Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just flew AeroFly FS-2 OMG!

And see, I've heard it said more than once that missions turn a sim into a game etc, etc.

And Ms Flight was a game supposedly due to missions.....

Seems no matter which direction you go, somebody is unhappy...

Nah, MS Flight was a game because it was designed to be one, and not a very good one at that, the missions were not the thing which made it a game, after all, there are missions in FSx. Add-ons which put missions and stuff into a sim don't detract from the fact that it is a sim, it simply becomes a sim with some built-in purpose. Personally, I think stuff like Air Hauler, Cargo Pilot and FS Passengers etc are great in that you end up flying to places you'd probably otherwise never go to in the sim and flying aircraft you might otherwise never have a go in and even buying add-on aircraft specifically for that purpose, as I in fact did yesterday when I bought the Flysimware LearJet 35A specifically to use in Air Hauler 2.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Download of the High Resolution Texture Pack is currently around 65% complete, and it will probably be another two hours before it is done.

Cristopher, as a Flight Unlimited fan, just as me, I am really looking fwd for your opinion!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'd love a flight simulator game! Bring it on. A GTA or The Sims like game based around aircraft could be fun if it was done right.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Nah, MS Flight was a game because it was designed to be one, and not a very good one at that, the missions were not the thing which made it a game, after all, there are missions in FSx. Add-ons which put missions and stuff into a sim don't detract from the fact that it is a sim, it simply becomes a sim with some built-in purpose. Personally, I think stuff like Air Hauler, Cargo Pilot and FS Passengers etc are great in that you end up flying to places you'd probably otherwise never go to in the sim and flying aircraft you might otherwise never have a go in and even buying add-on aircraft specifically for that purpose, as I in fact did yesterday when I bought the Flysimware LearJet 35A specifically to use in Air Hauler 2.

The forum was visited fairly often by people proudly proclaiming that they never did the FSX missions because they were "serious" simmers and didn't play games. And of course flying through hoops made it an insta-game, and no, the fact that hoops and sandbags were in FSX made no difference, since FSX was a real sim, etc.

Its not an uncommon sentiment. Try mentioning bringing missions to Xplane in an Xplane forum and you will likely get lots of "Sounds like a game to me" and "Leave that to the Xbox" type comments.

Honestly, I stopped even mentioning the concept of missions since the response was too much of a downer.

In a recent thread here in the DTG forums, missions were brought up by one user as a possibility for DTG, and he was quickly reminded of the horror that this had caused in Flight.

I think Ipacs might get indelibly saddled with a "game" label on sim forums if they went that route themselves. On the other hand I have seen a bad review for them on Steam because there were no missions.

Frustrating.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Christopher, as a Flight Unlimited fan, just as me, I am really looking fwd for your opinion!

Yes, I am expecting all of those wonderful FU3/FU2 memories to surface when I fly around the San Francisco Bay area :smile: I have always wanted to see a worthy successor to the Flight Unlimited series, and I am hoping and praying that this is what AeroFly FS2 will ultimately become.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I really liked some of the missions in MS Flight! Finding a missing kayak guy and things like that: cool. Somehow I never did missions in FSX or P3D: don't know why, really. Maybe I did them in MS Flight because there wasn't much else to do. However, I also did learn to use the VOR in MS Flight! After years of nog getting it. Inbound, outbound, triangulation, the lot: I suddenly got it in MS Flight. MS Flight was more of a sim than people though or still think. In the end it's what you do with the sim and what you make of it yourself... Even wrote a quite extensive tutorial afterwards that was published on the official Flight site LOL

Anyway, people should care less about what others say about their sim or how they use it. Who cares what others think if you like what you are doing.

EDIT

I see I also posted that toturial on this forum: http://www.avsim.com/topic/380559-complete-vor-tutorial/ I wonder if you can use it with AFS2? Forgot if all needed dials and radios are working in AFS2 or not.

BTW I am surprised MS Flight has been released only 4, 5 years ago... Feels like it was a decade ago. A lot has happened since.

Aerofly Navigation features (on some planes)

Route planning
Instrument Landing System (ILS)
Omni Directional Radio Range (VOR)
Non-directional radio beacon (NDB)

Here's a kid getting the most out of some of whats there.

Honestly, though there's been a lot of talk about system depth, I think some Aerofly planes compare quite well to their FSX default counterparts, and it might be a bit unfair to expect too much more at this point.

Be interesting to see what 3rd parties might be able to wring out of the system.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I like this guys Aerofly Videos, but he has been kind of randomly learning things. JV, Aerofly needs some Tutorials!

Devons rig

Just did a short flight in the 172 and like what I see.  This one is off to a great start.  DLC will make it the way we want.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Yes, I am expecting all of those wonderful FU3/FU2 memories to surface when I fly around the San Francisco Bay area :smile: I have always wanted to see a worthy successor to the Flight Unlimited series, and I am hoping and praying that this is what AeroFly FS2 will ultimately become.

I have been flying this Chris, non-stop since yesterday morning.  My feelings now, are this.

This is a niche flight simulator. It does things that the others can not. It gives you world-wide virtual reality, in what you see below you. It gives you top-notch FPS, so even the slightest twitch of your hand upon the joy-stick or yoke, is acting upon your aircraft. It gives you the most realistic approaches you can get in a flight sim, because of the high FPS generated. You have minute control.  It is a VFR's flyer's  dream-come-true.  The DLC content is stunning...and again...because you don't have all the sub systems of the other sims, dragging down your system's graphic horsepower, you GET that feeling of speed, of flight, of being borne upon the winds.  

You don't need systems, modeled down to the ninth degree. You don't need water and wave action.  You are flying over terrain, water bodies that still look very good, you are flying approaches into very detailed (most of them...for sure DLC content) airports, and again...this is the only sim that will give you that rush...for you have 60-infinity for FPS, depending on your system specs.

This is a great sim to have in your portfolio, when you don't need study flights...but want to feel the den-seat feel of flight...and freedom thereof.  This is the sim to have.

It is well done even as is...immersing, great graphics...over 17 well done, planes to choose from...and...when you fire up a military jet and pull back the stick at 120 FPS...believe me...it is a RUSH, as the ground screams away from you, and you leave it behind.  There are thousands of square miles to fly over....myriad terrain to explore. 

Again, this is a VFR fly'ers dream sim.  It does not need to be 'this or that' sim ownership.  To not have this sim (for the reasonable cost of the sim and the DLC) to your availability, is quite the shame.  You are missing out, on a very unique flight envelope and experience. 

I now know, that this sim does NOT compete with either FSX/P3D, or XP.  It doesn't need to...it is not designed to. It is designed to be flat-out fun, and draw you in in its immersion.

Let's put it this way. If you were a lucky enough person in real life, that you'd have the funds, and time to hop into your Baron, or Cessna, or King Air...and just fly for a few hours, or...go visit your friends a state or two away...this is the sim for you. It will do the job like no other.  

Closing thoughts.   This is not FSX. This not P3D, This is not XP.  This is Aerofly FS-2...and doesn't stand in anybody's shadow.

I still will fly regularly, FS9,FSX,P3D, XP..and now have a fabulous VFR flight sim to add to the 'flight hangar'----Aerofly FS-2

Cheers,

With the interest generated by this thread, I please request that the mods create a Aerofly FS v.X Forum

There will be many hours of topics and discussion as this sim advances, and matures.

So, can we please have this taken out of the Hangar Forum, and placed into its own pervue.

Thanks,

The O.P.

• Upvote 1

So many different impressions of the sim. Two people look and see exactly opposite things.

But then.....

What else is new? We is flight simmers!

(Language warning: The Disabled Gamer is a bit spicy!)

Also the vid is practically a 2 hour epic.  :Party:

Devons rig

As you may have heard, Ipacs has released an SDK for Aerofly FS 2.

Among other goodies is a fully working DR400 with all sources and with cold and dark settings. It requires very little to get it up and working in the sim, and I consider it a nice little bonus.

Pics of the little thing and I over the desert......... at 500+ FPS  :wink:

Frames lower left corner (click to expand)

K2DUDm.jpg

BEOG1U.jpg

5wjAzJ.jpg

Devons rig

As you may have heard, Ipacs has released an SDK for Aerofly FS 2.

Among other goodies is a fully working DR400 with all sources and with cold and dark settings. It requires very little to get it up and working in the sim, and I consider it a nice little bonus.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase Aerofly FS2 last night.    I'm not disappointed. :smile:

Like (most) others, I am pretty blown away by most aspects of the visuals; particularly the native lighting/bloom, clouds and (in most cases) the scenery.

Even with it's somewhat limited feature set at this point, it's a fantastically immersive and enjoyable experience.

HiFlyer - thanks for the HU about the SDK and the DR400.   :smile:

Personally, I think what AF FS2 needs next is some rain!  Moving road traffic would bring the ortho imagery to life too, but I'd guess that's a long way off as the sim isn't using road / vector data - just imagery (and pretty stunning imagery in most cases).

One question - I could not get the C172 to follow the "GPS" (pre-planned route) when I pressed the NAV button. It seemed to be selecting radio navigation only, and I noticed the GPS/NAV button isn't functional.   Other aircrafts are following the GPS NAV - it's just the C172 that I had this issue with, any clues?

But yeah....... overall, I love it!

• Upvote 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

One question - I could not get the C172 to follow the "GPS" (pre-planned route) when I pressed the NAV button. It seemed to be selecting radio navigation only, and I noticed the GPS/NAV button isn't functional.   Other aircrafts are following the GPS NAV - it's just the C172 that I had this issue with, any clues?

Its being worked on. Jan (one of the developers) says hes waiting for the proper system hooks.

Devons rig

Its being worked on. Jan (one of the developers) says hes waiting for the proper system hooks.

Cheers.

All up and running with the SDK.  This little DR400 rocks!  It looks a lot like the Aerosoft version for FSX.  I wonder if that's the basis of the model that is being converted, by the Aircraft Converter ?

I have to say, this is the sim I'm most excited about in terms of development going forward.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)