GAJ52

Is the JS41 still being concidered for P3D ?

I know its been stated previously that the JS41 will be converted for use within the P3D platform as some stage in the future, so please don't redirect me to previous posts.  However business considerations change all the time and I understand priorities change within the PMDG development cycle.

My question - is the JS41 'currently' still on course for transition to the P3D platform and latterly P3Dv4.  My sole reason for keeping FSX on my hard drive is to fly the great JS41, if the JS moves over to P3D then sadly its good bye FSX.

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

PMDG has not given any announcements to the contrary, yet.

Now that the DC-6 is out for both platofrms, that only leaves them with a couple of other things left that we know about: The 737-600/700 update for P3D4, and the 747-8 expansion

Hopefully once those are out and they're less rushed there might be some news then. At least I hope so, since although I'm not an owner of the JS41 I know it would make a lot of people happy to have it in a 64 bit version.

Gents,

We need to conduct an in depth engineering review of this product in order to determine if it is feasible to update it for compatiblity with FSX-SE and both versions of P3D.

There are a number of road blocks that make it unlikely that it can be done without a very significant effort- but we haven't ruled it out yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

We need to conduct an in depth engineering review of this product in order to determine if it is feasible to update it for compatiblity with FSX-SE and both versions of P3D.

There are a number of road blocks that make it unlikely that it can be done without a very significant effort- but we haven't ruled it out yet.

Robert, the J41 is by far the PMDG plane that I own with the highest number of hours and would gladly pay the $70 bucks for it. It's really a shame to think I will never fly it again. It was a perfect airplane to fly when I wanted to have fun hand flying instead of button pressing. PMDG doesn't have any other planes like it which made it so special. 

Of course, if you wanted to do a B1900 redux I wouldn't be too angry ;)

Oh yes - I miss the J41 in p3dv4. Such a lovely short hauler with heart and soul. I would happily pay if you would consider it for p3dv4

11 minutes ago, AlexanderBarger said:

Oh yes - I miss the J41 in p3dv4. Such a lovely short hauler with heart and soul. I would happily pay if you would consider it for p3dv4

1 hour ago, NoahBryant said:

Robert, the J41 is by far the PMDG plane that I own with the highest number of hours and would gladly pay the $70 bucks for it. It's really a shame to think I will never fly it again. It was a perfect airplane to fly when I wanted to have fun hand flying instead of button pressing. PMDG doesn't have any other planes like it which made it so special. 

Of course, if you wanted to do a B1900 redux I wouldn't be too angry ;)

I may have missed the point of both your posts, but I don't think Robert meant if people will pay for it we'll do it. I think he meant that the age of the code means that it's not likely to happen. Look at the 737 it's a lot newer than the JS41 and that was tough for them to make compatible with P3Dv4. It's not about money, it's more likely to be about the months and months of code rewrites that would need to occur for it to happen. What I'm getting at here, don't turn this into the next MD-11 thread of I'll pay for it so do it. PMDG will do it if they feel it's reasonably possible to do it, whether you'll pay for it or not. I'm sure they'd truly love to give everyone what they want, but some things are just not reasonably possible.

• Upvote 1

Please do not get me wrong, I do not want another md-11 thread. I just wanted to express my positive feelings about this aircraft :-)

10 minutes ago, AlexanderBarger said:

Please do not get me wrong, I do not want another md-11 thread. I just wanted to express my positive feelings about this aircraft :-)

No problem, I knew I'd probably read it the wrong way just wanted to clarify before it did turn MD-11 haha

The J41 is very niche.  To this day, I'm still surprised that PMDG every did it.  

Of the two,  I'd have thought the MD-11 would have been more in the running for a remake - and also in higher demand.  I'd love to see fligthsim revenue figures by product.

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

The J41 is very niche.  To this day, I'm still surprised that PMDG every did it.  

Of the two,  I'd have thought the MD-11 would have been more in the running for a remake - and also in higher demand.  I'd love to see fligthsim revenue figures by product.

I believe the JS41 is the same as the DC-6, they were foundations for new developments and were developed to see what could be done, they were never made to sell well, they were made for the development knowledge. The JS41 founded the for the NGX, 777 and 747.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

I believe the JS41 is the same as the DC-6, they were foundations for new developments and were developed to see what could be done, they were never made to sell well, they were made for the development knowledge. The JS41 founded the for the NGX, 777 and 747.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that being the case.   Yet, it is still being considered for a remake.

11 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Yet, it is still being considered for a remake.

It's hasn't been ruled out yet. Whether or not it's actively being considered for a remake, is ... well... another thing... 

Surprised to read that it may take significant effort to get it to run in FSX:SE.  AFAIK the only thing that doesn't work is IAS Hold, I've not noticed anything else.  Conversion to 64-bit is I'm sure more difficult but aren't there enough FSX:SE users to warrant the work?

• Upvote 1

I know that a few people won't sway PMDG, I'm only pushing for it because I have a close connection to the the largest operator of the 41. So I'm being biased. :cool:

To be honest, if they build it, I'll teach myself to fly it.  To me, it's a win win

My point was that I am not expecting it to be done for free. I have money and want to spend it on what is probably my favorite plane ever in FS. 

That being said, comparing the J41 to the MD11 isn't the same either. If I recall, the J41 was mostly a testbed for new visual effects/ methods and was never anything close to a study-level sim. It also was connected to a lot of default FSX functionality rather than the custom everything in the 7x7s.  While it would have to be re-done for 64bit, they already have a visual model in place which is part of the battle at least. 

We're at a point where PMDG hasn't announced anything major at all. Every plane has been released and whatever the next big project is it's a long way off so it may be beneficial to have smaller projects to bring at least a little extra revenue. 

Plus, it sure doesn't hurt to remind Robert that amongst all the people screaming about their Boeings, there are still those of us who appreciate the JS41 almost as much as he did. 

Hi there Noah,

Glad to see how much you like the J41. I share the same appreciation for it.

Just a tiny correction: the J41 actually has very little default FSX functionality :wink:

• Upvote 1

Wasn't the original 41 near study sim level? (I didn't have enough time with it before moving to P3D)

8 minutes ago, Humberside said:

Wasn't the original 41 near study sim level? (I didn't have enough time with it before moving to P3D)

It had a lot of features unique to that product.  The props and turboengine modelling very realistic.  The FMS is a simplified version of a very early FMS before GPS was a thing.  The study sim categorization cannot be used because it doesn't provide for programmable failures, but when a failure occurs the results are faithful to the real thing.  Best of all, RSR flew this thing early in his career and received his personal care and attention to detail.

I truly hope it finds its way into P3D, my logbook would fill up with JS41 flights alongside my B736 BBJ and the DC-6A.

I just wish to add a few words in support of the fantastic PMDG JS41:

Of all airplanes which I have flown in FSX, it has by far the most interesting and most demanding engine model (Honeywell / Garrett TPE 331). The way this bird has to be flown ("slow down, then go down"), its instrumentation, its sound... simply everything makes it a unique creation.

Michael

The J41 wasn't an aircraft I expected to like at first... But I fell in love with her, hard.

So much so, that I really, really considered blowing up a perfectly fine and fully kitted out FSX:SE install and reverting back to the old boxed version, just for this single aircraft.

Really missing this nifty little thing. But I do understand that there are technical limitations that may impact the feasibility of updating this product.
So I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope the roadblocks are small enough not to keep this from happening.

And I do hope you'll forgive me for not managing to stay silent when a topics as this one come up. :blush: