strider1

Live: X-Plane Developer Q&A

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If anyone watched the entire thing, could they summarise anything they may have announced?

• Upvote 1

Nothing new over and above Flightsmcon Tony.

Ben did say that the draw distance for lights is on his agenda but he has stated that before in his blog - he expanded to say it is not trivial  - I got the impression the fix is more likely to come with Vulkan.

No new weather system or seasons in this run was my take.

....and they are not going to introduce submarines 

cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter

Austin is too much this time of the morning for me :-). Pretty much nothing new. I'm looking forward to DTG's announcement later, hopefully it won't disappoint.

• Upvote 1

Same here, i tried watching it but after a bit hearing too much of Austin makes me confused.

I hope some good soul will make a recap or something :D

I just want 11.10 to get released... Austin has mentioned it will bring updated prop effects, updated rotary wing flight dynamics - we lost VRS in xp11, since the beginning ... - and other stuff.

Time will tell - I  have long given up on building any huge expectations regarding x-plane.

What Austin says is for a simple bavarian like me not always easy to comprehend. But I like the enthusiasm he carries over to his team. Great guys. Most things they said are already known, but what a pity, no seasonal textures in sight...

Tom

I watch every video at 1.5x speed to save time, but everytime Austin talks, I have to get it back to 1x speed to understand him.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Time will tell - I  have long given up on building any huge expectations regarding x-plane.

Yep, it's best not to expect much. Things have been promised by Austin since v10 and still waiting.

Some things:

. the tire screeching sound will be improved by limiting the rate of tire steering (that was causing it);

. ATC at non towered airports will be introduced, and AI aircrafts will use it as well;

. No new weather system anytime soon (so presumably not during the v11 run);

. Refinements of the ground effect (downwash on tail) for X-Plane 11.10, and more refinements for subsequent releases;

. Repeating water patterns will be fixed "in the future";

. Improvements in floatplane physics high in the priority list (if I understood correctly);

. ATC to issue SIDs and STARs is in the roadmap;

. A planned streamlining of scenery loading, should yield better loading times and better night light distance as a byproduct.

Yep, it's best not to expect much. Things have been promised by Austin since v10 and still waiting.

Hopefully, things will improve? :-)

. For the first time, Laminar Research has no shortages of programmers and artists, and the improvements in the pace of development is already noticeable for them.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

. No new weather system anytime soon (so presumably not during the v11 run);

Maybe this is a dumb question but why wouldn't this be priority?  IMO this is the number one thing holding xplane back.  I really hope Hifi can work a miracle when they come to xplane.

13 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Maybe this is a dumb question but why wouldn't this be priority?  IMO this is the number one thing holding xplane back.  I really hope Hifi can work a miracle when they come to xplane.

i believe austin said they are opening alot more SDK in 11.10 so other developers can build stuff and LR can focus on other stuff

• Upvote 1

One thing I was a little disappointed in was the fact that it didn't sound like there was a proper fix for seeing the lights through the clouds in any reasonable time frame. Ben explained that it was hard to get the drawing order correct and I don't feel this was properly addressed in the session.

Along with the weather I think this is another area that really deserves attention now. I hope the is something more positive going to happen with this.

• Upvote 1

I wonder when they plan on adding the new autogen city enhancements to Las Vegas etc......

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Maybe they can, but I'm still skeptical that a 3rd party developer can totally replace the weather engine in a way that gives us true 3D weather, with discrete systems like towering CBs and vertical convection.

It seems that better weather just isn't a priority for the v11 cycle at Laminar. It may be that the kind of changes we all want, would be too heavy a hit on the CPU/GPU at a time when they're focused on optimizing performance. A massively better weather engine would probably be at cross-purposes with that goal.

Either that, or Laminar is coasting, and taking advantage of the fact that people seem to be happy with 3rd party addons like ExEnviro, which are basically just eye candy and not fundamental improvements in the weather engine. I hope that's not the case.

1 hour ago, michaelray said:

One thing I was a little disappointed in was the fact that it didn't sound like there was a proper fix for seeing the lights through the clouds in any reasonable time frame. Ben explained that it was hard to get the drawing order correct and I don't feel this was properly addressed in the session.

Along with the weather I think this is another area that really deserves attention now. I hope the is something more positive going to happen with this.

Well, at least he acknowledged that it was a problem. He seemed to sidestep it by saying that we need better GPU hardware, but if he knows it's a problem then maybe it will get fixed at some point. Or at least improved. It's encouraging to hear that Austin is doing enough night flying to notice this, since ultimately I think he's the one setting the main priorities for developer time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

It seems that better weather just isn't a priority for the v11 cycle at Laminar.

Yeah, the weather system is basically the same from X-Plane 6, apart from the addition of 3d clouds. In some respects it's even worse, because in the past it used to have some features like dynamic changes over time (although globally) and downdrafts.

With the concrete rumours of DTG FS further improving weather with the addition of TrueSky, that's one key area where X-Plane is gonna fall even more behind compared to competition.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Well, at least he acknowledged that it was a problem. He seemed to sidestep it by saying that we need better GPU hardware, but if he knows it's a problem then maybe it will get fixed at some point. Or at least improved. It's encouraging to hear that Austin is doing enough night flying to notice this, since ultimately I think he's the one setting the main priorities for developer time.

And I think you are mistaken. In such an environment he will be rather carefull not to push too much.

Bens Problem is simply: There is no real solution since the graphics hardware is in no position to really calculate translucent things like clouds. So everything of the clouds is faked. You try to create something that looks like a cloud and people believe that it is a cloud, but it is only an amount of tricks. So there is no right or wrong, there are only better compromises.

So it isn't really a bug that you can fix, it is more that you have to find a better idea how to fake a cloud. But right now there is a huge amount of real bugs and improvements other members of the team depend on. The graphics engine has to become faster and more efficient.

The particle engine has to be activated. In fact the water effects of FSW are only a slight modification of their particle engine..

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I'm very interested to see if TrueSky actually makes it into FSW or not. On the other hand, I'm not familiar enough with what TrueSky actually is.

Is it just fancy eye candy or dynamic systems? Some flight simmers seem to be easily impressed with pretty sunsets and puffy cumulus under a blue sky. Me, I want those raging storms tossing my plane around (if I'm dumb enough not to steer around those CBs). The skies in flight sims are way too safe. :happy:

P.S. looks like no weather news today with FSW, it's pax and cold/dark starts.

1 minute ago, Paraffin said:

Yeah, I'm very interested to see if TrueSky actually makes it into FSW or not. On the other hand, I'm not familiar enough with what TrueSky actually is.

Well True Sky is a direct competitor of SilverLining, the engine behind Sky Maxx Pro. It has a bit more features but it won't be a magic wand.

2 hours ago, pugilist2 said:

I wonder when they plan on adding the new autogen city enhancements to Las Vegas etc......

It's close to release I think - it is out on test at the moment with a few people.

cheers

Peter

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

4 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Maybe they can, but I'm still skeptical that a 3rd party developer can totally replace the weather engine in a way that gives us true 3D weather, with discrete systems like towering CBs and vertical convection.

Will be interesting to see what HiFi (Active Sky) come up with - they said at Flightsimcon they have made a major breakthrough with XP11 and hope to release toward the end of the year.

cheers

Peter

• Upvote 1

Just now, CaptCWGAllen said:

Will be interesting to see what HiFi (Active Sky) come up with - they said at Flightsimcon they have made a major breakthrough with XP11 and hope to release toward the end of the year.

CAref7ull in their own forum they were not ready to speculate about a release date. So I wouldn't bet on this year. And we shouldn't forget that Laminar is in the process of moving to Vulkan. In fact this might be a major reason why they don't concentrate on weather now.. The new graphics engine would open new possibilities.

But this might also be a reason for Hifi not to turn on afterburners.

• Upvote 3

I have to say I really enjoyed this stream, especially with the almost the entire LR team being there, and hope hope they do more of these at their next meetings. Not all of it was new, but we got a very personal Q&A session and that's what it was advertised as.

3 hours ago, michaelray said:

This was a very general all over the place Q&A session, so I don't think you could expect that. You can always comment on the issue on the dev blog and see if you can get some more info. Probably doesn't lead to it getting improved any faster though.