Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

This is where Locheed Martin should look for inspiration

We're soon counting 2017, and its about time that we get a sim with integrated scenery creation tools:

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

We're soon counting 2017, and its about time that we get a sim with integrated scenery creation tools:

That should guarantee a good 3 FPS. 

• Upvote 3

I want a Flightsimulator not a Construction Simulator ...

:-)

• Upvote 1

There is a program called Scenery Builder 3.0 that does in flight creation.  Not sure it is P3D current functioning.  But if that's what you want to do it might be worth looking at it and building in FSX for P3D.

Apples and oranges...our flight sims need good FPS.

I've never been able to figure out why sims cannot use two separate pc: one for aircraft modeling and systems, and the other for scenery. I am sure it can be done, and given the cost of pc these days relative to gpu, which don't do much in the area of fps, I would like someone to educate me on why it's not possible.

tony

Couldn't agree more :smile: !  Scenery or aircraft building  is the little brother flight simming hobby of many  of us. In spite of the wonderful efforts of the FSdeveloper crowd, the tools are lacking and, except for IS3, not in-game. Now if I had the choice I'd rather have a new SBX than what looks like a new SketchUp !

Imagine the world of Xplane, only instead of static, imagine it as a malleable landscape, accessible with intuitive controls, so that users and 3rd parties could easily do close approximations of reality, adjustable in real-time.......

These technologies exist, but its hard to see when, if ever, they will intersect with the world of Flight Simulation. Outerra is as close as we've ever gotten to a truly malleable world with flight simulation capability so far, but the technology is definatly possible.

Maybe one day..... tied into OSM...... and then fine detailing by users and 3rd parties.....

The great thing about such a tool is that it would make it possible for the community to make 24000 quality airports in no time at all. We're 10 years into FSX/ESP/P3D, and how many of the airports are upgraded to realistic standards (good freeware + payware)? Not a very large percentage. The current SDK is way too cumbersome to have mass appeal. 

• Upvote 1

I've never been able to figure out why sims cannot use two separate pc: one for aircraft modeling and systems, and the other for scenery. I am sure it can be done, and given the cost of pc these days relative to gpu, which don't do much in the area of fps, I would like someone to educate me on why it's not possible.

tony

Its possible and already been done. Thats what avionics suites do -- systems simulator and leave the visuals up to P3D. 

Check out FMGS (free A320 suite, link in my signature), or Aerowinx for example. 

That's exactly my point. It is possible; it's been done, yet everyone still struggles with low frames and memory issues because everything is being pushed into one cpu.

tony

I think it's a great idea. Imagine going to a default airport and having the integrated tools to remove the default buildings and surrounding default scenery. Being able to import google images and create buildings on the spot. All the while periodically being able to go back into the sim to view then back to the tools. Now, you're using cumbersome external tools like Blender, Max, SU, etc. the SDK etc. etc.

Doesn't Instant Object Studio and Instant Scenery do this?

• Upvote 1

There is no price given on their website - you have to complete an onscreen form and submit, whereby they get back with a price. That sounds scary and probably way above my affordability level.

the node licenses are in the $30,000-$70,000 range depending on which components.

not much information about how it performs available there from googling either, i'd guess because it's mostly military customers.

they aren't inspiration for lockheed, they are competition :)

you can see some of the prices from one of the listed government orders here: http://www.loyola.com/contract-vehicles/gsa/pdf/LoyolaGSAServicesPresagisPriceList22Sep2016.pdf

looks like a lot of stuff meant to upsell non-technical people. hey for an extra $25,000 we can add ground vehicles! per workstation!

cheers

-andy crosby