Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

Why Does my ATC suck so much

Hello, Maybe someone can help me. 

This always seems to happen to me. I was doing a flight from KMSP to KDEN, and everyone knows that KMSP is a very very busy airport with tons of gates. The runways always get SO congested, I literally gave up on the flight after like 40 minutes. There was like 15 aircraft waiting to takeoff all at once, and then 5 aircraft landing, all at once. This is so terrible, in real life, it seems to go very smooth without hiccup. 

Is this just because P3D has terrible ATC? My Traffic is set at 40% with UT. Can someone give me some advice would be greatly appreciated 

People these days have moved on to IVAO,Pilot Edge and Vatsim use all 3 to get maximum coverage 

5 minutes ago, ukplane1 said:

People these days have moved on to IVAO,Pilot Edge and Vatsim use all 3 to get maximum coverage 

Is that an add-on? Where do you get it?

Vatsim and Ivao are free  

Vatsim is more professional than Ivao

Pilotedge has a fee , the controllers get paid by that fee.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

41 minutes ago, ukplane1 said:

What happen when you are in the middle of the flight and the controller sign off, or your sim crash?

I've never used any of those so I'm just curious.

31 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wow you are really fast! j/k

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Lower your traffic.

I moved to Pilot2ATC for my ATC needs. But nothing might help you replicate real life.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

1 hour ago, Mitch24 said:

Is this just because P3D has terrible ATC? My Traffic is set at 40% with UT. Can someone give me some advice would be greatly appreciated 

it's not exactly an ATC issue.. none of the ATC packages control traffic other than VoxATC which generates it's own.

what you are seeing is the AI flightplans for all the planes at your airports. Probably from the default AI but add-on packages like mytraffic also add scheduled flights.

so if it's a busy time of day in the real world there's probably a lot of planes. thing is they all just basically start up and taxi to the gate. they don't really know about the other planes other than if there's one in front of them or on approach that they have to wait for. they also are all typically using one runway where in the world a busy airport like that may have multiple departure and landing runways flowing constantly. they stop and pause before takeoff instead of doing a rolling takeoff from the taxiway like might happen at a busy hub.

as pointed out above the easiest fix is just to drop your percentage down a bit to something where the amount of planes you have to wait for is comfortable to your liking. you might also want to look at using the AI limiter in FSUIPC if you have that, which can give your more flexibilty in controlling that. 

and to re-iterate my point, these issues will happen with pretty much any ATC package. some of them will play messages of giving instructions to the AI traffic but they are really just detecting it, not actually controlling. but if you find the right balance of settings it can feel reasonably realistic.

good luck

cheers,-andy crosby

4 minutes ago, spesimen said:

it's not exactly an ATC issue.. none of the ATC packages control traffic other than VoxATC which generates it's own.

what you are seeing is the AI flightplans for all the planes at your airports. Probably from the default AI but add-on packages like mytraffic also add scheduled flights.

so if it's a busy time of day in the real world there's probably a lot of planes. thing is they all just basically start up and taxi to the gate. they don't really know about the other planes other than if there's one in front of them or on approach that they have to wait for. they also are all typically using one runway where in the world a busy airport like that may have multiple departure and landing runways flowing constantly. they stop and pause before takeoff instead of doing a rolling takeoff from the taxiway like might happen at a busy hub.

as pointed out above the easiest fix is just to drop your percentage down a bit to something where the amount of planes you have to wait for is comfortable to your liking. you might also want to look at using the AI limiter in FSUIPC if you have that, which can give your more flexibilty in controlling that. 

and to re-iterate my point, these issues will happen with pretty much any ATC package. some of them will play messages of giving instructions to the AI traffic but they are really just detecting it, not actually controlling. but if you find the right balance of settings it can feel reasonably realistic.

good luck

cheers,-andy crosby

So the programs listed above won't fix this issue with the hoards of planes going to the runway when I start a flight? 

Is this something Lockheed Martin could improve with P3D? Like dynamic ATC and AI Flightplans where planes will take off on different runways.. etc. 

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for LM to totally revamp the ATC code. If it ever happens it'll be years from now.

I would suggest EditVoicePackXL which is a cheap payware purchase, but provides a very simple way to basically accelerate how fast ATC talks to aircraft. On the fastest setting it can significantly help out with clearing traffic jams (although it's not perfect by any means.) Second, I would turn down your traffic density a bit. It's really the only thing you can do that will keep things flowing smoothly with 100% certainty.

Use traffic zapper in FSUIPC.

F5lE1P8.jpg

Or just taxi to the head of the line right through the AI.  

AI uses flightplans with times. When you start the sim it takes into account all the AI up to half an hour before the sim start time. This is why it is always chaos "initally." You will find some AI using the default weather at start-up and some using the injected weather from an add-on. If you are using injected weather make sure that it is present in the aircraft systems and instruments. Check the QNH and the airfield elevation on your altimeter. Some weather engines allow you to update AI. If so do that too.

As for the likes of vatsim. Yes, they are good but only if you have controllers on the route you want to fly at that time. A much better option would be an add-on like PF3. Thus giving you the flexibility to fly when you want and where you want. It is fully supported and updated frequently. Fully compliant with FAA and ICAO, and IFR and VFR procedures.

I have my AI traffic set to 70%. PF3 allows me to jump the queue for take-off and change my gate if the desgnated one is occupied.

As mentioned above when you start up the sim, any AI aircraft that was supposed to depart in the previous 30 minutes or so will try to taxi and take off.  At a busy airport that's a huge amount of traffic trying to move at once.  

If you're flying a lightly simulated aircraft where you also start taxiing for takeoff within 5 minutes of the sim starting you'll get caught in that traffic.  I normally fly aircraft that require more time to set up for the flight, so by the time I'm moving 15-20 minutes later things have settled out and returned to normal.

I can also vouch for editvoicepack, I run default ATC on the second highest speed and that definitely helps.

Another thing to consider is the afx file for the airport.  IRL, busy airports with parallel runways will primarily use one runway for departures and one for arrivals.  Some add on airports include this configuration and some don't.  The default ATC is not that good at managing busy runway operations with both arrivals and departures on the same runway, nor are AI aircraft that good at vacating the runway quickly after they land.  So anytime you have a busy runway with mixed operations, things will quickly grind to a halt.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, vololiberista said:

AI uses flightplans with times. When you start the sim it takes into account all the AI up to half an hour before the sim start time. This is why it is always chaos "initally." You will find some AI using the default weather at start-up and some using the injected weather from an add-on. If you are using injected weather make sure that it is present in the aircraft systems and instruments. Check the QNH and the airfield elevation on your altimeter. Some weather engines allow you to update AI. If so do that too.

As for the likes of vatsim. Yes, they are good but only if you have controllers on the route you want to fly at that time. A much better option would be an add-on like PF3. Thus giving you the flexibility to fly when you want and where you want. It is fully supported and updated frequently. Fully compliant with FAA and ICAO, and IFR and VFR procedures.

I have my AI traffic set to 70%. PF3 allows me to jump the queue for take-off and change my gate if the desgnated one is occupied.

Thanks for the advice on PF3, but that program doesn't control your AI Traffic... so you are not really fixing the issue, just working around it. Are there any programs that also control the AI traffic to fly more realistic?