soloraj

FSW Free for Flight School Users

wooohooo

From the Flight School Facebook Page

"Following the announcement of Flight Sim World earlier this week, we would like to take a quick moment to thank the virtual pilots who have stuck with us over the course of the past year.

As a way of showing our appreciation for your support, we will be gifting a copy of Flight Sim World to everyone who invested in Flight School. We can't wait to welcome you aboard!"

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I give it 10 posts before someone finds something to complain about :dry:

• Upvote 4

Not a complaint but cynical me wonders if I'll need to pay for the finished version of FSW? I'll be delighted to be proved wrong but that's my suspicion.

All that said I do really appreciate DTG letting me have the EA version for free as I thought they might just offer a discounted version of the EA FSW.

1 hour ago, soloraj said:

I give it 10 posts before someone finds something to complain about :dry:

It was 1!!!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sunjunkiesi said:

It was 1!!!

If you're talking about my post I specifically state "Not a complaint" at the start of my post and it wasn't meant to be a complaint. :angry:

That is a very nice offer, guys. I did not purchase Flight School, but I am still impressed with the generosity.

This is an obnoxiously obvious and entirely evil move to trick us into buying more DLC. /s

3 hours ago, DTG_Cryss said:

If you have Flight Sim World in Early Access, you'll have FSW beyond it too @SamYeager

Wow, that is terrific.  Thanks, DTG! :biggrin:

4 hours ago, DTG_Cryss said:

If you have Flight Sim World in Early Access, you'll have FSW beyond it too @SamYeager

Thank you very much for the clarification Cryss. I'm even more appreciative of DTG's gesture now.

10 hours ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

Really? What's the catch? LOL.

They'll make most of their revenue from DLC sales. The more people who own FSW, the more potential customers.

11 hours ago, fsxkitty said:

They'll make most of their revenue from DLC sales. The more people who own FSW, the more potential customers.

True...but it all depends on the dlc/addons for sale. If devs like flightbeam, flyTampa, fsdreamteam, PMDG and many other we have come to love do not support the sim I do not see FSW being successful. 

What most people seem to forget is that all the various devs we have "come to know and love" came about in the first place as a result of a fairly terrible base game.  Why would anyone spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, if the base game is good to start with.  

If DTG can make the basic game close to the quality of FSX or P3D with our beloved addons, then they will sell a truckload of them, I suspect.  And I'm willing to bet that how close they have to get to entice people to buy isn't all that very close at all.  Many people may opt for a $50 pretty good sim, rather than a $50 fairly crappy sim + $1000 of addons.  

If FSX weren't 10 years old, and we all didn't add to it $50 at a time, then I suspect no one would buy it.  I wonder how many copies of P3D have sold to people that don't already have FSX and a lot of addons.  

On 2017-5-7 at 4:40 AM, CaribbeanCLANK said:

Really? What's the catch? LOL.

3rd party developers with high costs (i.e. full time staff creating high quality and complex add-ons) won't distribute thier products on Steam due to reduce revenue, so will be excluded from FSW.  Unless DTG has plans to devleop FlyTampa level scenery or PMDG sophistication we're going to have a very limited platform in FSW.

Again, people are basing their thinking on a model in which the base game is kaput and developers necessarily develop after the fact and must sell separately. As we can see, several big developers are working with DTG since the sim itself is in ongoing development. There are numerous business models possible now not possible in FSX. 

LM, for whatever reason, decided to stick with the de facto model of FSX, offering basically an updated version of FSX with some efforts to ensure addon compatibility (not without a fair bit of hoop jumping for 3rd parties). 

Developers can, it seems, sell or license their tech directly to DTG for inclusion in the sim itself. At least some devs are clearly finding this an appealing option. 

All this hand wringing because the model of interaction between developers is changing!  We can't have new and everything remain the same. That's wanting two opposite things at the same time.