out how to do it with a minimal hit to performance.

• Upvote 1

Big bummer, it is not compatible with FSL Spotlight, which is used by the FSL A320X (you can disable spotlight, but lose flood lights, map lights, etc in the VC), and reading Steve's blog seems to indicate that this will never be fixed 

FSX initially had cloud shadows in its beta, but they were dropped from the RTM version.

CLOUDSHADOWS4.png

Are you Alainneedle? I haven't seen him here in a while and noticed that screen shot was linked to his photobucket.

Btw, I wonder what the FSX.cfg entry was to turn it on and off in the beta version and if that entry was added back in, if it would work I RTM?

The DTG Flight School FSc.cfg has this entry under [GRAPHICS] : CLOUD_SHADOWS=0

I've tried this in FSX without any effect.  I don't know how or why this entry exists, though when enable in Flight School it creates a mess.

My initial impression of the SteveFx DX10 cloud add-on is that the lack of shadows at takeoff is no big deal, though when they disappear on your landing approach it is a little jarring.  Obviously this is not nearly as polished an implementation as in P3D (but way better than nothing).  Overall a most welcomed update which breathes a little more life into FSX.  The performance hit is nearly nonexistent on my rig, though I run a gtx 1070 driving 2560x1440 with a 4770k at 4.5Gh.

clouds start to slowly fade away at 1000' agl when landing so i don't see it as jarring. Rather, it's well done.

Are you Alainneedle? I haven't seen him here in a while and noticed that screen shot was linked to his photobucket.

Btw, I wonder what the FSX.cfg entry was to turn it on and off in the beta version and if that entry was added back in, if it would work I RTM?

No, I just Googled that image.