Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

38 minutes ago, John V. stated there will be NO X-Plane Orbx development

Personally, I'm glad to hear this. I've never been a fan of X-Plane - the scenery just looks unrealistic and strange in my opinion, not to mention the fact that it lacks a lot of features that FSX has, and I'm glad ORBX won't be wasting time developing for this platform.

The future of flight simulation lies with P3D and DTG simulation platforms.

Dave

I can only imagine your surprise how unrealistically real world look through the cockpit of real airplane comparing with P3D and DTG :)

• Upvote 21

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

But he wants to instead to release products for AFS2, which has a tiny user base, not even real airplanes to fly yet, and has a scenery engine dependent on photo scenery. While some people like that, it limits what you can do with autogen and lighting to fill out the world.

Other developers have been successful at implementing autogen in FSX/P3D. Look at France VFR. I see no reason why IPACS will not be capable of delivering a good quality autogen system, and if they do the same with ATC and AI planes, well.......the sky is the limit for AeroFly FS2.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

as a few of you have said, i have no interest in buying from orbx anymore in the future anyway, when paypal was removed as a payment method, that was it for me. i wish the orbx team all the best. i haven't used their software in 6 months as it is.if jv was trying to trick people to his site, thats dirty. oh well. he has made some bad decisions and only his main group of supporters will continue to buy from him, thats not very many people.

• Upvote 2

After seeing the drama unfold on their Facebook group from Austin, I can't say I'm surprised this happened. 

• Upvote 2

Hmmm, I have to note a sense of weary disappointment at this. In the absence of any meaningful explanation it does seem possible that the 'thick-skinned, straight-talking' JV might have thrown his toys out of the pram because of Austin's comments. Two weeks is not a meaningful R&D time investment.

Although the baked in roads etc. clearly wouldn't have worked with XP, I do think there was room for their artists to make considerable improvements to default textures / assets in terms of regional and seasonal variations. Looks like we're stuck with perma-summer, temperate zone trees and US / German buildings all over the world for a while yet :sad:

• Upvote 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Although the baked in roads etc. clearly wouldn't have worked with XP, I do think there was room for their artists to make considerable improvements to default textures / assets in terms of regional and seasonal variations. Looks like we're stuck with perma-summer, temperate zone trees and US / German buildings all over the world for a while yet :sad:

With regard to seasons, look at it this way. We know XP11 can look fantastic with texture overlay for snow, like the winter version of Beti-X Bella Coola. The market is here, itching to spend money on a good worldwide winter add-on. So I think we'll see something like this very soon.

Meanwhile, if Austin manages to get his version of procedural/particle weather into the sim at some point -- complete with snow blowing over the runway, trees changing color and dropping leaves with the seasons -- it's probably something that wouldn't be compatible with whatever Orbx would do anyway. I'm looking for that in maybe XP12, since it would be a massive selling point. 

• Upvote 8

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

LOL

So it was just a marketing trick to create traffic to their site...

They surely don't need any additional traffic. They've much already!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Honestly, this guy has become a real joke in recent month. But let's face it. Who needs that Orbx stuff in XP anyways? With this poor attitude he is just giving me more and more reasons not to spend any more money on Orbx stuff... Bye, bye Orbx...

• Upvote 13

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

This is certainly an interesting thread. Makes X-Plane all the more interesting to me! All the momentum seems to be with Austin and his team. The fact that so many of my long term friends are already on board is also accumulatively persuasive.

Met up with a dedicated local long term X-planer yesterday at A&W for a root beer. The longer P3D and Nvidia ignore how they broke SLI, the itchier my feet are becoming. If I am going to be forced to go single GPU, it might as well be with a new X-plane 11 build. Still not my dream world, but my attention is wandering.

I want to have a perfected reliable ORBX world within P3D, but I know one thing, I am not enthusiastic to repurchase thousands of dollars worth of scenery I already enjoyed on FSX and P3D, and will not opt for AeroFly. Therefore, if push comes to shove and I need a fresh start, I'll likely go with the flow over to X-Plane 11 too.

Torn in various directions, so will let the dust settle a bit. However, I already have X-Plane 10 fully updated as a back up to practise on, so, so, so...

Kind regards,

• Upvote 6

not to mention the fact that it lacks a lot of features that FSX has

Is that a fact?, enlighten me then.

What world are you living in?

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

like i said when this project x was mentioned i dont really think we need it. ortho and mesh v3 is good enough for me!! 

• Upvote 3

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

One word: egos.

Much they have achieved and skilful though they are, the little I know of JV & AM doesn't paint either in a favourable light. And now both seem happy to hurt their own business's potential over some petty dispute.

I'd like to believe all this will blow over but I think it's more likely to smoulder on as a game of one-downmanship. Anyone care to give the rest of us the gist of the "drama" that unfolded between them?

• Upvote 12

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

After seeing the drama unfold on their Facebook group from Austin, I can't say I'm surprised this happened. 

I haven't seen anything like that on their facebook, care to post a link of this "trolling"

Two grown &@($* businessmen can't get along? One pokes fun and the other takes his marbles and goes home. Pathetic on both accounts to say the least.

• Upvote 4

Not surprised given Austin's comments on Facebook. He just couldn't hold back his "I told you so!" tone regarding some comments made years ago by ORBX?

ORBX probably didn't see a productive relationship with a strong personality like Austin.

Guess that's one of the drawbacks of X-plane - we users will have to keep in mind at the end of the day Austin controls everything and unlike a regular company that reports to a board etc. Austin doesn't need to answer to anyone.

It's too bad because we as consumers will be the losers for this personality clash by not bringing on board a top-notch developer to the platform (personality issues aside).

Frankly all of this drama could have been avoided by Austin simply saying "Welcome onboard even if it took you a while. Look forward to working together"

• Upvote 11

Well, x-Plane can do without them. But competition is always good.

Anyway, we can all agree this is not a technical issue and likely some problems between John and Austin :P

Still guys, don't bash Aerofly nor its few developers. What they managed to achieve with their resources is amazing and nice

• Upvote 4

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."