SamYeager

Pro Mission Editor?

Has anyone managed to get hold of it yet? I've checked numerous times over the last couple of days on different systems and made sure to restart the steam client as well and had no joy finding it under Library->Tools.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I checked this morning and it's still not there...

25 minutes ago, fshobby said:

I checked this morning and it's still not there...

LIBRARY  --> TOOLS  -->  Flight Sim World: Pro Mission Tool

install......

I also checked this morning ( library/tools) and its definitely not there at the moment.  I check for a Steam update and re-started the Steam client and it's still absent. I saw somewhere that DTG thought it may be something to do with Windows 10 Insider Preview however I'm running Windows 10 Home.

24 minutes ago, torium said:

LIBRARY  --> TOOLS  -->  Flight Sim World: Pro Mission Tool

install......

Thanks I know this. It's not showing up in Library -> TOOLS for some subset of people.

Not for me either. I don't run Insider either. I wonder if it has to do with me getting it gifted for Flight School.

14 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Yes it showed up yesterday

Thx for the info. Interesting you're in the UK and could see it since I am in the UK as well.

Is it the editor any good?

As I said in the other thread I can't get it to work.  The manual isn't any help as it's only a placeholder at the moment.

Not showing up in my tools list either. In the USA.

Cryss responded in the Dovetail forums and suggested opening a ticket: https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

I already filed a bug using the bug reporting form but since that didn't get a response maybe opening a ticket will help.

• Upvote 1

Thanks fshobby, I was literally about to say the same thing! 

So, is this tool supposed to be available/ I don't see it on Steam. This is on Windows 7 in case that has any bearing on matters since some people mention Win 10 might have a effect on matters.

Well, I have Windows 10 and no Pro mission editor. Already rised ticket.

I checked again this morning. Still no Pro Mission Editor in my Steam tools list.

I've been checking for it periodically, no sign of it for me. I guess it'll turn up eventually.

At long last it appeared this morning in my steam library. As other people reported, there are a bunch of error dialogs on startup about not being able to locate FSW install location and a lots of other files. I got some of the errors to go away by copying the propdefs folder from FSW into the mission editor folder. There is a preferences dialog that displays some relevant paths (two of which point at my FSX folders LOL). These paths don't seem to be editable, and the FSW path is blank. I poked around in regedit but could not find anything to fix there.

I had a ticket already opened so I reported all the errors in the ticket. I'll follow up if I make any progress.

I'm wondering if this is based on Jim Keir's FSX Mission Editor, if so the manual for that product might be of help given the lack of documentation.

1 hour ago, fshobby said:

I'm wondering if this is based on Jim Keir's FSX Mission Editor...

Yes, it looks identical...

Same here, it will install but triggers lots of errors when you crank it up, preferences want to point at where FSW is but I cannot type or paste in the correct path and it also wants to know where the SDK is, which might be another problem since I understand there isn't one available yet. I assume this will be sorted but I'm not sure why they have made it available to install if it cannot be made to work at this point.

I think the only thing mission editor wants the SDK for is to get at bglcomp.exe for compiling reward files. Installing the P3D v1.4 SDK will give you a working bglcomp but I don't know if the mission editor would find it automatically. In any case the reward file is a separate thing and easy enough to create manually. The other tool from the SDK is the simprop compiler to turn the mission xml file into an spb file but I imagine most people don't bother. I think once we get the FSW path issue sorted it should be possible to get started.

It just showed up for me in tools as well.

Those warning messages are for features I suspect they will release later. They probably stripped them out until they get the final features in.

I agree that without a manual, it is tough to use.

I think I've sorted out the error messages.

First, the mission editor is looking for the following windows registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Dovetail Games\Flight Simulator\1.0]

And under that key, a string value pointing to the FSW install folder is needed:

"AppPath"="F:\\SteamLibrary\\steamapps\\common\\FSW\\"

F:\SteamLibrary is where I installed FSW, you'd need to change the value to your FSW install location. You can add the above using regedit.

In addition it looks for Scenery.cfg under "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games\DFS"

Note that instead of DFS it should be FSW.

I did the following at a command prompt:

cd "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games"

mklink /j DFS FSW

This makes a link called "DFS" that is aliased to FSW. This is better than copying the folder in case the FSW contents changes. Note that a regular desktop shortcut will not work.

WIth the above changes I can start the mission editor successfully.

• Upvote 1

Just FYI it looks like if the tool saves or loads flight or weather files, it will use the "Flight Simulator X Files" folder in My Documents, which is wrong.

Personally, I think I'm just going to wait until it can install correctly via a Steam download or whatever. I'll be interested to see it in action and have a play with it, but I'm not in any particular rush to do that.

Yup, it's not worth messing around with registry edits if you're in no big rush. I sent the above info to DTG, I'm sure it's a trivial change to use the correct registry entries/folders and they'll have that fixed soon.

• Upvote 1