chiefnwa

ASCA vs Soft Clouds

Recommended Posts

So I currently have (and have had) soft clouds for quite a while. I like the textures but they didn't install properly into V4. Yes, I know it's not technically compatible but I gave it a try. It didn't work and now I have no cloud textures.

 

I just got AS16/ASP4 (upgraded from ASN) and I like the idea of having variable cloud textures, and from the pictures, the textures look pretty decent.

 

What do you all think? Upgrade to ASCA or stick around for the Rex update?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I use Envtex which is compatible with ASCA/AS16 for V4 .  Great texture pack

Share this post


Link to post

Because Rex 4 Texture Direct and Soft Clouds aren't ready for P3D v4 yet I decided to activate the textures within ASCA  ..... something I wouldn't of done if Rex was ready  .... and I must say I am very impressed!!

Rex need to get their skates on otherwise more people might be tempted to do this!! 

Share this post


Link to post

Personally I use Soft Clouds with V4. ASCA just doesn't sit well with me, looks weird and the clouds look very unnatural in many cases. Especially those cloud formations made up of many clouds just look downright awful. While Soft Clouds isn't perfect either, it looks a damn side better in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

I do not have ASCA, but Soft Clouds works vry well for me in v4.

Share this post


Link to post

I have REX and ASCA/AS16 for V4. Since REX isn't ready for v4. I may very well stay with ASCA/AS16. They're quick when it comes to updates.

Share this post


Link to post

REX has lead the airport and weather textures since they came on the scene in 2009, and IMHO there just isn't anything that comes close - likely due to the fact that nobody has (or will) but the time and effort into these textures that REX does. Also, REX customer support and their support for their older products is unrivaled regardless of the flight sim product one would compare them to!

REX has some INCREDIBLE products coming to market this year, and they are going to change our sim experience - not taking it up one level, but several levels!  At the very least I'd recommend getting on their mailing list!

Man, it's an exciting time for flight sim!  Just a few years ago we were wondering if FSX was the best we'd ever have - just look at us now!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Without question ASP4 and ASCA -  They are designed to work together to give you the best overall experience. Other clouds etc will work but they weren't designed to work with ASP4. IMHO, the dynamic cloud effects in real time with ASP4/ASCA are second to none and not available with other product.

But remember - anything that requires a visual interpretation is purely subjective and in the eye of the beholder. There is no "wrong" product - just different choices.

Vic

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

REX has lead the airport and weather textures since they came on the scene in 2009, and IMHO there just isn't anything that comes close - likely due to the fact that nobody has (or will) but the time and effort into these textures that REX does. Also, REX customer support and their support for their older products is unrivaled regardless of the flight sim product one would compare them to!

REX has some INCREDIBLE products coming to market this year, and they are going to change our sim experience - not taking it up one level, but several levels!  At the very least I'd recommend getting on their mailing list!

Man, it's an exciting time for flight sim!  Just a few years ago we were wondering if FSX was the best we'd ever have - just look at us now!

 

Well if you mean that REX copied the leading product (FEX) which still today has the better quality and variation of cloud/water/sky textures. What REX have been good at is marketing.

Don't take my word for it, look at the alpha channels (which is what defines the cloud quality) compared with FEX.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Keep in mind that ASCA/AS16 is strictly weather/cloud and sky texture. REX on the other hand does that plus you can change airport ground textures: water, runways, aprons, airport lighting and other enhancements.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, GSalden said:

AS / ASCA / EnvTex

👍🏻

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, ErichB said:

I use Envtex which is compatible with ASCA/AS16 for V4 .  Great texture pack

A very big +1.   Nicest combo I've seen in a long time.  The Envtex textures were created with ASCA specifically in mind.  Here's a link https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/envtex

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, bills511 said:

.REX . . you can change airport ground textures: water, runways, aprons, airport lighting and other enhancements.

Envtex also does this--and a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post

 

23 minutes ago, GSalden said:

AS / ASCA / EnvTex

Blimey, that little lot comes in at over 100 EUROS :bengong:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now