steve40

Inverted coastal waves in P3D v4 - and a solution

Recommended Posts

I don't know if it is just me, but in my P3D v4 installation the coastal waves effect is inverted so the tail of the wave is actually moving ahead of the wave!

I fixed this by using DXTBMP to flip all channels in textures "fx_swoosh.bmp" and "fx_swoosh2.bmp" from top-to-bottom (both these files are in the Effects\Texture folder).

- Steve

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I can confirm the same here. Tks for the solution.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, that was bothering me.  Thanks for the saying how to fix it!

Share this post


Link to post

Steve,

Thanks for posting, the wavers were looking weird to me as well.  Great job with the quick fix.

Is it possible for you to post the corrected swoosh.bmp and swoosh2.bmp files?  I have no experience manipulating bmp files. 

Is there a bug reporting system in P3D?

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jhelix70 said:

 

Steve,

Thanks for posting, the wavers were looking weird to me as well.  Great job with the quick fix.

Is it possible for you to post the corrected swoosh.bmp and swoosh2.bmp files?  I have no experience manipulating bmp files. 

 

Sorry to be a buzz kill but posting copyrighted material in an open forum is a violation of Avsim TOS and will result in suspension of posting privileges. Asking for someone to send it to you in an open forum is also a violation.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the info; I thought that might be the case, that is why I asked "Is it possible" .

Share this post


Link to post

Is flipping the alpha a sure fix that wont break anything else? cause I found similar textures in FSX installation with similar looking alpha.

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting... perhaps you should post this solution on the official LM forums?

@vgbaron - is it still a violation, if he just posted a solution but not shared any material? (I guess it is, but I'm genuinely curious).

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, jhelix70 said:

Thanks for the info; I thought that might be the case, that is why I asked "Is it possible" .

This is what I did (first time DXTBmp user):
Back up those two original files.
Download, install and run DXTBmp.
Open each bmp file.
For each, from the Image menu select "Flip Image and Alpha".
Save files.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2883/dxtbmp-dxt-extended-bitmap-editor/

gb.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, gboz said:

This is what I did (first time DXTBmp user):
Back up those two original files.
Download, install and run DXTBmp.
Open each bmp file.
For each, from the Image menu select "Flip Image and Alpha".
Save files.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2883/dxtbmp-dxt-extended-bitmap-editor/

gb.

Yeah, it's a one-click fix once you open the file in the editor.  Then save it and load the sim...  the wave animation works right now.

Share this post


Link to post

Pity the waves are still moving too fast......

gb.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, gboz said:

Pity the waves are still moving too fast......

gb.

PTA for P3D v4 has an adjustable wave speed parameter.

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, gboz said:

Pity the waves are still moving too fast......

gb.

Instructions for slowing down the waves have been provided here.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Interesting... perhaps you should post this solution on the official LM forums?

@vgbaron - is it still a violation, if he just posted a solution but not shared any material? (I guess it is, but I'm genuinely curious).

No that is fine it's just posting other people's copyrighted work that is the issue. I am sure LM would appreciate the info and include in a future patch. 

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, sorry for the delay. Posting the fix without links, etc is fine. Each person can then decide to work on their own file. Posting a link to the fixed file would be the violation. 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post

Which is why I posted instructions rather than the files themselves :cool:

Share this post


Link to post

Just a quick update, but if you have P3D4 Hotfix 1 you no longer need this inverted waves fix, as the hotfix has fixed the issue.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now