Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just flew AeroFly FS-2 OMG!

Why this need to rain on the parade of others Jeroen? Let people have their fun for Pete's sake I know you're on an XP11 high right now, but come on...

The post you quoted wasn't meant as a reaction to his enthusiasm, which is unparalleled in our community and which certainly can withstand a little rain, ;) but as a reaction to Ses clearly not reading what I said. I simply want to warn people for wrong information and to get wrong expectations. ;) I am not bashing the game without knowing what I am talking about. As I posted elsewhere already I will probably buy AFS2 again if only to support it and to be able to give an honest view on it but I did buy the game when it was initially released earlier this year and my views are based on that release and the video's I have seen lately. I did ask for a refund back then.

But anyway, I will try to not post too much about my views on AeroflyFS2. ;) At least not until I tried it again myself. ;)

Despite Aerofly lacking a lot of fidelity right now, it is really hard to go back to the artificial world of P3D and XP after making a flight in Aerofly.

And the airplane graphics are insanely good - Feels so real on a 4K TV that its like being there.

Totally concur...totally...

This isn't coming off my hard drive....

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of the same passion we had for Flight Unlimited II.  I'll surely give it a try since these are the kind of sims that tickle my fancy.

Cheers

jja

• Upvote 1

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I am not bashing the game without knowing what I am talking about.

To return the game successfully, I'm assuming (hopefully correctly) you did so within the Steam two hour time limit for refunds.

But......

Remember how we felt (you were there!) on the Microsoft Flight Forums when people would come in and say that after 15 minutes they had deleted it from their drive? (But now had a detailed opinion on all its strengths and faults?)

And would tell us things like the radios didn't work, etc etc, even though we knew they did.......

I suspect this sim is just not for you, (and it wont be for a lot of people) but I do hope that if you do decide to give it another shot, you settle back and give it a good long one. 

I wish I could stick you on my Steam family plan so you wouldn't even have to pay!  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

with fully modeled and running cockpits

No; they are not fully modelled, The instrumentation is rudimentary with very few working systems.

It's basically a scenery show in a few limited areas and certainly not a simulation of flying an aircraft.

• Upvote 4

No; they are not fully modelled, The instrumentation is rudimentary with very few working systems.

It's basically a scenery show in a few limited areas and certainly not a simulation of flying an aircraft.

I meant...that the instruments are there...and fully modeled, in that they are not a fly-game, with elementary bare basics.  Yes, not all system are active, but then right now, neither are XP11's beta craft.

When they are all up and active, it will be more than enough to simulate a modern avionic's cockpit, and the 'scenery show', is the best that I have ever seen, in any flight simulator...to mimic real life flying. Not models sitting upon cartoonish textures. This is the real deal, down there....this is exactly what I see, when flying in real life.

I just, personally, hope the use of the SilverLining SDK which SkyMaxx Pro also uses, is a temporary solution. 

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

myown.png

Well...I just ended a flight, over hundreds of square miles of virtual New York State, scenery.  Lakes, rivers, cities, towns, sub-divisions,  trees shading their shadows upon the river water, beautiful to view at 3,500 feet. Beautiful to view at 12,000 feet in the Baron 58.

Today, I have seen the light...

I do NOT need to update my 8 year old CPU. I do not need to go beyond my GTX1070 FTW...and I am going to retire FSX and P3D, as far as further cost investment. What they have within them, will do, as of this date. If something truly phenomenal comes along, I will certainly look at it..but as for one add on airport after another...I am done.

I do not intend to purchase any new properties on the scale that I have in the past, that will reside in FSX or P3D. I am most certainly not going to be updating to a 64 bit version of P3D.  

I solely now intend to support this platform as my candidate for retiring P3D's and FSX's ancient gaming engine-code, will buy new DLC content, and will purchase ORBX titles that have been created or properly 'ported' over for Aerofly FS v(x), as well as continuing actively with XP 11.  I will fly FSX and P3D, but I will no longer be investing within them, as I historically have, in the past.

This sim, today, has brought home every visual, and emotional expectation, that I had only dreamed for since my Atari 800 days.   

Looks real, sound's real, flies real,  atmospherics look real, clouds look real, haze looks real.

Everything I have seen, whether at the airport at Kennedy, San Fran, Oakland, wherever...looks real..and all that surrounds it...at ground level, or at altitude, looks real to this user. 

I am home....I have found my all-time 'sim'.

ORBX/John V...still want my coin?  Start producing, and releasing, for your Project A....and you'll continue to get my coin...for as Aerofly FS-2 or x.whatever matures, so shall my investment also, with it go....   Good times...are here. For myself, anyway...

Cheers! :hi:

Mitch/ Sesquashtoo

• Upvote 2

Hi flyer ... Does aeroflyfs2  display cloud shadows on the ground?

Nope. Their clouds, weather system etc is a work in progress. and they'e expressed the desire to get AI and ATC done first. Considering the size of the company, I'm half hoping that just like Orbx with Scenery, some third party steps in and relieves Ipacs of the burden of designing a weather engine.

In fact, though I've had differences with Orbx, I have to really hand it to them for putting franchise loyalty aside in a big way and and stepping in on the ground floor of multiple sims. Its a risk that a lot of third parties probably wouldn't be willing to take without somebody big going first.

Now the question is, are we users willing to invest in these possible futures as well.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I was wondering about cross-continent trips outside of the DLC content.  Would it go to repeating low grade ground textures.  Nope. What is happening as far as I can see, is that because you are connected into STEAM,  STEAM is downloading in real time, the true ortho views...for I flew at FL280 out of Kennedy, towards Oakland, Cal.

I kept seeing not only true different terrain, but no repeats, no hint of a tile effect.  Constantly changing, as it would be below my wing.  Much prefer this. Nothing is canned from the rotation, to the squeal of your tires.  I could be wrong, but there is constant continuity of the highways, the waterways, etc.  Nothing chopped or mismatched because you are butting against another tile ...

This sim, from the air, looks absolutely veritus...

Aerofly has photo coverage of the entire earth at a resolution suitable for use at typical airline altitudes and higher resolution areas as scenery packs.

No realtime downloading is being done.

Devons rig

thanks for the info Hi Flyer.  I will be a buyer once they have cloud shadows on the ground and flight one ports over the gtn series.  I was tempted but I will wait on those Items. and thanks sesquashtoo for your enthusiam

This sim, from the air, looks absolutely veritus...

From high altitude maybe. This is what I need to see where I fly closer to the ground (XP11 beta), not just squashed flat buildings in a photo. And it's not just in limited areas. Notice how the late afternoon light hits the sides of the buildings, and will come from another direction in the morning. This is also OSM-generated streets and buildings, so it will always be updated to follow reality, unlike a one-shot orthophoto:

KingAirC90B_5.jpg

Maybe this is an area where Orbx can help out?

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Maybe this is an area where Orbx can help out?

Well they said they were hiring new people, developing new systems, etc.

My initial thought was that something like Tonywobs World2Xplane would not go amiss, and I think Orbx has the expertise to do something like that with great detail if they have an interest. (they also might have other plans entirely, of course.)

We know they already have world road data and probably tree data......

After that they could simply go about their process of dotting high resolution sceneries around the planet much as they do now.

At least that's one possible scenario.

Jv also specifically mentioned Peopleflow.

I understand peoples concerns about more complex systems lowering the framerate eventually, but ya' know, I'm gonna assume that even in the monstrously unlikely event that extended whatever knocks 100fps off........

I'm still flying over super-detailed NY with several detailed airports in the immediate area at 100fps.

I'll take it!  :smile:

By the way, this is whut NY looks like on my system: At a pretty steady 200fps at 1440p (video is in 1080p) Fps counter on lower left corner)

(One of my doggies barks in the background to show his approval)

Aerofly NY at night:

E9S4L1.png

• Upvote 1

Devons rig