Sign in to follow this  
spearmint_flyer

LM working on rain effects.

15 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Saw he mentioned there was a prototype rain effect on the default Mooney, so I checked it out and did a recording if anyone else was interested

https://streamable.com/rex9t

Thankfully that's just a prototype.

Thanks for finding that. Good start. The basic functionality is there, just needs to look pretty.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Saw he mentioned there was a prototype rain effect on the default Mooney, so I checked it out and did a recording if anyone else was interested

I'm amazed no one spotted this earlier when just messing about with the sim.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

46 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

It looks like the same texture as fs9/fsx but the method to implement changed by LM. Opening the effect up to developers making their own effect texture.

Support for sound of rain on windscreen too?

Maybe in reality it can't be heard over the sound of engine, but would be nice... especially if the sound can intensify depending on the amount of rain/speed of aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Matthew S

2 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Thank you for digging this up. It's a starting point. Devs like OldProp and and even aircraft developers can work of this. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Just glad that VC rain effects are going to be back!  Sure the final version will be better.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

1 hour ago, warriorpilot said:

Thank you for digging this up. It's a starting point. Devs like OldProp and and even aircraft developers can work of this. 

Other than it's a LUA script rather than XML, the prototype rain effect is coded almost exactly the same way that the effect is coded in the RealAir Turbine Duke V2.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Other than it's a LUA script rather than XML, the prototype rain effect is coded almost exactly the same way that the effect is coded in the RealAir Turbine Duke V2.

Which I might add, is quite good on frame rates.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Looks very nice.

Quite right, it adds to the immersion, indeed. What would truly be amazing is that, if they could create it so the windscreen-wipers actually removed water from the windscreen, somehow... but that would probably be too heavy on frames, I guess.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

4 hours ago, pugilist2 said:

Just glad that VC rain effects are going to be back!  Sure the final version will be better.

That is what i hope too. Looks ok right now but still some space to improve the effect.

Carsten U

Its like we are living the FSX Steam days all over again. LM does something consumers want, consumers make noise about it, LM follows suit. 

Innovation is a good thing. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

What exactly were "the FSX Steam days"? I hope you weren't alluding to anything related to Microsoft  as it was totally unresponsive  to its FSX customers, despite the good intentions of some ACES  staff.

2 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

What exactly were "the FSX Steam days"? I hope you weren't alluding to anything related to Microsoft  as it was totally unresponsive  to its FSX customers, despite the good intentions of some ACES  staff.

I was wondering the same thing. It is getting harder to compare LM and Prepar3d to anything FSX other than of course FSX did a lot to get us all here. I think it is getting time to think about AVSIM.Prepar3d.com. I don't care much about the X-pain, DTG news and releases and ads.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

9 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Which I might add, is quite good on frame rates.

Same with Antsairplanes (Eaglet). Nice rain effects with no noticeable fps hit.

Actually, whilst the rain effects are nice, and I certainly won't object to them being in there, I would hope that LM might take the opportunity to push things along a bit further if they are working on this. Some of you may recall that as far back as in FS2004, there were a number of add-on aeroplanes which had an icing effect on the windscreens in addition to the rain effect (the Ariane 737 NG was one such add on aeroplane).

This was actually a more than mere eye candy feature for those who like operating their simulated aeroplanes properly - unless you count the early effects of heavy rainfall on a CFM 56 before they modified the spinner, when rain actually could cause the engine to shut down lol - whereby if you see some ice forming on the windshield, you can be pretty sure it is gonna be on the wings and the tailplane too, and therefore time to start turning on those anti-ice systems, unless you want to be landing at 250 knots with no flaps lol.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here