MehdiAli

Positive and Negative points on V4

So i created a video, and i hope you decide on weather you are going to buy it or not. personally i feel it isnt worth about $60 but around 45, there isnt much improvement otehr than 64bit- i understand that this is what we wanted as a FS community for such a long time but i guess its just my opinion. Enjoy :D And if you have any Constructive critisism (i know i spelt that wrong) then feel freee to drop it down below or in the video's comment section. Thanks Mehdi

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

64 bit is a good start for the p3d franchise. Hoping it will get a consistent face lift slowly but surely through the interim updates Lockheed usually provides.

• Upvote 2

I think we would see the most improvement once add-on developers get used to the new SDK. I am excited on what they can come up with when they focus solely on 64bit without constraints.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

64 bit is a good start for the p3d franchise. Hoping it will get a consistent face lift slowly but surely through the interim updates Lockheed usually provides.

That would be completely all right, if this updates are provided for the v4. I think the community is not going to buy any time a version 5,6 or 7 of P3D for 60 bugs again, and are satisfied with small updates. Just think about a flightsimmer who buys every version. To this present time he would have spend around 240 bugs for a flight simulator that is still the same engine as FSX uses. Bad English, sorry, I am tired. :-)

But I am glad, we've 64-bit now. I just hope that - when the addons are out - it will be a significant change when it comes to performance.

MehdiAli,

Just a couple of comments.  

I would like to point out that when FSW was asking the community what they wanted in the be all next Generation flight simulator platform, most of the community registered the comment that they wanted a 64bit platform. I believe that most thought that once they had that, the addon developers (3PD) would add some incredibly good finishing touches.  We actually got something with a lot of potential but something far from the majority wants. An early access programme which was, in many respects a retrograde step. Again, early access but with potential.

Lockheed Martin, in total contrast, consulted with nobody other than 3PD, obviously listened to the general comments and supplied exactly what people were asking for with FSW. It is undeniably 64bit FSX with some improvements. Most of the addon developers are now feverishy working on updates and if LM leave this platform in its existing state, I will eat the crotch out of anybodies nightie LOL. I believe that this is a far cry from what LM  will  be offering in 12 months time or even sooner.

Your oft repeated comments regarding the negligible difference from FSX  are quite right but I feel it MAY be a little unfair in some ways.

I will probably buy both in the long term but I have to admit that P3D is, even right now, a MUST HAVE whilst FSW is not on the radar until it is a complete platform with many many more addon developers on board.

The fact remains that at the moment we are in flight sim heaven and I am, for one, loving it.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

I have no wish to reignite the FSW/P3D war of words and simply, in my own inept way, 

• Upvote 3

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, himmelhorse said:

The fact remains that at the moment we are in flight sim heaven and I am, for one, loving it.

+1

36 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

MehdiAli,

Just a couple of comments.  

I would like to point out that when FSW was asking the community what they wanted in the be all next Generation flight simulator platform, most of the community registered the comment that they wanted a 64bit platform. I believe that most thought that once they had that, the addon developers (3PD) would add some incredibly good finishing touches.  We actually got something with a lot of potential but something far from the majority wants. An early access programme which was, in many respects a retrograde step. Again, early access but with potential.

Lockheed Martin, in total contrast, consulted with nobody other than 3PD, obviously listened to the general comments and supplied exactly what people were asking for with FSW. It is undeniably 64bit FSX with some improvements. Most of the addon developers are now feverishy working on updates and if LM leave this platform in its existing state, I will eat the crotch out of anybodies nightie LOL. I believe that this is a far cry from what LM  will  be offering in 12 months time or even sooner.

Your oft repeated comments regarding the negligible difference from FSX  are quite right but I feel it MAY be a little unfair in some ways.

I will probably buy both in the long term but I have to admit that P3D is, even right now, a MUST HAVE whilst FSW is not on the radar until it is a complete platform with many many more addon developers on board.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

I have no wish to reignite the FSW/P3D war of words and simply, in my own inept way, 

Yep completely agree with you on that. However In a way LM must have spoken to the general audience, if you think about it, 3PD must have spoken to the audience to find out what current needs are etc. And therefore the information was transferred to LM.

Regarding FSW I feel that it has a bit of potential, most simmers use LM since they are able to deliver and do what the simmers have been asking. From what I have heard ( I have only bought FSX:SE from dovetails) it isn't as good as thought when released (regarding Flight school) and since FSW is in early access I can't really say much at the moment. Thanks Mehdi :)

64 bit is where it's at. It's where this franchise should have been a couple of years ago but since people were buying and developing for the mediocre 32 bit platform we were satisfied with mediocrity. Now the platform actually has room to grow in quality and depth of content and the customers can turn up their settings and fill their world with richness and depth without having to worry about OOMs. It's long overdue and pining for yesterday's thing is not something that beckons me in the least when it comes to this platform or any simulation or game for that matter.

• Upvote 2

Mehdi,

Think Industrial Sabotage mate.  LOL

Actually, I believe that LM have been working on this 64bit thing for a lot longer than FSW. However, I also believe that they were watching all the DTG comments which were not secrets anyway, and, unlike DTG, actually acted on the comments supplied.

The end result was a platform that was infinitely more usable and professional from the release date, P3D complete and FSW early access. I said, however, that P3D in 12 months will be completely different and to be fair,, so will FSW (at least I hope so)

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

1 hour ago, MehdiAli said:

So i created a video, and i hope you decide on weather you are going to buy it or not. personally i feel it isnt worth about $60 but around 45, there isnt much improvement otehr than 64bit- i understand that this is what we wanted as a FS community for such a long time but i guess its just my opinion. Enjoy :D And if you have any Constructive critisism (i know i spelt that wrong) then feel freee to drop it down below or in the video's comment section. Thanks Mehdi

Where is that  the desert

People here are only looking at the visual, not the product. It is a completely wrong statement that it is x64 FSX. A lot of code has been rewritten. Look how stable t is now, also much better on using computers resources. You can run FSX very well on GTX 295, which is not nearly enough for P3D today. I do not know what LM intends to do in the future, but if they had added a lot of eye candy on the old code, I can promise you that most of people would gladly sacrifice x64 to fix other issues.

It is good that people here are keeping requesting and point out the bad things so it can be fixed, but you need also remember that there are companies that pay far more than $200 for it, and their priorities are more important to LM than someone with academic license.

• Upvote 2

Well.... LM delievers what people demanded for years. And yet I see whining in almost every thread "how bad v4 is".

LMAO

• Upvote 5

Well is your glass half full or half empty? If I live to be a hundred I don't think I will ever understand the modern mindset! And I'm certain that if a publisher ever delivered the perfect product some people would still complain. Personally I think v4 is an incredible step forward, and, will only get better as time goes on. Without a doubt P3D v4 has taken the top spot as the  best simulator.

• Upvote 4

- 64 bit

- load better devided over cpu cores

- more load on the gpu

- improved lighting

- autogen till the horizon

- improved perciperation

- most existing addons already work

- free upgrades from multiple developers

I see no negative things ....

• Upvote 11

33 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Well.... LM delievers what people demanded for years. And yet I see whining in almost every thread "how bad v4 is".

LMAO

indeed, and the videos being posted of v4 so far are appallingly made

terrible video captures that seem to show the sim running at 10FPS, default scenery and planes, wild panning from side to side, visible neon pink start menu (dude seriously! :biggrin: )

the base platform is an incremental step up from P3D v3, and that's all that was needed. the big change was the architecture going from x86 to x64

does anyone look at fully modded v3 and say it looks terrible? does anyone look at the default v3 and say it looks amazing?

v4 can only be judged once all the big addons are ready

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, XMAN said:

Where is that  the desert

I think it's Dubai. 

I go there every winter, it's my favourite ski resort.

Stu

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

Well.... LM delievers what people demanded for years. And yet I see whining in almost every thread "how bad v4 is"

+1 yes the moaning is getting boring,both DTG and LM have built good 64 bit sims which are just a starting positions to take flight simming forward,if I remember correctly that's what was repeatedly being asked for,there was a vid on AirdailyX last week where a numbers of well known and seemingly respected devs discuss P3d v4 and I cant remember any devs having any negative thoughts on P3d v4 or 64 bit,s,looks like the good times are just starting to me.after all its the devs that give us the icing on the cake,the devs are once again mainly giving us a free transfer to P3dv4,thank you guys! we were told for ages nothing would work in a 64 bit sim and the cost of purchasing all our add ons all over again,if Orbx had charged me just £5 per item that would have cost me approx £200 So it seems the devs are behind P3dv4 doing any work mainly for free,from where i am standing there,s a hell of lot to be smiling about 

Peter

• Upvote 2

negatives: if you enjoy addons that have developers who left the community you might not be able to use their products in v4

I might have to wait days for my favorite addons, ezdok, activesky16, Orbx.

That is a short list, positives win! v4 is my first move into the P3D world and I am liking it.

Bunchy,

It may well be your favourite ski resort but I find EVERYBODY leaves the toilet seats up. This,

as we all know leads to CTDs in Charlies play group.  This has got to stop.

I know youall cannot see my body language, but, this is supposed to be funny.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

PS downloading P3Dv4 as I type ... yeehaaa

1 hour ago, 777200lrf said:

negatives: if you enjoy addons that have developers who left the community you might not be able to use their products in v4

I might have to wait days for my favorite addons, ezdok, activesky16, Orbx.

That is a short list, positives win! v4 is my first move into the P3D world and I am liking it.

AS16 and ORBX will be available pretty soon for v4, no idea about Ezdok - but you can use Chaseplane for this? :-)

1 minute ago, swiesma said:

AS16 and ORBX will be available pretty soon for v4, no idea about Ezdok - but you can use Chaseplane for this? :-)

The choice between ezdok and chaseplane was easy for me, 12 upgrade price for ezdokv2 compared to 40 for chaseplane. The developer says soon for v4 support probably by the weekend we everyone will have orbx, as16, and ezdok.

Sooner or later EZDOK will be available. I like the ground and in-air effects of that addon, which makes the experience so much more real. Don't know about these effects in Chaseplane.

I hope so :-) Yes, the price is higher, but just in case Ezdok will not be available you would still have an option :-)