sfgiants13

Biggest FPS Killer in V4

Recommended Posts

It looks like traffic was optimized quite a bit and road traffic doesn't cause any performance hit on my system.  AI still seems to cost me some FPS though.  What are the others that still cause the most FPS hit?  I've been toying around trying to find a sweet spot for V4 and I'm still working on it.  Dynamic reflections I assume are still a big one.

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

27 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

It looks like traffic was optimized quite a bit and road traffic doesn't cause any performance hit on my system.

I have been very disappointed by what I have seen and read about V4 so far. But road traffic doesn't cause any performance hit in V4? That alone would be amazing and makes me want to give V4 a try. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

For my system this is as far as i can say true.  I have 40 % road traffic at flytampa eham with full eham traffic at 4k and still get locked 30 fps.

Share this post


Link to post

I installed Ultimate Traffic Live. Biggest mistake. The traffic program grinds the sim to a halt. 

London is now 13 fps slideshow. Unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Piotr007 said:

I installed Ultimate Traffic Live. Biggest mistake. The traffic program grinds the sim to a halt. 

London is now 13 fps slideshow. Unacceptable.

Is ut live allready v4 compatible?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 331BK said:

Is ut live allready v4 compatible?

With some minor modifications to xml files.  Instructions are at the UTLive support site.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Your AI traffic should be dds formats and fsx not fs9 models are there any AI programs that have updated models? You would have to do this yourself going to alpha india, faib etc and getting the dds format repaints.

 

The biggest fps killer for me is terrain ground shadows.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Piotr007 said:

I installed Ultimate Traffic Live. Biggest mistake. The traffic program grinds the sim to a halt. 

London is now 13 fps slideshow. Unacceptable.

I haven't tried London, but I'm getting 30+ fps at Flightbeam KSFO with UT Live at 100%. Similar results at FSDT KLAX.  And that's with an old GTX 970.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Your AI traffic should be dds formats and fsx not fs9 models are there any AI programs that have updated models? 

Needing to be dds format rather than bmp format for textures to make an FPS difference is a bit of a fallacy and won't make a noticeable performance difference. Take a look at many of the stock textures in FSX or P3D or for that matter and you'll find loads of bmp format textures. DDS are needed for models that have an associated specular texture. If dds made a difference in performance you wouldn't find any of those being used in the sim.

Also, UT2 and UT Live use native FSX models for 99% of the models used, no need to replace them. WOAI on the other hand uses FS9 native models even for the packages labeled as for FSX.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Forkboy2 said:

With some minor modifications to xml files.  Instructions are at the UTLive support site.

Thank you will check it out

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Needing to be dds format rather than bmp format for textures to make an FPS difference is a bit of a fallacy and won't make a noticeable performance difference. Take a look at many of the stock textures in FSX or P3D or for that matter and you'll find loads of bmp format textures. DDS are needed for models that have an associated specular texture. If dds made a difference in performance you wouldn't find any of those being used in the sim.

Also, UT2 and UT Live use native FSX models for 99% of the models used, no need to replace them. WOAI on the other hand uses FS9 native models even for the packages labeled as for FSX.

Reason why I said dds format is due to bmp files are an easy tell for most AI models not being fully FSX (and P3D) compatible. There might be better ways but this works for me, AI-Aardvark and other models popular with AI programs might not be fully FSX/P3D compatible

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Forkboy2 said:

I haven't tried London, but I'm getting 30+ fps at Flightbeam KSFO with UT Live at 100%. Similar results at FSDT KLAX.  And that's with an old GTX 970.

 

What a/c ? Default? 

Share this post


Link to post

another thing came to mind about AI, uncheck simobject shadows this might help with some AI I remember in FSX some models would not display when ground shadows was enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, joemiller said:

What a/c ? Default? 

Yes, since that's pretty much all that's available at the moment.  I'm sure it will drop down a bit when I install a complex addon aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now