regis9

What does FSW do that other sims don't?

Hello, I've been reading through this forum, both the positive and negative feedback, and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around what FSW does better (or has the potential to do better) than say P3Dv3 other than being 64 bit, which most of us assume will happen with P3Dv4.  Windshield rain looks cool, but that's not enough on its own.  

In short if I'm happy with P3Dv3, and likely will be more so with v4, what does FSW offer me?  Where does FSW fit in the flightsim market?  Maybe it is more for casual users and it's not meant for me, if so fair enough.

I get that it's vanilla right now, and my P3D is heavily added on to, but even as a base sim, it's not clear what the advantages are of FSW.

I'm not looking to bash FSW, just genuinely curious and wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks

Dave

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Direct answer to the title:

Does not run out of VAS.

_______

The end

• Upvote 1

64bit. That's it!

Vanilla FSX is so far ahead in features that it's amazing that FSW is being labeled a modern sim. Ludicrous!

Rain on the windscreen

8 minutes ago, DJJose said:

64bit. That's it!

Vanilla FSX is so far ahead in features that it's amazing that FSW is being labeled a modern sim. Ludicrous!

Why not wait until is a complete product (whenever that is) before comparing it? 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Rain on the windscreen

That's a feature that many devs added to their payware planes for FSX. Nothing new there.

Check out Lotus sim L39, Realair's Duke, and Bay Tower's RV 7. They have some of the best VC rain effects for FSX.

Edited by DJJose

14 minutes ago, frankielera said:

Why not wait until is a complete product (whenever that is) before comparing it? 

Maybe your familiar with the long threads created by DTG asking the community for feedback only to release an incomplete beta game.

Now they want more feedback. Since I did not contribute back then, I'm doing it now.

Is that ok with you?

• Upvote 2

because it's all about the money. company has to make profits won't they ? big 3rd party companies like

PMDG and Aerosoft may or won't be joining FSW, because they feel they won't need it.  They are making enough profit going by

independence,without joining FSW.   however,  once many simmers starts to convert to FSW,

pmdg and aerosoft will start to make planes for FSW.  time will tell. 

Edited by flyalways

1 minute ago, DJJose said:

....Now they want more feedback. Since I did not contribute back then, I'm doing it now.

Is that ok with you?

Why not do it a more appropriate thread rather than hijack this one?

Andy L

10 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Why not do it a more appropriate thread rather than hijack this one?

Andy L

I answered a question. Why not stop trolling?

Edited by DJJose

17 minutes ago, flyalways said:

because it's all about the money. company has to make profits won't they ? big 3rd party companies like

PMDG and Aerosoft may or won't be joining FSW, because they feel they won't need it.  They are making enough profit going by

independence,without joining FSW.   however,  once many simmers starts to convert to FSW,

pmdg and aerosoft will start to make planes for FSW.  time will tell. 

"Many simmers converting to FSW", I think you have a long wait for that to happen.  

26 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Maybe your familiar with the long threads created by DTG asking the community for feedback only to release an incomplete beta game.

Now they want more feedback. Since I did not contribute back then, I'm doing it now.

Is that ok with you?

If this was the "final product", I'd agree with you but it's not.

3 minutes ago, frankielera said:

If this was the "final product", I'd agree with you but it's not.

If your confident that DTG is going to listen to our suggestions, then you can wait and see. Based on what I've seen so far, I'm not. Sorry about that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DJJose said:

If your confident that DTG is going to listen to our suggestions, then you can wait and see. Based on what I've seen so far, I'm not. Sorry about that.

I had some issues with a few  Train Sim add on's that were brand new, and certain functions didn't work properly. I found modifications that I did to get them to work, and sent them to DTG and also posted on their forums. A year later, those items were still not fixed by DTG. This is the way they do business. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

That's a feature that many devs added to their payware planes for FSX. Nothing new there.

Check out Lotus sim L39, Realair's Duke, and Bay Tower's RV 7. They have some of the best VC rain effects for FSX.

Except all three of those developers are no longer in business, and the RV-7 doesn't work in current versions of P3D. 

This thread veered off rather rapidly. To answer the OP, from what I can tell from my time n the sim so far, you've gotten pretty much the full answer: 64-bit and raindrops. There are many frustrating omissions in the sim so far. We will have to see what gets added and fixed. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Add me too, you won't like my opinions either....

You may end up there eventually but I don't have a problem with people's contrary opinions, just the ones who are going out of their way to be obnoxious about it.

• Upvote 2

We are all allowed to share our opinions, and that's the beauty of this forum. Could we please keep it that way?

If you're upset about what someone has said, then keep it to yourself and suck it up - there's no need to insult each other. It just makes it worse for everyone.

Thank you.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, KavindaJD said:

Could we please keep it that way?

++1

The only thing I'm certain about is DTG better treat 3rd party developers like gold or this sim is going to crash and burn. Pucker up. ☺

4 minutes ago, MrSpeaker said:

The only thing I'm certain about is DTG better treat 3rd party developers like gold or this sim is going to crash and burn. Pucker up. ☺

You mean like ORBX & A2A ? 

• Upvote 1

All I can do is shake my head at this community sometimes. Vitriol is contagious and self defeating. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

Hello, I've been reading through this forum, both the positive and negative feedback, and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around what FSW does better (or has the potential to do better) than say P3Dv3 other than being 64 bit, which most of us assume will happen with P3Dv4.  Windshield rain looks cool, but that's not enough on its own.  

Dave

Hi Dave, DTG is in early access. A pretty long list of features are still missing, several flaws (to put it mildly) need to be corrected or at least optimized to an acceptable level and, first of all, serious issues with third-party developers need to be sorted out. Nonetheless, yes, there are positive aspects who go well beyond raindrops. Despite reports to the contrary, my tests at full resolution and LOD 6.500000 (the last one this morning over Manhattan) showed a pretty good stability and smoothness, something that I achieved in FSX-SE 32 only after a lot of tweaking and, of course, not without the risk of an OOM. I have noticed a very low or negligible level of popping and blurries compared to FSX-SE 32, but I read reports from people complaining about this (hard to tell here, possibly the reason depends on the hardware, the configuration and the resolution used, too early to draw conclusions). Moreover, all tests confirm so far that a significant part of the load is now transferred to the GPU instead of on the CPU, which is another great benefit along with 64-bit.

To put it short. It's all about your expectations, your readiness to wait for developments and, above all, how much you're ready to spend for this hobby. Yes, there is potential and room for optimization. If, how and when DTG will be able to provide a complete simulator with a decent level of quality and features, though, is still unclear. P3Dv4 is rumoured to be released sometime this year at 64-bit. I have no idea what they're doing with it, but, given their record and the fact it is already a mature product, I think it's safe to speculate that it will be a complete product. If you are OK with their price and their license policy, maybe that's the way you should go. Or, as an alternative, you might consider X-Plane11 and meanwhile keep an eye open on FSW developements.
Hope this helps.

Edited by barrel_owl
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

In short if I'm happy with P3Dv3, and likely will be more so with v4, what does FSW offer me?  Where does FSW fit in the flightsim market?  Maybe it is more for casual users and it's not meant for me, if so fair enough.

I get that it's vanilla right now, and my P3D is heavily added on to, but even as a base sim, it's not clear what the advantages are of FSW.

I'm not looking to bash FSW, just genuinely curious and wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks

Dave

Not much. 

1 hour ago, frankielera said:

You mean like ORBX & A2A ? 

If you think interacting with only 3 developers (OrbX, A2A, Carenado) is enough to sustain their product, well... don't expect FSW to last long then.  Flight Sim itself lasted because of the plethora of developers both commercial and freeware.  It did not last because of a select few that got paid directly by the sim developer.

• Upvote 1