Sign in to follow this  
SmokeDiddy

A word to the wise...

So with the imminent release of P3Dv4 and A2A having announced full support of their products into the new release on day 1, I want to know why we're not seeing similar announcements for FSW that 3PP devs are supporting FSW.  If DTG thinks for one minute that I'm going to wait and see, they have another thing coming.  I spent my $25 on the sim to show my support, but when the guy down the street is releasing his product and getting 3PP support from day one, that sends me a very strong message indeed.  So let this be a warning shot over the bow of the FSW ship.  I don't think I am alone in this because I think it's safe to say we will go where there is 3PP support is at....just saying.

• Upvote 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

15 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

So with the imminent release of P3Dv4 and A2A having announced full support of their products into the new release on day 1, I want to know why we're not seeing similar announcements for FSW that 3PP devs are supporting FSW.  If DTG thinks for one minute that I'm going to wait and see, they have another thing coming.  I spent my $25 on the sim to show my support, but when the guy down the street is releasing his product and getting 3PP support from day one, that sends me a very strong message indeed.  So let this be a warning shot over the bow of the FSW ship.  I don't think I am alone in this because I think it's safe to say we will go where there is 3PP support is at....just saying.

I believe it is a little to early to be making assumptions or presumptions about what DTG has planned or who/will they have teamed up with.  We are currently within an early access phase with FSW, whereas the recently announced P3D v4 is an RTM.  These are two different scenarios playing out right now, so given a little time and patience, I am sure further news will be emerging.  Let's not forget that the upcoming FlightSimCon will be held in June, so perhaps DTG will make further announcements at that time.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

13 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

So let this be a warning shot over the bow of the FSW ship.  I don't think I am alone in this because I think it's safe to say we will go where there is 3PP support is at....just saying.

I think you will have several lines of thinking regarding your post. Sure, there will be some who want 3rd party support and will move to the sim that offers it. But, there will be others who are fine with what DTG has to offer stock.

Avsim seems to have the more serious simmers, but this demographic is not what makes up the Steam consumer base.

There will be users looking to fire up a sim and fly (quick and easy) without much hassle. I think that FSW offers that experience and will be able to attract a less demanding consumer base. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

There are numerous third part developers who have announced they will be supporting it, but no company is under any obligation to keep you or I personally informed of their business strategies, the fact that some do not do so is not indicative that such busineses are not brokering deals. And I can guarantee you that they are indeed doing that.

You are aware too, that FSW even has an A2A product built into it are you not? One can hardly imagine A2A coming to an arrangement like that with DTG if they were not interested in dealing with them. Similarly, Carenado are on board with content, as is Orbx and a number of others who have provided content for FSW are as well. I'm not gonna list them all here, as that info is kicking around. Moreover, if you actually take the time to think about it for more than a microsecond, pretty much every developer who is selling stuff via Steam for DTG's FSX-SE quite evidently came to a mutually beneficial arrangement with DTG to sell their products for a DTG sim, so why would they suddenly not want to do that for another one? And it would take far too long to list all of those developers here too. Steam has 125 million registered users, what kind of a dumb &@($* third party developer is not going to want exposure to a potential customer base that size without the need to spend a single cent on advertising or maintaining a download server for such content etc?

Additionally, DTG are one the biggest sellers of DLC on Steam, the notion that they have not thought about this, or don't know how to come up with deals with third party developers, or cannot sell additional content, is frankly preposterous. I'll bet anyone any amount of money they care to mention that third party developers will be all over FSW from day one of release, and to reiterate the notion that A2A won't be involved, I suspect that the, conspicuous by its absence, Cessna 172 in FSW, when pretty much every flight sim ever has featured one, is indicative that A2A will be covering that when it goes to a full release, because that would be an absolute no brainer business move and A2A are no slouches when it comes to business.

Many third party developers, particularly those without the means for a massive advertising budget, will have reached an impasse with sales of their products which have been around for a while, FSW and Steam is the perfect opportunity to re-ignite sales interst in such products and ensure those who like flight sims but who do not frequent places such as Avsim, where news of products abounds, will be aware of what is about. Developers may have to have DTG and Steam take a cut depending on the deal they work out, but 100 percent of no sales is definitely worse than a smaller percentage of potentially vast new sales. That's just simple common sense economics.

Like those of DTG's train sims, FSW's third party sales figures will almost certainly be stratospherically massive.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have personally contacted some developers who are in fact happy to support FSW. Problem is, there is very little they can do as long as the product is in Early Access and without an SDK. DTG is working on a lot of things and obviously it makes no sense for a developer to invest time at this point for something that will probably be changed later. 
In other words: you will have to be patient.

As chock said, there is already 3rd party involvement. It's part of OrbX's project roadmap too.

There are a few developers who don't want to support FSX but there playing with fire if LM decides to enforce eulas and pull the rug out from most of the user base.

In this time of rapid change in the sim business, Orbx is smart in that it is working on almost every platform including small ones like aerofly. The exception is XP11, which has always had a lot of trouble attracting third party developers.

Seems rather obvious that P3D is quite mature now with a very good user base so of course there will be immediate support for 3PDs.  But go back to P3D V1.4 and even V2.X days and the scene was quite different. 

Well FSW are not even at P3D V1.4 stage even. Far too early to see how it develops. Once things get ironed out and we see what kind of foundation gets molded from DTG, and how cooperative they are with devs, then you will likely see quicker announcements IMO

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

For me it is very simple...

In the aspect that really matters the most for me in the very first place - innovative flight and systems modelling, World coverage with accurate lighting and Moon phase based on date - both P3Dv4 and DRG FSW offer exactly the same.

For the PC I have I would certainly continue to tune down considerably the bells and whistles offered by the graphics options in P3Dv4, including shadows and hdr which I always disable in all but Aerofly FS2, and IL.2 Battle of... so...

I will stay fine with DTG FSW if not for other reason, for the fact that it'll cost me a lot less, and with time I believe some really interesting add-ons will become available.

Of course I would like to see A2A aircraft already being announced as available for FSW, but I can wait - no stress!

FSW gives me pretty much everything I would use in P3Dv4 for 1 / 6 th of the cost ! not to count the fact that most 3pds sell their P3D-ready at higher prices, so....

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I don't know why you would even post this. Why post a new topic just to take another shot at DTG.  Having purchased FSW, then you would have to know (as this is clearly stated on Steam, DTG, and Avsim that this is an early release product.. It has only been release for one week so how do you know what 3rd party vendors are on board?  How about being patient. But if you want to go to P3D then that's your prerogative.

We don't need another one of these topics

• Upvote 4

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals